Super Tech vs Mobil 1 synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: jcwit
One of many lab reports stating the value of WalMarts Super Tech oil.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...;gonew=1#UNREAD

Great, but the difference is Walmart can change the price point and supplier this afternoon.

So could M1 but they dont. Branding is an important consideration in sales. You think for a second ST didn't have huge hurdles to overcome to get people like us to say "I's a quality oil"????

Any manufacturer, and especially those looking at bankruptcy or phasing out a product line are prone to lowering the quality of the end product...ST sure may happen some day but it sure ain't now.

I should clarify....I use ST synt in my 95 Camry with a smile...BUT no way I'm a defender of the oil or any other nonsense. I use it because it's a [censored] good oil for my application and 7k OCI. No other reason.

My other vehicles are M1 5-30 and M1 0-40 and MC 5-20 for my F150.

If you were hosting a party, would would look for the cheapest beer at the store or buy a name brand that everyone knows. Beer is beer, right?
You chose a Cadillac when a Chevy would have served the same purpose. My decision with the oil would be the same.

I have the same opinion for a Cadillac as a European car..

I ya don't wanna put the full synthetic that's top tier, ya don't deserve the car..

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
For a 5k OCI- Go with Supertech.

More than that- M1.

You're welcome.
smile.gif

+1 for 5K
SuperTech synth around here is Petro-Canada Supreme Synthetic, and it was very well priced (until about 2yrs ago). Warren is a popular blender with certifications and products that meet current API and ILSAC standards.

Unfortunately your engine will be no better or worse protected based on people's opinions or running commercial ads- your engine doesn't watch TV or chat around the water cooler (or audit company revenues or review company budgets).
48.gif

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: jcwit
One of many lab reports stating the value of WalMarts Super Tech oil.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...;gonew=1#UNREAD

Great, but the difference is Walmart can change the price point and supplier this afternoon.

So could M1 but they dont. Branding is an important consideration in sales. You think for a second ST didn't have huge hurdles to overcome to get people like us to say "I's a quality oil"????

Any manufacturer, and especially those looking at bankruptcy or phasing out a product line are prone to lowering the quality of the end product...ST sure may happen some day but it sure ain't now.

Super Tech is a no name not a brand and Walmart could care less IMO.

As much as I like and trust ST oils, as of right now, ST oils are priced too close to other Name Brand oil on their own shelves. Such as:

ST Dino...$12.27...Mobil 5000...$12.67-.97

ST Syn....$20.27...QSUD...$20.97

ST HM is also close(or more $) to DEFY though I can't quote a price but, less than ML

Last edited:
I haven't used their oil, nor would I considering all the great oil change specials out there and the frequency of them. With Black Friday just around the corner and a 2 year current stash I can stock pile more oil when another great deal comes along. Nothing against Super Tech oil. I have their type F ATF on hand for my upcoming power steering fluid swap, and have zero issues using it.

I've never had any issues in 15 years or more by using ST Fluids.

I have used their Oils, ATF-DexIII/Mercon & ATF-4, Coolant, Brake Fluid, P/S Fluid, Tubes of Grease and Brake Cleaner/Carb Cleaner...all with good success!

Though I DO try to buy the name brand fluids, lubes & cleaners on sale which beats W*M prices and I feel better when I do but, I don't loose sleep when I've used ST Products.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lex94
Mobil 1 5w30 is Dexos approved so you are assured of getting much better wear performance than GF-5/SN garbage.
I would go with Pennzoil Synthetic Blend Dexos 5w30 at the same price.

+1
For that matter, any Dexos approved 5W-30 will be fine for 5k OCIs. So, use what you like and spend what you want, as long as it is Dexos approved you are good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back