Oil for Honda GCV160 Engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a Honda lawn mower. The users manual recommends:

SAE 10W-30, API SJ or later

That sounds pretty much like the same 10W-30 that automobiles use.

Would Supertech 10W-30 full synthetic be OK or should I go with 4 stroke small engine oil?

Thanks.

Supertech 10w-30 syn would be fine. I have used 30w in all of my OPE's for years and after a lot of reading about oils and OPE's, I have recently switched to T6 for all of my OPE's/ATV's.

Any 10W30 would be OK, although most people here would recommend an oil with a higher ZDDP level such as Quaker State Defy or Rotella.

I have several GC160's and GCV160's, I run SAE 30W or Defy 10W30 in all of them.

I am using anything 5&10w30 in my TroyBuilt w/Honda motor. I believe its a GCsomething160. I'd have to look! It may even require...SL/GF-3 even though I bought it new(3 summers ago) druing the SN/GF-5 days...I'll have to read the OM
smile.gif

I use whatever oil I have hanging around the garage in my GCV160. It's usually some 5w30 synthetic or 5w40 synthetic. I've used 10w30 conventional, 10w30 synthetic, and straight 30. It runs the same on all of them and doesn't consume a single drop of oil. These engines really are not picky about oil.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I use whatever oil I have hanging around the garage in my GCV160. It's usually some 5w30 synthetic or 5w40 synthetic. I've used 10w30 conventional, 10w30 synthetic, and straight 30. It runs the same on all of them and doesn't consume a single drop of oil. These engines really are not picky about oil.

A Honda built engine not picky on fluids, I'm actually surprised.

I don't know why Honda insists on 10W-30. Since I never run the mower is really cold weather, 5W-30 and 10W-30 are essentially the same weight on a summer day.

I have some Supertech 10W-30 and I have 1/2 quart of Mobil 1 5W-30 in the garage. I should be good on oil for the mower for some time.

I've run a couple different kinds of synthetic 5w-30 oils in my Honda mower. I've had it for eight years now and it still runs great. I had to replace the transmission this year for ~$125, but I couldn't justify throwing away a mower that was otherwise perfectly fine and reliable.

I change the oil once a year at the beginning of mowing season. It doesn't take a full quart. I go with synthetic as I trust it more to protect an air-cooled engine in the summer heat compared to dino sauce. Since it uses so little, and it's changed so infrequently, splurging on good oil isn't so bad. I've used NAPA Synthetic, Royal Purple, Valvoline, and Mobil 1 synthetics. None seem to run better or worse than anything else.

I run the same stuff in my snow blower with a Tecumseh Snow King. My generator with a Briggs engine has only seen one oil change so far, with M1 TDT 5w-40.

Be sure to change your plugs and air filters regularly too.

I've run Rotella 10w-30 in mine the last 2 seasons, seems to like it just fine!

Buy a gallon at Menards or whatever and you are good for 3-4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back