you guys might wanna read this

Status
Not open for further replies.
any truth to that article? I figure I'd summon the experts here. I use fram ultras on my buddies 1500 chevy and he puts it though everything imaginable with no harm.

Last edited:
fram ultra's arent a problem they are well constructed with premium features.

only the lowest level orange box are arguably overpriced junk.

Last edited:
"My personal preference is to have the (silicone) ADBV at the base rather than the dome"

Mine too.
lol.gif
Not sure how one in the dome would work.
wink.gif

No time to read all right now but if the rest of his thoughts are as on point as that one, might want to take this one with huge grain of salt.

Synthetic oil filters like synthetic oil are designed and best used and utilized for extended oci's, not 3-5k miles. So if doing the latter, both would be overkill and a waste. Nothing stunning there.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/oil-filtration-232181.html

so im guessing people who use fram ultras, napa platinums etc cant drive their vehicles offroad or chance a damaged engine. haha

I wheel my junk VERY hard. I average about a dozen rolls a year and have never had a problem with ANY oil filter. Even the OCOD's are OK. Overpriced, yes, but having picked up 3 for a buck each, I'm not worried one bit.

BTW, my favorite Jeep filter is a Motorcraft FL300. It was a tank of a filter.

Read the guy's arguments, really made no sense at all-a synthetic filter is going to do a FAR better job of removing dirt (Si) from oil, which is the main result of going offroad (more dirt, dust, etc.). The AIR filter would be a much better place to concentrate, IMHO.

BTW, my favorite Jeep filter is a Motorcraft FL300. It was a tank of a filter. [/quote]

If you want to talk overpriced filters, the FL300 is one of them. It is a shortened FL1A, but it sell for $6 while every other Motorcraft sells for $4.

I don't know what it is with the OEM branded filters that fit the old 4.0's, but they are always pricier. The Mopar MO-090 at $7, the AC Delco PF13 $6.50.

"Premium oil filters (i.e. NAPA Platinum) with synthetic media do not do as good a job at removing DIRT as the NAPA Gold series! They do excel at removing products associated with synthetic oil degradation as long as they are operated in a clean (pavement driven only) environment!"

First time I have heard that synthetic oil degradation produces products that conventional does not. Pray tell what those products are? Sounds pretty hokey.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/oil-filtration-232181.html

From the link above:
"Here's where it gets interesting.
Premium oil filters (i.e. NAPA Platinum) with synthetic media do not do as good a job at removing DIRT as the NAPA Gold series! They do excel at removing products associated with synthetic oil degradation as long as they are operated in a clean (pavement driven only) environment!"

lol.gif
... say what? Guess he doesn't realize that the full synthetic filters are rated around 99% @ 25 microns (@ 20 microns for the Ultra), and the WIX/NAPA Golds are rated at around 95% @ 20 microns. So the NAPA Gold is actually a little LESS efficient at removing DIRT.
smile.gif

Guess this guy never heard of a Bet Ratio or an efficiency spec per IOS test.
whistle.gif

And as someone else commented ... I didn't know that full synthetic filters were specially designed to remove "products associated with synthetic oil degradation as long as they are operated in a clean (pavement driven only) environment!""

"Synthetic oil degradation ... ??"
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: salv
BTW, my favorite Jeep filter is a Motorcraft FL300. It was a tank of a filter.

If you want to talk overpriced filters, the FL300 is one of them. It is a shortened FL1A, but it sell for $6 while every other Motorcraft sells for $4.
[/quote]

I was lucky and bought my FL300's for $3.67, just like every other MC on the shelf at my WM. If I could fit a 1A, I would. The Fram's I picked up are the discontinued PH43's. It's too bad that size is going away (except for Puro 14670's, but they're a bit shorter).

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Sounds like that guy has been "bench racing" far too much.

The off road world would call him a "mall crawler".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back