Nowadays, you might WANT steel wheels with covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're not just settling for steel wheels with wheel covers, you might go out of your way to configure your car to avoid the alloy wheels.

What do you think?

Some cars take a small MPG penalty when configured with alloy wheels over the steelies that are standard on lower trims.

Two examples:

The Toyota Camry hybrid LE trim comes with steelies, rated at 43 city, 40 highway, but the more polished XLE trim with nicer alloys takes a 2mpg hit.

Also, the 2014 Corolla ECO model is rated 30 city, 42 highway when configured with the standard steel wheels with cover, the ECO Plus trim comes standard with alloy wheels and takes a 2mpg hit as well.

--------------------------
The only thing we can conclude is that steel wheels with the wheel covers are very practical. It's simply a more aerodynamic wheel. The alloy wheels offered with the many visible spokes means air crosses the wheels and pushes the car back. They *DO* look good though.

Also, alloy wheels no longer really enjoy a weight advantage, most alloy wheels (except for very expensive forged wheels) weigh the same (or more) than steelies.

---------------------------
Buyers don't care though, because if they did, manufacturers would solve the problem by coming up with more aerodynamic alloy wheels (like the ones on the Honda Civic Hybrid)

honda-civic-hybrid-10.jpg

Last edited:
You sure it's not from wider/stickier rubber causing more friction?

I like the looks of alloys, but they don't last forever, and heaven forbid you scratch one. Light is nice, but light only matters if you have to use your brakes a lot, IMO.

I just wish steel rims and takeoffs were cheaper. Seems like they are $50/rim on CL right now. But that's a different complaint.

I really like the steel wheel for winter. Also, I agree with what jrustles said with a higher aspec ratio.

You're assuming that the upper trim package is exclusively a wheel/tire thing and not other gear.

Also, adding 50 pounds of options sometimes puts one in a heavier EPA category, which mathematically-- more than realistically-- hinders MPG on paper.

I mount and balance my own tires and like steel slightly better. Alloy rims take one of eight different flange weight shape/styles. Alloy rims need more grinding/ polishing at the bead lip to get rid of corrosion and ensure a good seal. I'm also, anecdotally, watching to see which remains straighter, longer, and am so far giving a slight edge to steel.

Perhaps one does get better mpg's with steelies but I prefer alloy. The steelies under wheel covers I've owned rusted(even in the south) over time and look ugly.

Might sacrifice some mpg, but the better looks would make up for it for me.

I don't think so. The Cruze Eco and most hybrids come with alloys. If it affected mileage in any significant way no Eco trim or hybrid would be caught dead with alloys.

I'd be willing the bet that the higher trim car gains weight from the added options. that stuff adds up. The alloy wheels *usually* weigh less than steel wheels which means less rotational weight and better fuel economy. Ever seen how much a sunroof weighs? Or power seats? A lot!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
You're assuming that the upper trim package is exclusively a wheel/tire thing and not other gear.

Also, adding 50 pounds of options sometimes puts one in a heavier EPA category, which mathematically-- more than realistically-- hinders MPG on paper.

This.

More stuff = more weight = MPG hit.

My mom has a Prius, she lost a wheel cover. It actually has alloy wheels with wheel covers. They are decent looking wheels, I figured they went with the alloys for weight savings and the covers for aerodynamics for max fuel economy.

Alloy rims are just another thing for a tire place to mess up.

Also, numerous road hazards I've encountered over the years convinced me to avoid them; like a snow plow leaving a 5' piece of curbing 4' out in the road.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kam327
I don't think so. The Cruze Eco and most hybrids come with alloys. If it affected mileage in any significant way no Eco trim or hybrid would be caught dead with alloys.

Forged 17" alloys that weigh 17 lbs. apiece for the Cruze Eco. The OEM wheel/tire combination weighs 35 lbs. per corner. Makes swapping them for snow tires/wheels a piece of cake.

Not sure how much Id attribute to wheels versus other added weight, electronic loads, etc.

That said, on my 240D, MB equipped it with aluminum alloy "steel" wheels with hubcaps. Why? Low power, less unsprung weight and overall mass was a good thing.

I dont know why the silver painted steel wheels hae gone the way of the dodo. They can be made to look half decent, strong, cheap, etc. Still can get them on some models of trucks, why not cars?

Aerodynamics on the wheels is an important thing, I know the Prius takes it into consideration.

Perhaps there is a point of no return where steel wheels just get too heavy at the larger wheel sizes that we have on modern cars? Tractor trailers seem to often have alloy wheels, so Id imagine that there is less of a strength issue and more of a weight element to it.

Good discussion!

After spending Saturday looking at used cars, I'd have to say most people don't deserve alloy wheels anyway.

How hard is it to miss a curb, anyway?

I would suggest most of the reason steelies "could" return better economy would be aerodynamic, which could be incorporated into an alloy wheel as well.

Since alloy wheels are typically lighter than a steel wheel, I would suspect that all else being equal, the alloy would be a better efficiency choice.

With the Camry example the LE hybrid comes with 16 inch wheels while the XLE comes with 17 alloys.

Originally Posted By: cchase
After spending Saturday looking at used cars, I'd have to say most people don't deserve alloy wheels anyway.

No, the problem is that theyre convinced that they do deserve everything...

16 or 17 inches seems to be the sweet spot where one can find a lightweight, durable, and affordable alloy rim. Much past that starts to weigh as much as a boat anchor, and cost a fortune to put tires onto.

My Pontiac has 16" styled steelies: the 5-spoke hubcaps completely cover the steel, making it look like alloys from 10 feet away...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back