Kohler 12 050 01 cross to lower cost auto filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone already have the info on what is a lower cost auto oil filter that replaces the Kohler 12 050 01 filter? Seems the Wix 51056 is even more expensive than the Kohler filter. Thanks

Motorcraft FL-910S, Purolator 10241, Wix 51348, or any other equivalent to that size.

I'm running the FL-910S on my Kohler.

20121129_214609.jpg

I use Fram numbers because they are familiar.

I see the WIX 51056 relates to either the PH8170 (short) or PH8172 (tall)

The PH3614 size is pretty close in size. Gasket ID and OD is the same. Can OD is really close. Threads are the same. Gasket Thickness is a little different. The biggest size difference is the height. The relief valve is different, 9-17psi for the 8170/8172 and 12PSI for the 3614.

The 3614 filter is used extensively on cars. Just about every Chrysler 4 cylinder prior to 2008 used this filter. All of the 1.9 SOHC and DOHC Saturns used this. It's also used on a number of 90s-early 2000s Toyota V6s. Looks like some of the newer Fords are using this size too.

And for the record, I use the 3614 size on my 1992 John Deere STX30 with a Kohler 9HP.

Wix 51348 (short) and 51516 (long) seem to have the same specs for about $6.

The Purolator Classic L10241 and L20195 have a slightly higher bypass setting, but are $3 at WM.

Double check, but I think that's right.

Take any Wix number, substitue the "5" in front for a "2" and that's the equivalent Napa ProSelect filter. Or, substitute a "3" for a Napa Silver.

Like Racer, I also now use the Fram 3614 filter on my Deere mower, in my case the XG3614 Ultra... a top end full syn filter.

Any small, 3/4-16 threaded filter will suffice just fine.

Those Kohler filters are nothing to get excited about; anything that fits will more than suffice.

It's not like the Kohler will screech to a halt because you used some alternate filter, as long as the attributes are "same-as or better" (flow, delta-P, etc).

The 51348 Wix (NG1348) will do find and can be easily found. Would be equivilant to the MC FL910S. If you have the room, the ubiquitous 51516; ph3600; FL400S; L20195 series would also work, and is on about every part shelf known to man, so price and availability should be a no-brainer.

Last edited:
I used Royal Purple 10-2835 for two years before changing it.
The oil filter will almost empty when you drain oil and there was a plug I took out to completely drain the housing.
Used RP 5W30 also. Stuff would drain out spotless at end of season.

Last edited:
FWIW I have two Fleetguard LF16108 filters coming for a new 23HP Command's first (and subsequent) oil change/s.

Don't even know what they are costing, I just rang Cummins and said to send them (along with a bunch of other filters)

The Fleetguard filters turned up and they're made by Champion Labs and aren't cheap.

Oh well, I know for the third oil/filter change.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Any small, 3/4-16 threaded filter will suffice just fine.

It depends on the engine. My 27HP oil filter mount has its openings near the edge, and many of the FL400S type filters just don't have the gasket width to cover it enough to stop leaking.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

Those Kohler filters are nothing to get excited about; anything that fits will more than suffice.

It's not like the Kohler will screech to a halt because you used some alternate filter, as long as the attributes are "same-as or better" (flow, delta-P, etc).

I agree, assuming it fits correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back