very unhappy with cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to where I bought the cs4 touring. Been having a vibration ever since having them put on (covered in previous thread)
Found out they didnt seat on the bead correctly.
tried 3 sets they ALL had the same issue. Tried excessive psi still wouldnt pop on correctly, up to 90psi.
well since I bought them with a buy 3 get one free and a mail in rebate I couldnt get a tire of equal value.
so I decided on the sumic gta with only a 45,000 tread life.
so I dont expect the life that I expected out of the coopers. But they handle as good are as quiet and are SMOOTH.
I will probably never buy another set of cooper tires.
very unhappy with their product.
Keep it in mind if you are considering these tires.
and for those of you that say it was just your car. The guy told me there was a honda fit in the shop for the same tires yesterday and they couldnt get them to seat propely either.
Different speed rating but same factory he said. So cooper has an obvious issue that I hope they address!!

Last edited:
That's too bad. I have two sets in two different rim sizes and have been really happy with them. No issues whatsoever.

Obviously they have a bad lot. Do you have records of how many tires they tried to swap? How much time youve spent?

Id write a letter to cooper corporate expressing your upset.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Didn't they just get bought by a company from India?

I thought that was a different Cooper honestly, but I could be wrong.

I have the those Sumic GTA tires on my SL2 right now. I've put 11k on them so far and they are more than adequate. I just did a road trip and I am very pleased with the performance for the total price I paid at Les Schwab, $294 OTD with great warranty and 5k rotations included.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
That's too bad. I have two sets in two different rim sizes and have been really happy with them. No issues whatsoever.

Obviously they have a bad lot. Do you have records of how many tires they tried to swap? How much time youve spent?

I do have proof of how many the swapped yes.
these were usa made as well.

Originally Posted By: bourne

your point ?

Growing pains
21.gif

Oftentimes when a company is taken over by a foreign entity, things can go sideways for a bit. Was wondering if this was a case of that.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig

http://coopertire.com/News/Corporate-New...BBER-COMPA.aspx

Quote:
APOLLO TYRES TO ACQUIRE COOPER TIRE & RUBBER COMPANY

Combination Creates World’s Seventh-Largest Tire Company with $6.6 Billion in Revenue

GURGAON, India and FINDLAY, Ohio, USA – June 12, 2013 – Apollo Tyres Ltd (NSE: ApolloTYRE) and Cooper Tire & Rubber Company (NYSE: CTB) today announced the execution of a definitive merger agreement under which a wholly-owned subsidiary of Apollo will acquire Cooper in an all-cash transaction valued at approximately $2.5 billion. Under the terms of the agreement, which has been unanimously approved by the boards of directors of both companies, Cooper stockholders will receive $35.00 per share in cash. The transaction represents a 40% premium to Cooper’s 30-day volume-weighted average price.

They bought them in June.

I have had bad Michelin(aftermarket) and Bridgestone tires(OEM). Both companies made me whole and replaced them promptly (entire set) since a Subaru.

Quote:

Combination Creates World’s Seventh-Largest Tire Company with $6.6 Billion in Revenue

GURGAON, India and FINDLAY, Ohio, USA – June 12, 2013 – Apollo Tyres Ltd (NSE: ApolloTYRE) and Cooper Tire & Rubber Company (NYSE: CTB) today announced the execution of a definitive merger agreement under which a wholly-owned subsidiary of Apollo will acquire Cooper in an all-cash transaction valued at approximately $2.5 billion. Under the terms of the agreement, which has been unanimously approved by the boards of directors of both companies, Cooper stockholders will receive $35.00 per share in cash. The transaction represents a 40% premium to Cooper’s 30-day volume-weighted average price.

umm...no.
This transaction has yet to be completed.
Apollo is now holding out for a lower price per share.
My guess is that this deal isn't going to happen.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Quote:

umm...no.

Thanks for pointing that out, as it hasn't been mentioned on here I don't believe:

http://coopertire.com/News/Corporate-New...ing-Merger.aspx

Quote:
COOPER ISSUES STATEMENT REGARDING PENDING MERGER

Cooper does not agree that a reduction in share price is warranted

FINDLAY, Ohio, USA – October 7, 2013 – Today, Cooper Tire & Rubber Company (NYSE: CTB) issued the following statement regarding the pending merger with Apollo Tyres (NSE: ApolloTYRE).

“Cooper, in its filing on Friday, October 4, is acting in the best interests of its stockholders, who overwhelmingly approved the pending merger with Apollo for $35 per share. As outlined in the complaint, Cooper rejected Apollo’s efforts to obtain a reduction in share price. Cooper does not agree that any such reduction is warranted.

“We are pleased that Apollo shares Cooper's commitment to the strategic merits of the transaction. The situations with the United Steelworkers (USW) and the joint venture partner and union in China are a direct result of the merger agreement, and are risks Apollo assumed under the merger agreement. The situation with the USW can be resolved in a timely manner, and we ask that Apollo proceed expeditiously toward resolution, working with Cooper. With respect to China, Cooper explained in the complaint filed on October 4, and in an earlier proxy statement, that the company has been prevented by the joint venture partner and union access to certain operational and financial information. We continue to work toward resolving the issues in China through communication with the workers, union and the joint venture partner. Cooper looks forward to closing this compelling transaction, which will provide multiple benefits to both organizations, their employees, customers and communities.”

OVERKILL said:

Quote:

umm...no.

Thanks for pointing that out, as it hasn't been mentioned on here I don't believe:

http://coopertire.com/News/Corporate-New...ing-Merger.aspx

Quote:
COOPER ISSUES STATEMENT REGARDING PENDING MERGER

Cooper does not agree that a reduction in share price is warranted

FINDLAY, Ohio, USA – October 7, 2013 – Today, Cooper Tire & Rubber Company (NYSE: CTB) issued the following statement regarding the pending merger with Apollo Tyres (NSE: ApolloTYRE).

“Cooper, in its filing on Friday, October 4, is acting in the best interests of its stockholders, who overwhelmingly approved the pending merger with Apollo for $35 per share. As outlined in the complaint, Cooper rejected Apollo’s efforts to obtain a reduction in share price. Cooper does not agree that any such reduction is warranted.

“We are pleased that Apollo shares Cooper's commitment to the strategic merits of the transaction. The situations with the United Steelworkers (USW) and the joint venture partner and union in China are a direct result of the merger agreement, and are risks Apollo assumed under the merger agreement. The situation with the USW can be resolved in a timely manner, and we ask that Apollo proceed expeditiously toward resolution, working with Cooper. With respect to China, Cooper explained in the complaint filed on October 4, and in an earlier proxy statement, that the company has been prevented by the joint venture partner and union access to certain operational and financial information. We continue to work toward resolving the issues in China through communication with the workers, union and the joint venture partner. Cooper looks forward to closing this compelling transaction, which will provide multiple benefits to both organizations, their employees, customers and communities.”

WSJ, Tuesday 10/15, page B3.
The article was about Hankook building a US plant in TN.
The Cooper deal was mentioned in it.
Apollo seems to be feeling a little buyer's remorse.
Whether they can be forced to complete the transaction at the originally agreed share price is another matter.
I too thought this was a done deal back in the early summer.
Either way, Apollo will likely face shareholder suits in US federal court.
You can't do business in the US and escape its legal system.

WSJ, Tuesday 10/15, page B3.
The article was about Hankook building a US plant in TN.
The Cooper deal was mentioned in it.
Apollo seems to be feeling a little buyer's remorse.
Whether they can be forced to complete the transaction at the originally agreed share price is another matter.
I too thought this was a done deal back in the early summer.
Either way, Apollo will likely face shareholder suits in US federal court.
You can't do business in the US and escape its legal system.

Well thank you for bringing it up, I had assumed, as I'm sure many others had, that due to the verbiage on the earlier news article that it was a done deal
smile.gif

Of course this also means that the poor QC on the OP's tires can't be chalked up to the transitional period of ownership change either
21.gif
Don't know what's going on there then.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I do have proof of how many the swapped yes.
these were usa made as well.

ram_man!
Just out of curiosity, what size are you running?

Last edited:
It seems odd that it wouldd happen on more than one set of the CS4 tires, I agree with the other poster than possibly a bad batch where the beads were not manufactured correctly on those tires. I'm curious as to what size these are, wheels (alloy or steel, stock or aftermarket), vehicle? I haven't had any issues mounting coopers in general, even in their low-profile RS3-a offerings.

[on another note on a personal vehicle (brother's miata): I've had to use up to 90PSI (which I do not endorse, recommend or encourage at all) to seat beads of Dunlop Direzza StarSpec 205/50R15 on a 15x7 Kosei K1 wheel. Granted the tires sat for over a year; the rubber may have hardened a bit (the bead is pretty stiff on these dunlop starspec tires compared to anything else I mount on a daily basis including run-flats), but I did it in increments to gradually seat it, held at 40PSi for a few minutes, then 60, 70, 80 and 90, all done in a brannick air cage while also carefully listening to make sure the bead wasn't ripping. Not all the tires needed to go that high just two of four. Plenty of mounting paste used on the beads of the tires as well as the bead seats on the wheel. The Kosei K1 wheels have a pretty wicked drop center; almost a 90-degree angle from the drop center to the top bead seat area.]

Last edited:
I wouldn't be sour on Cooper for just this one event , I'm sure there was some reason for it . I would take the time to contact Cooper and let them know what you went through and I'm betting they'll make it right with you .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back