Wet Generator Battery- Is this water or acid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing regular maintenance on my snow blower and generator today. The generator, a Champion 41532 7000w/9000w, purchased in advance of Hurricane Sandy last year, has been untouched in my shed since last winter/spring. Prior to storage, it had been on my patio for a couple of weeks, covered by a tarp, but a couple of times the tarp had blown off and the generator was rained on. I removed the battery to put in on a charger, and while carrying it found that my hand was wet. Upon inspection, there is a clear liquid coming from the bottom of the battery, where two pieces of the case meet. I don't know how to tell if it is leaking acid or water that found it's way in to the outer case. I felt no abnormal sensation on my skin. A small amount pooled on the counter, and I put some baking soda in it to see if it would react, and it did not. How can I tell if this battery needs replacement? The battery is a CPE-Auto 12v 15aH. Thanks in advance.

Can you remove the caps on the cells? If so, see if any are low. Then dry the battery off well.

If the case is leaking it's battery acid - replace the battery.

A hydrometer, battery tester tool, can tell you the condition of each cell and the state of charge.

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
Can you remove the caps on the cells? If so, see if any are low. Then dry the battery off well.

The thing is completely sealed, there's no way in.

Originally Posted By: HardbodyLoyalist
Sprinkle a pinch of baking soda on the liquid. If it "fizzes," it's acid.

I did try that on a very small amount and found no reaction.

Maybe what I'll do is put it in a safe place for a couple of days, on some cardboard which should show leaking. If it is just water it should stop once it is all evacuated, which I would think would be soon.

Originally Posted By: abycat
A ph test on the liquid would most likely tell you.

I have no test strips or anything of that sort. Is there a homegrown method for this?

+1

You probably have a gel or AGM battery so, I think, what you got on your hand was water from the rain. Depending on the type you have, the electrolyte is either a thick paste or absorbed in a "mat." If these types of batteries are charged regularly, they will last much longer than the year you have had yours.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

+1

+2. Just replaced the battery for our sump as the case split and leaked acid into the box. Lots of water and baking soda to neutralize it. If it fizzes under the soda it's acid. Nothing and it's water.

Thanks everyone. Consensus seems to be that it's probably just rain water. I will monitor over a couple of days to be sure. At least I got drain & fills done on my diffs and tranny today. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back