2014 diesel chevy cruze - what oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMB

Hello guys, any suggestions on what to run in this motor? The engine is a 2.0 VM turbo diesel

I have a real hard time believing GM when they say to run standard dexos 2 5w-30 and not a diesel spec'd oil.

DEXOS 2 is a diesel engine spec. However, good luck finding a 5w30 DEXOS 2 oil in the US besides the dealer AC Delco.

GM does allow you to use a engine oil meeting ACEA C3 if you cant find a DEXOS 2 in 5w-30. Not sure how much that will help the search.

"Use of Substitute Engine Oils if
dexos2 is unavailable: In the event
that dexos2-approved engine oil is
not available at an oil change or for
maintaining proper oil level, you
may use substitute engine oil that
meets ACEA C3 of the appropriate
viscosity grade."

Believe it. dexos2 is GM's spec for passenger car diesel oils in Europe. When we were planning some tests on their passenger car diesel, GM sent us Mobil Super 3000 Formula G in 5-gallon cans. It's low ash to protect the DPF, and is dexos2 licensed. I don't know how available it is in the US. I had to download the spec sheet from Mobil's UK site.

Last edited:
Castrol Edge Professional OE 5W-30 is on that list. You can get it at VW and BMW dealers. It's $6.50-8 / qt. How much is the AC Delco oil?

So people will:

1.) Pay a premium for a diesel engine in the Cruze

2.) Pay anywhere from $.25-$.60 MORE per gallon for diesel over gasoline here in Michigan

3.) Have to buy Dexos2 oil at the dealer for $6-$8+ per QUART

What are the economic advantages of opting for a diesel engine over the gasoline engine they put in the Cruze Eco again?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CMB
Hello guys, any suggestions on what to run in this motor? The engine is a 2.0 VM turbo diesel

I have a real hard time believing GM when they say to run standard dexos 2 5w-30 and not a diesel spec'd oil.

Calling a diesel ENGINE a motor. LMAO.

I am fairly certain that many European brands carry Dexos 2, because GM has sold so many diesels in Europe over so many years.

2014 Cruze doesn't have the VM Diesel engine it has the GM VCDi "Z" family engine.

However still require the same oil cert, DEXOS 2.

Originally Posted By: [email protected]
So people will:

2.) Pay anywhere from $.25-$.60 MORE per gallon for diesel over gasoline here in Michigan

What are the economic advantages of opting for a diesel engine over the gasoline engine they put in the Cruze Eco again?

Where I live diesel is a few cents more than mid octane gasoline and cheaper than the highest octane gasoline.

Charlie

So people will:

For me with my Jetta TDi, the fuel economy gains only slightly justify the gasoline-diesel cost per gallon (diesel is often the most expensive fuel here in south Florida). However, the 10K OCIs even out the oil cost and my labor. The biggest selling point with a diesel is what it always has been . . . TORQUE. I'll take my torquey TDi any day over a limp gas car claiming similar economy (45 mpg highway).

Looks like Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 is on the dexos2 list. I believe this is available at many Walmarts IIRC. Check it out. FWIW

Oldtommy

Originally Posted By: pavelow
Originally Posted By: CMB

Calling a diesel ENGINE a motor. LMAO.

I know, I wish people would call the engine and engine.

In the automotive world, motors are electric and engines are internal combustion. I will get people that will spit out the Webster's Dictionary definition for motor, this is why I preface "automotive world".

When you say "motor" and you refer to a Prius, which motor are they talking about?

So people will:

The Cruze diesel gets better fuel economy than a Cruze Eco, and most people report that they are getting ~50MPG on the highway with a Cruze diesel and some are lucky to get the 42MPG that the Cruze Eco gets.

Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
Looks like Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40 is on the dexos2 list. I believe this is available at many Walmarts IIRC. Check it out. FWIW

Oldtommy

And that's the WRONG viscosity for the Cruze diesel. The Cruze diesel calls for dexos2 5W-30.

Long time listener first time caller

I took delivery of a 2014 diesel Cruze TD four weeks ago. It is powered by a GM Family B 2.0 diesel. This engine is designed by Fiat and is manufactured in Germany. This is mated to an Aisin AF40-6 automatic transmission.

The car currently just turned over 2000 miles and achieved 52 MPG on the last tank of fuel (hand calculated). This was purchased for my wife’s commute of about 100 miles per day round trip 90% highway. The car came with 24,000 miles of free maintenance which includes oil changes. I inquired with the dealer and they will indeed be using Mobil Super 3000 Formula G 5W30 for the free oil changes. They were also aware of the fact that the Dexos 2 oil is not readily available in the US. I was told that as long as the oil is ACEA C3 and also 5W30 there would be no warranty issues (Powertrain is 5Year/100,000 miles). There is a group of us waiting for a response from GM on this in writing.

I am still trying to determine which oil to run in this once the free changes are done, and it looks like the only restrictions are ACEA C3 and 5W30. I plan on doing UOAs once I figure out when I am going to run. In the meantime I will enjoy driving the little torque monster.

Originally Posted By: stchman
The Cruze diesel gets better fuel economy than a Cruze Eco, and most people report that they are getting ~50MPG on the highway with a Cruze diesel and some are lucky to get the 42MPG that the Cruze Eco gets.

Interesting... the vast majority of what I have heard regarding the ECO is preforming at or above the estimates, often well over 42 mpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back