Changing ATF in my Chevy Cruze

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

My 2011 Cruze has 22K and I'm preparing to D&R the ATF at 25K.
There is a drain plug which will let me drain approximately half of the 9 quart total. I feel that getting 50% new fluid into the A/T has to be a good thing.
On the Cruze forum that I visit a GM tech claims that draining and replacing the fluid with the same amount that comes out will not give an accurate measurement and that a scanguage and level check while running is necessary. This would overly complicate things and make a dealer service call necessary. He claims that A/T is very sensitive to the correct level.
(The only way to check the level is underneath the car while running).

Does anyone have experience with this tranny (6T40E, I think)

I would think a couple of ounces either way wouldn't be a problem....what do you guys think?

PS: I plan on using Castrol DexVI which claims to be a semi-synthetic.

I'm flabbergasted as to why amount out -> amount in should result in an inaccurate measurement. Where else would it go?

Originally Posted By: cchase
I'm flabbergasted as to why amount out -> amount in should result in an inaccurate measurement. Where else would it go?

I feel the same way.

I changed the fluid in my Ion's 4T45E by measuring what came out and I haven't had a single problem....why would the 6T40E be any different?

Not sure about this particular situation, but CVT fluid has to be measured by temperature due to fluid chemistry (expansion). Maybe the same thing here (though unlikely)? Or maybe that tranny is super sensitive?

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose if you drained it cold and filled it cold, it should be pretty accurate. Certainly the best method is to check the actual fluid level while warm (at the correct temperature). If you drain out warm fluid and replace with equal volume of cold fluid, it won't be the same. Plus, what if it was over filled or under filled already, you are then adding error to previous error. I'd do it correctly if you can, that doesn't mean going to the dealer. I do not know the specifics of this trans. however but perhaps it has an overflow plug which will relieve extra fluid when at the correct temperature. I'm sure somebody on some forum somewhere has documented a good way to do this at home. Good luck.

It sounds like the 6T70 i did last week. Just put back in what you took out and be precise.
Drive it 15-20 miles and check the fluid on a flat surface, it should be in the middle of the 2 marks.
This one needed an additional 1/2 quart, i have no idea why but it did and i was very careful measuring.

It's just not that tough to remove the level plug while you are under there draining the oil pan. Finger tite the plug, fill the trans with the amount you took out. Start the car, run it through the gears, crawl back under while it idles and pull the level plug. If the fluid flows or splashes out let it finish or add enough fluid to reach the hole , replace the plugs and you are done.

Originally Posted By: cchase

Maybe it goes the same place socks go in the dryer?

Originally Posted By: WishIhadatruck
I suppose if you drained it cold and filled it cold, it should be pretty accurate. Certainly the best method is to check the actual fluid level while warm (at the correct temperature). If you drain out warm fluid and replace with equal volume of cold fluid, it won't be the same. Plus, what if it was over filled or under filled already, you are then adding error to previous error. I'd do it correctly if you can, that doesn't mean going to the dealer. I do not know the specifics of this trans. however but perhaps it has an overflow plug which will relieve extra fluid when at the correct temperature. I'm sure somebody on some forum somewhere has documented a good way to do this at home. Good luck.

I think your suggestion about D&Ring it 'cold' is a good one and that's what I think I'll do.

Changing Automatic Transmission Fluid (semi How-To)

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/57-how-li...d-semi-how.html

That's the forum I spoke of (where the GM tech mentions how precise one needs to be).
See 1st post on pg. 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back