Kendall 5w20 Syn Blend. 3177 mi sample

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my UOA on my 2012 Accent. Thoughts?

BlackStone Comments:
This first sample from your Hyundai Accent looks great. We compared it to universal averages,
which show typical wear for this type of Hyundai engine after about 4,200 miles on the oil.
You didn't run quite that long, which accounts for some of the lower readings.
Still, everything was in good proportion, so we doubt any mechanical issues are at work.
The TBN was good at 3.5 since 1.0 or less is low.
The viscosity was on target for a 5W/20 and no contamination was found.
Try running about 5,000 miles on the next oil and check back.

PS- I am using a drop in K&N air filter.

Code:

MI/HR on Oil 3,177

MI/HR on Unit 35,813

Make Up Oil Added 0 qts

ELEMENTS IN PARTS PER MILLION

ALUMINUM 2

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 7

COPPER 1

LEAD 0

TIN 3

MOLYBDENUM 19

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 93

POTASSIUM 0

BORON 82

SILICON 11

SODIUM 4

CALCIUM 2604

MAGNESIUM 12

PHOSPHORUS 861

ZINC 920

BARIUM 0

PROPERTIES Values Averages

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 49.8 46-57

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 7.22 6.0-9.7

Flashpoint in °F 385 >355

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0

Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.3
TBN 3.5 >1.0

TAN

ISO Code

Last edited:
What is your driving style and what kind of miles, highway/city?

What are the oci intervals as stated in the owner's manual?

Thanks for posting.

Mostly city driving 60city/40hw. The severe schedule dictates 3750. This was right after a 1200 mile road trip to colorado and back. My driving style is pretty calm but with a healthily wot pull every now and again.

Yeah I'm going to do one more uoa using the k&n to see if its an anomaly. But after that ill definitely try the oem filter to see what happens

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
Mostly city driving 60city/40hw. The severe schedule dictates 3750. This was right after a 1200 mile road trip to colorado and back. My driving style is pretty calm but with a healthily wot pull every now and again.

I think Blackstone is pretty spot on with their recommendation, which may not always be the case. 5k oci seems reasonable given the TBN and your driving style. It is only 1250mi over the severe service interval, and a nice round number to remember.

I went 3177 on the oil. They compared it to oils run to 4200
smile.gif

smile.gif

All that means is that the universal averages for the car are set at 4200.

Originally Posted By: volk06
smile.gif

All that means is that the universal averages for the car are set at 4200.

Ah ok!

I've been reading on the KN filter thread over in the air filter section. How much silicone is actually considered abrasive to the point of being worried? Like i mentioned, I will continue to run the KN for the remainder of this OCI and then after I get the oil changed, ill go to an OEM filter to see if the KN is really that bad...

Also, what uses Boron and Calcium?? those were a little higher than the averages, but not bad enough to the point that Blackstone had to comment on it...

Last edited:
Calcium and Boron are additives in the motor oil. They only represent what the makeup of the oil is, they are not relevant to wear. Read the sticky at the topof the UOA section called what's normal.

Looks great. Just surprised these new cars go this thin (5w20 in the summer I mean). I like the Ti and Boron count; and there's even a trace of Mo.

Haven't done a UOA but have used this oil for 5200 mile run. Under warranty so that's the consideration but upon changing the oil, in noticing the color of the oil, was impressed. Now running the full synthetic and feel comfortable to 7500 miles. Will get an UOA prior to warranty expiration for extending OCI's.

This last oil change, the mechanic pulled me in to show me the color of the oil. Sure, it was dark, but when he put some on his finger, it was still very transparent and clean. I am absolutely thrilled to have this oil in the car
smile.gif

Is this the only oil you've used in this car ? Your wear looks very good. I chose Kendall b/c of it's additive package and the fact that it is still under warranty, which means < 7500 mile intervals. I've run the syn blend once and on the second full second oil interval.
I also think this oil can be run longer. Keep us posted.

Originally Posted By: walk23
Is this the only oil you've used in this car ? Your wear looks very good. I chose Kendall b/c of it's additive package and the fact that it is still under warranty, which means < 7500 mile intervals. I've run the syn blend once and on the second full second oil interval.
I also think this oil can be run longer. Keep us posted.

I was on dealer oil changes until about 15,000 miles. They told me they used Shell synthetic blend?? 5w30.....I never visually confirmed it though. Since then I started taking the car to Firestone after researching oils and finding out about Kendall. It's been on Kendall semi syn 5w20 since then. Doing another UOA after this change to check to see if my K&N air filter is letting too much dirt in. I haven't had any issues with this oil, so I don't see any reason to change just yet...although I am curious about many other oils....

Great report! Another win for Kendall. I run this same oil (5W30 in the Subaru). One of the best additive pkgs out there, and it may be as much as half and half Grp II to Grp III in the blend ratio. Bonus side effect is the engine runs very quiet on it, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back