First Time Liqui Moly MoS2 Use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: vintageant
How would comments differ if the MoS2 was being run in an engine without a filter, as in my three oldies?

Irrelevant. The mos2 particle size is smaller than what a full flow filter can catch. A bypass system might be able to catch the mos2 particles however I cannot say for sure

How would comments differ if the MoS2 was being run in an engine without a filter, as in my three oldies?

Most oil filters are about 98% efficient for particles in the 20 micron range, but the efficiency drops off quickly for smaller particles. The MoS2 used in oil suspensions (e.g. Liqui-Moly) is in the .2-.3 micron range. I doubt that even a by-pass filter would catch that much.

Your 1970 VW Beetle (2013 Peking to Paris Rally finisher) should say 'welcome, old friend'. VW of America used to prescribe MoS2 for their engines/transmissions - a prescription that was mostly honored in the breach. Does your vehicle have a common engine-transmission oil supply?

Dave5358 - I've seen you mention before that VWs had a common engine-transmission oil supply.

That must have been in very early days (pre-war?)

No Beetle I've ever seen has had this.

Dave5358 - I've seen you mention before that VWs had a common engine-transmission oil supply. That must have been in very early days (pre-war?) No Beetle I've ever seen has had this.

I've seen them and worked on them as late as the mid-70's. I am pretty sure it was the Type 1 engine which was discontinued in 1953. But, VWs last a long time and can be rebuilt just about forever. VW wasn't the only company that used a shared oil supply - it had some popularity among Japanese motorcycle makers.

You're correct - it was used on early models and this 'feature' was not one of VW's better ideas. The overheating problems mostly occurred in the US - not Europe - and particularly in the south-western US - perhaps due to climate and greater driving distances. The 'fix' was MoS2 and oil coolers. But, in fact that was no real fix and later engine models were redesigned.

Even VWs with separate oil supplies suffered from overheating in the US - and overheating or not, air-cooled VW engines were very hard on their oil. As appealing as a air-cooled engine might seem - VW, Renault and several other companies once made them - look around at how many air-cooled automobile engines are in use today.

I have just read through this whole thread. It is a strong parallel to another thread here about IF WS2 (Inorganic Fullerene like Tungsten Disulphide). Same non-believer types insisting it can't be true. Almost no user experience for the WS2 unfortunately since it has only recently become available to consumers. Discrediting all testing, knowing it can't work, etc.

It is the next step up from Moly. Similar functional process but the base material is more slippery, harder, smaller particles (better leveling of mating/interfering surfaces), and works at higher and lower temperatures. And when I rubbed some on my game leg I could dance again :). Just look in the additives section. At the moment it is near the top.

Originally Posted By: alternety
I have just read through this whole thread. It is a strong parallel to another thread here about IF WS2 (Inorganic Fullerene like Tungsten Disulphide). Same non-believer types insisting it can't be true. Almost no user experience for the WS2 unfortunately since it has only recently become available to consumers. Discrediting all testing, knowing it can't work, etc.

It is the next step up from Moly. Similar functional process but the base material is more slippery, harder, smaller particles (better leveling of mating/interfering surfaces), and works at higher and lower temperatures. And when I rubbed some on my game leg I could dance again :). Just look in the additives section. At the moment it is near the top.

I'm not questioning anything you suggest regarding Tungsten Disulphide. Surely there must be some large, commercial user of this product, whose experience can testify to its utility. And, if not, then the maker(s) should be looking for fleets in which to test their product. Failing this, the product is doomed to obscurity (and frankly, MoS2 is rather obscure despite a century of use).

The ability to make the material in large volume is fairly new. So far I have found only two sources I can specifically identify as the IF form being imported.

You might want to read through the other thread.

Originally Posted By: alternety
The ability to make the material in large volume is fairly new. So far I have found only two sources I can specifically identify as the IF form being imported.

The maker/importer needs to get on the stick - not for my benefit, mind you, but to make or keep their product viable. A relatively new application such as this faces a double whammy: it's relatively unknown and most of the hype comes from ad-men, who may lack credibility.

Perhaps most important, it may only be incrementally better than existing products, such as MoS2. MoS2 is more well known, relatively inexpensive to produce and has a substantial literature regarding it's use. And even for MoS2, this forum notwithstanding, I have never seen evidence to support claims of fuel savings, and use in automotive engine oil is mostly supported by extrapolating other studies.

Originally Posted By: dave5358
Dave5358 - I've seen you mention before that VWs had a common engine-transmission oil supply. That must have been in very early days (pre-war?) No Beetle I've ever seen has had this.

I've seen them and worked on them as late as the mid-70's. I am pretty sure it was the Type 1 engine which was discontinued in 1953. But, VWs last a long time and can be rebuilt just about forever. VW wasn't the only company that used a shared oil supply - it had some popularity among Japanese motorcycle makers.

You're correct - it was used on early models and this 'feature' was not one of VW's better ideas. The overheating problems mostly occurred in the US - not Europe - and particularly in the south-western US - perhaps due to climate and greater driving distances. The 'fix' was MoS2 and oil coolers. But, in fact that was no real fix and later engine models were redesigned.

Even VWs with separate oil supplies suffered from overheating in the US - and overheating or not, air-cooled VW engines were very hard on their oil. As appealing as a air-cooled engine might seem - VW, Renault and several other companies once made them - look around at how many air-cooled automobile engines are in use today.

I think you may be thinking of the the original Austin Mini (BMC). I worked on an old type 82 VW (early 1940's) many years ago and IIRC it had a separate transmission fluid.
You may be right but i cant ever remember seeing it even on the old split and oval rear window bugs, the split was around a 1950 before the ovals.

If a topic interests you start a new one. Dragging up ancient topics with outdated information and members who may not be around anymore helps no one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back