ACDelco PF47E cut open (PICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was on the Uplander for 3000 miles and 3 months. The majority of the trips are less than one mile about 4 times per day. Its your typical grocery getter only worse. Oil was Mobil 1 AFE 0w30 with 1/2 a can of Liqui-Moly MOS2. Im happy with it, but will be using Fram Tough Guards from here on out. All in all I think this is a good filter, not excellent but good, maybe better than good. It did the job and did it well. ADBV was not hard, but more firm than silicon, pleats were even, end caps were on tight (but not as tight as Frams). I did see a couple areas that oil could bypass where the pleats and the endcaps meet, but that was only when I lifted up on the endcap. So it could be a non issue. I see no problem taking this out to 5000 miles. But again, the TG is preferred, and thats what it will be getting from here on out. Hope this is of benefit to someone out there!

CAM000841_zpsd952dc7f.jpg

CAM000861_zps26af4108.jpg

CAM000871_zpse86ee208.jpg

CAM000891_zps06424354.jpg

CAM000901_zps03263e4b.jpg

CAM000921_zps83a6eb3d.jpg

CAM000941_zps928e9e39.jpg

CAM000951_zpsce666ba0.jpg

CAM000961_zpsd98da392.jpg

Im sure it can do 3000 miles with no problem. However there are better filters for about the same $

Looks like you did the paper towel wick trick.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I did see a couple areas that oil could bypass where the pleats and the endcaps meet, but that was only when I lifted up on the endcap.

So the bond between the pleats and end cap gave out in a couple places?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Looks like you did the paper towel wick trick.

I did see a couple areas that oil could bypass where the pleats and the endcaps meet, but that was only when I lifted up on the endcap.

So the bond between the pleats and end cap gave out in a couple places?

I did use a paper towel =). Well I dont know if it did on its own, I lifted up on the endcap and it looked like it was separated, but not sure if it was that way already or not, either way it was very small and Im not that concerned about it.

What I do not understand is why A/C DELCO went to E-CORE... I mean the other ones that are made much better people bought them.. It was not like they didnt sell.

And now it looks like people avoid the E-CORES

so how is A/C DELCO saving $ anymore?

I mean people have to buy it for them to make $

and when i go to Walmart or AAP I always seel the A/C Delco filters filled up....

Somtimes when I buy a oil filter for the Chevy truck I have I look for the PF61 and I can find the NONE E-CORE and I buy it, however I will not buy the A/C Delco E-Core

so they are losing $ right there

Also Does A/C Delco try to prove that the new E-CORE is a better filter anyplace?

The ecore design is just fine for normal OCI's (3-5k miles). And no the media was not flattened out at all, it looked good! I was happy with it, but I have more faith in other filters.

Originally Posted By: David1
What I do not understand is why A/C DELCO went to E-CORE... I mean the other ones that are made much better people bought them.. It was not like they didnt sell.

And now it looks like people avoid the E-CORES

so how is A/C DELCO saving $ anymore?

I mean people have to buy it for them to make $

Of all the people who buy oil filters, probably only 1/1000 of one percent know what's really inside a filter. They could care less how it is constructed ... they might just care about the brand or the looks and that's it. So what I'm saying is that ACDelco probably doesn't even notice a difference in sales. One thing they may notice is more lawsuits due to ecores blowing out media and smokin' an engine.
grin.gif

It's an ecore that held up for 3k miles, not much more to say.

More baffling to me is running a quality synthetic oil, M1 AFE 0w30 for 3k miles. Seems like a waste to me, but it is what it is.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
What's with the big green pig?
grin2.gif

Probably a cookie jar ... where he hides his oil filter cash.
grin.gif

Man, that fiber end cap by the ADBV is wavy-NO WAY that was sealing well! I have an Ecore AZ Valucraft V5 that's on my 6.2 Sierra, going to have to take it off & check it.

You could see if there are any AC Delco PF47 oil filters. The E-core AC Delco filters have the 'E' designation, i.e. PF47E.

The filter more than likely did its job.

As far as making money, AC Delco buys the E-core filters from Champ cheaper than non E-core filters. They sell them for the same price as non E-core filters and make more profit.

Why are you using Mobil 1 and changing it out every 3K miles? You could easily double that interval. If you insist on changing every 3K miles, use conventional and save the $10.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Man, that fiber end cap by the ADBV is wavy-NO WAY that was sealing well!

That's why I like metal end caps ... they don't distort and cause potential sealing issues.

I could see "fiber" end caps working better if they were a lot stiffer "non-metal" material.

As long as the spring holds the center tube (or cage in this case) tightly against the tapping plate, I don't see why there should be any worried about leakage... regardless of how wavy the media gets

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
As long as the spring holds the center tube (or cage in this case) tightly against the tapping plate, I don't see why there should be any worried about leakage... regardless of how wavy the media gets

Exactly...I agree. And for a normal OCI, I actually prefer fiber endcaps. I believe they have a better bond with the media. I can see after 10K miles that it might become an issue, but metal endcaps have also been known to separate.

Exactly...I agree. And for a normal OCI, I actually prefer fiber endcaps. I believe they have a better bond with the media. I can see after 10K miles that it might become an issue, but metal endcaps have also been known to separate.

You can use the same argument about the spring holding everything tight together on a filter where the potting material has de-bonded from the metal end cap. The spring pressure will hold it tight so no leakage should occur.

You can use the same argument about the spring holding everything tight together on a filter where the potting material has de-bonded from the metal end cap. The spring pressure will hold it tight so no leakage should occur.

Exactly. And that's why I chuckle when I read the usual Purolator detractors (easily recognized by their regular postings) that attempt to claim that some kind of bypass 'might' take place with the relatively rare endcap separation from potting material upon dissection. An 'extremely' unlikely supposition as long as the retainer leaf spring is functioning properly to hold the element in place firmly holding the adbv against the tapping/base plate. Combine that with the large area and length that a bypass would have to traverse and again it's an extremely unlikely premise.

Contrast that to the many orange cans viewed here that frequently show an exposed metal end of the center tube on dissection (generally bypass/dome end), yet the bypass presumption is not noted by those same posters. The small crimp area also held only by retainer spring pressure over a much thinner and shorter length of fiber (than the potting material on the Puro) over the center tube is all that keeps bypass from occurring in that area. And I've never seen an exposed center tube end either with endcap off or on a Purolator dissection.

Bottom line, can't have it both ways. If it no bypass occurs on the orange can, logic says it doesn't occur on the Purolator either. And, one could make the case that it's actually less likely on the Purolator for the reasons previously mentioned.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Man, that fiber end cap by the ADBV is wavy-NO WAY that was sealing well!

That's why I like metal end caps ... they don't distort and cause potential sealing issues.

I could see "fiber" end caps working better if they were a lot stiffer "non-metal" material.

yea but they just glue the metal end caps to the steal. The glue can fail also.

I have seen purolator metal endcaps fall right off... So metal end caps are only as good as the adhesive holding it together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back