2011 4Runner 34k 2wd auto "sealed" transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wife's 4runner is just passed 34k on the OD and I was thinking of options for the transmission, but being that is a sealed transmission there is simply a check/fill bolt and drain bolt and even then you will only get a quart I believe out of it. So what are my options and fluid suggests for this application? Or should I even bother this early? Thank you for your time.

I'm in the same boat. 34k is probably too early--Toyota honestly thinks it won't blow until after 150k. OTOH a pan drop would ensure it, and you wouldn't need to do a full fluid exchange.

I'm not familar with your setup. I want to say though on that 5spd it should hold more like a couple of quarts in the pan... On my Tundra I have an external transmission cooler; I'd think you'd have one too. For me, I can drain the pan, then fill it up, there is a large bolt on the transmission side with which you can either use a transfer pump or instead snake tubing up into the engine bay and then use a funnel to refill. Then I can pop a cooler line, and start the engine, so as to do a full exchange (pump out 4qt, stop, fill up with 4qt).

I'm guessing you can do similar. Toyota sealed transmissions need to be at the proper temp, but I think you can short a couple pins on the OBDII connector and it will flash the ATF high temp warning light at the right time.

I'm guessing you can find a writeup on one of the 4Runner sites. I'm guessing it's very similar to the Tacoma writeup.

Last edited:
I've gone to this site mostly for info: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/.

I don't know if your specs are the same as mine, but I've read that 7yr/100k is typically the change-out time. Toyota called it a "lifetime" fluid, but it really isn't...sort of misleading.

For mine, it seems like its a fairly easy procedure and should cost $200-300 at the dealership.

Originally Posted By: zeuloa
Unless she tows, I wouldn't bother.

Terrible advice. "Lifetime" tranny fills are supposed to last for the lifetime of the tranny and not the car. If you keep fresh fluid in the tranny it will last as long as the car in most cases. Here is fluid from a tranny that is never supposed to be serviced. It has 70,XXX miles on it and the tranny was done. If the owner serviced this "non serviceable" tranny it would still be going strong. This fluid was like mud and just nasty.

I plan to have the dealer flush at 30k, and then again every 50k after that. Same with my Tundra. I'm a fresh fluid fan.

I don't believe the lifetime fill at all, and I hear that most auto trans wear is in the first 30k so if that's the case it would make sense to do the flush now.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Originally Posted By: zeuloa
Unless she tows, I wouldn't bother.

Terrible advice. "Lifetime" tranny fills are supposed to last for the lifetime of the tranny and not the car. If you keep fresh fluid in the tranny it will last as long as the car in most cases. Here is fluid from a tranny that is never supposed to be serviced. It has 70,XXX miles on it and the tranny was done. If the owner serviced this "non serviceable" tranny it would still be going strong. This fluid was like mud and just nasty.

What car was this? How was it driven? Was the fluid never to be changed even under severe duty? Are we certain that the fluid caused the transmission to go out? Is this transmission known to be a dependable transmission and this is the exemption?

Is this the only car you base your theory on?

Sorry but until you provide some supporting facts based on studies done on many vehicles with similar operation I'll stick to what the Toyota engineers say. A picture with 2 wet paper towels in a bucket of fluid just doesn't do it for me.

Originally Posted By: USAFACE
The wife's 4runner is just passed 34k on the OD and I was thinking of options for the transmission, but being that is a sealed transmission there is simply a check/fill bolt and drain bolt and even then you will only get a quart I believe out of it. So what are my options and fluid suggests for this application? Or should I even bother this early? Thank you for your time.

Just looked at the maintenance guide on Toyota.com for your vehicle. Toyota recommends you change at 60k if you drive while towing, using a car-top carrier, or heavy vehicle loading, and perform these service items only if you drive primarily under these conditions.

In your shoes as I said before I would not bother, and if it bugged me I would follow the 60k schedule advised above. Toyotas are used by organizations such as UNICEF and UN in some of the most extreme, harsh, and isolated parts of the world. They are built with this in mind and therefore the maintenance is minimal and easy to do. Outside of the US you can use justa about any motor oil per their manuals.

These are tough trucks, and the toughest roads yours will probably see are the root-invaded streets inside the loop while your wife goes shopping at Central Market!

Best of luck whichever way you decide!

My girlfriend's old Cobalt had a non user serviceable automatic transmission.

SHe just went and got the fluid changed at 50K like the owners manual stated to.

Originally Posted By: stchman
My girlfriend's old Cobalt had a non user serviceable automatic transmission.

SHe just went and got the fluid changed at 50K like the owners manual stated to.

Sounds like a keeper.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back