What tire should I get for 96 ES300? 205/65-15 V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now, I have the Continental ContiExtremeContact (predecessor to the DWS, but the DWS isn't available in this size), and after about 15k, a couple of them have punctures in them, sidewall cracking, etc. Tire date codes are 0408, 0209, and (2) 0709. I have just under 20k on them.

Help me pick a V-rated tire in the size 205/65-15. Here are my choices so far:
Falken Ziex ZE-912
Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum
Dunlop SP Sport Signature

(I'd also have Goodyear Eagle GT on this list, but they're discontinuing it in favor of the Eagle Sport All-season, which isn't available in this size, and anyway they supposedly wear very quickly)

Cooper CS4. All the ones you listed are pretty good. It would come down to price for me, along with mileage rating, tread depth, reviews, rebates etc...

Why do you want a V rated tire. Your car from a legal perspective is Fine on an H.

But, If a V is a must, Either:

[*]Michelin Primacy MXV4's $126 each on tirerack, Or if you have a Costco nearby, There doing $70 off at the register on a set of 4.
[*]Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum's. $83 On tirerack with a $50 MIR on a set of 4

Tirerack

I'd go for the Kumho Ecsta. Don't forget it comes w/Manf's road hazard waranty. This will be the next tire on the Golf when the Conti's need replacing.

@michaelluscher, actually the original speed rating is in fact V. Yeah I know it's not illegal to go below the original rating, but most tire shops won't do it.

@satinsilver, all three of the tires I listed in the OP have the same 60k rating

Not really a fan of Cooper tires.

Thanks everybody for the help!

We also need more info to help decide. Where are you located? Snow a concern? Main vehicle purpose? Any modifications. I just got the H-rated Primacy MXV4's from Costco. I wanted the H even though car came with V. They had no issue with it as long as they were able to cover legal butt by listing that on the receipt.

I look at it this way, for many years on other cars I "upgraded" to H rated for the better handling etc. In my Sonata, 6 years, 112k I have only once been over 100mph and that was on a long straight downhill with a tail wind. I think I made it to 110mph. Based on that I think the 130mph speed rating is OK for me. 99% of my drives result in max 75mph staying with traffic.

The H Primacy's have more tread and were I think $40 cheaper per tire than the V's. Unless your doing something very different in a 17 year old more sophisticated Camry, they'll probably work fine for you also.

I too would step down to an "H" Speed Rated Tire for an '96 ES-300. But, that's just me! I guess it depends on just how much handling performance compared to ride quality, that the owner wants.

Out of your three choices I'd go with the Kumho tires followed by the Dunlop and the Falken last choice. The Falken 912 don't wear particularly well compared to their Ziex ZE-612 line. Being that the Kumho is a Grand Touring all-season, it should have better ride comfort compared to the 'high-performance' all-season of the Dunlop.

I'd also take a look at the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus which is about the same price range; the Bridgestone is a 94H tire, however, I don't think you'd find much difference in overall performance compared to a V rated tire. I would not step below an H rated tire for your application however.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Right now, I have the Continental ContiExtremeContact (predecessor to the DWS, but the DWS isn't available in this size), and after about 15k, a couple of them have punctures in them, sidewall cracking, etc. Tire date codes are 0408, 0209, and (2) 0709. I have just under 20k on them.

Help me pick a V-rated tire in the size 205/65-15. Here are my choices so far:
Falken Ziex ZE-912
Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum
Dunlop SP Sport Signature

(I'd also have Goodyear Eagle GT on this list, but they're discontinuing it in favor of the Eagle Sport All-season, which isn't available in this size, and anyway they supposedly wear very quickly)

Since I have experience with 2 out of 3....

Falkens are garbage. The only good quality is it has better dry traction than the Kumhos. They get loud real quick. If you think about using these in the winter.... don't. Not enough siping for any confidence in surviving light snow.

Kumhos are a nice tire. There are better tires for more money (ie Michelin Primacy MXM4, though not available in 205/65r15), but it delivers in combining good dry road traction, comfort & long wear. Has enough siping for light snow... (though I use winter tires, but have had them in light snow, due to procrastination). Wet traction... not as good.

ALso consider the Michelin Defender, General ALtimax HP (if you're willing to settle for a lower speed rating)

Last edited:
Thanks everybody so far! The Falken tires are off my list now.

@UG Passat, The MXM4 isn't available in my size, but Michelin makes the Primacy MXV4 for 205/65-15, but Michelin tires are way too expensive. The Kumho LX Platinum is supposed to be basically a Korean MXV4. A set of the Kumhos would run about $200 less than the equivalent Michelins. The Michelins might be better, but no way are they $200 better.

If I was going to buy Michelin and had the money for them, I'd get the MXV4, not the T-rated Defender. No way in [censored] would I step down to T on a car originally equipped with V's. H, *maybe*, and even then I'm trying to avoid it, but definitely not T.

The Altimax HP are directional tires, so they're out. The only time I'd use them is if it was the only decent tire at a fair price and there were no better options (like stock Integras that take 195/60-14, for example)

@ChrisW, yeah strangely though, even though they are different performance categories, they both have the same 60000 mile tread life warranty. The UTQG treadwear numbers are 460 for the Dunlop, and 600 for Kumho, but the Kumho will probably last longer though.

I don't really really have to have a tire geared towards ride though, as I do have brand new struts on it.

A lot of people seem to like the Kumho tires, so I'll likely end up getting those.

Another thing that has me still considering Dunlop is that the SP Sport Signature is US-made in all sizes, but of course I won't let that be the *only* factor since a better tire is a better tire.

HOw often are you going to be driving more than 130 mph (H-speed rating limit)?

How often are you driving more than 118 mph (T-speed rating limit)?

Do you even want to drive it at triple digit speeds? If so, I hope you kept up with replacing the suspension components and bushings, so it's still stable at triple digit speeds.

Sure, it came with probably Goodyear Eagle GSA, which were V-rated. Around the same time, the chrysler minivans were also equipped with that tire....

I also goofed... the Altimax RT is available in your size, but it is T-rated (see above) and it's a symmetric tire, so it doesn't matter which side is pointed which way.

But aren't lower speed rated tires more squishy feeling? The 65-series sidewall already induces enough of that.

And of course, have you actually gotten a shop worth going to, to install lower tires? Most of them won't for fear of getting sued.

Besides, if the tire fails even at legal highway speeds, they might still try to blame using a below-spec tire.

The Altimax RT43 (successor to the RT) isn't that much cheaper than the Kumhos. It just doesn't seem worth it to use a lower-spec tire.

The Caravan's Eagle GA's weren't V-rated.

In my opinion, not all lower speed rated tires are more squishy feeling. But, I guess it depends on how much road feel and harshness you are willing to tolerate to get better handling/cornering for normal to aggerssive driving.

IMHO, the highest speed ratings are too harsh for the streets and we can't push the vehicles hard enough to use the tires to their full potential rendering them more appropriate for back roads(if this is where you're driving) and track racing.

Have you done any susspension tuning/upgrades to your Lexus ES?
If not, then I'm not understanding the need for "V" rated rubber.

I have Pirelli P4's in the "T" speed rating on my '04 Altima 2.5S and the P4's handle like many "H" speed rated tire that I've had with other brands, all while being smooth, quiet and quite good riding.

I'm not suggesting that you get the P4's, I was just making a statement/comparison
smile.gif

My thought process is competely different than many people when it comes to tires. I hope you don't mind my opinion as I never indend to downplay the opinions of others including yourself. I guess, I'm not understanding(my bad) your driving style in a Lexus.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
In my opinion, not all lower speed rated tires are more squishy feeling. But, I guess it depends on how much road feel and harshness you are willing to tolerate to get better handling/cornering for normal to aggerssive driving.

IMHO, the highest speed ratings are too harsh for the streets and we can't push the vehicles hard enough to use the tires to their full potential rendering them more appropriate for back roads(if this is where you're driving) and track racing.

Have you done any suspension tuning/upgrades to your Lexus ES?
If not, then I'm not understanding the need for "V" rated rubber.

It seems most (or all, in some places) tire shops will not install a tire with a speed rating lower than OE spec, unless it's a winter tire. It's all part of the litigation mindset that rules our world these days.

I have not experienced this first-hand, mainly since the cars I drive tend to spec T-rated tires for OE. The only time I had lower-than-T-rated installed was for winter tires. But I keep reading about the draconian speed-rating policy.

Drifting off-topic....I understand the speed-rating policy for replacement all-season tires---even if I personally think it's silly to refuse to install an H-rated tire on a standard V-6 family sedan, even a luxury brand like a Lexus. The OP seems to want V-rated rubber, which is fine; maybe those who drive the same car and want an H-rated tire can sign a waiver or somesuch.

What gets me is the refusal to install an alternate (plus-zero or minus-zero) size tire that meets OE load and speed rating specs and is very close in diameter. If this is how it's gonna be from now on at least TR and DTD should stop pushing plus- and minus-size options....OK, back to the thread topic:

V-rated Cooper CS4 is on a great deal at DTD right now. The OP says he does not like Cooper tires, but this is enough money to notice. Just a thought.

Yes, I have noticed this too! It's the liabilities that tire installers are trying to aviod.

I often bring in just my wheels to have new tires installed. Not everyone has this option and I certainly understand.
smile.gif

Last edited:
and tires are VERY easy to make a lawsuit about!

So far you guys seem to have generally good experiences with the Kumho, bad experience with Falken, no experience with these Dunlop tires.

Walmart just got some sizes of the SP Sport Signature as an in-store offering, and lowered the price, but not in my size
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back