why people hate ford?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: John_K
Every Ford vehicle I ever owned, or had a friend own, has been a total pile of garbage.

John

I'll HAPPILY take that Merc in your sig off your hands!

Originally Posted By: taurus_sable
how to compare the design under the hood of ford vs a japan brand?

japan car under the hood seems neater, is that so?

Same engine. Mazda6 and Fusion

2007-mazda-6_460x0w.jpg

2009fordfusionselengine01fixedsmall.jpg

At first, the Mazda looks neater, but then you take the beauty shroud off and you see unpainted dull bare aluminum valve covers and you really start to appreciate the work Ford put in with the wiring and split loom...it's kind of a draw. For every nice feature the Ford has, the Mazda has a nice feature somewhere else. The Ford has finished valve covers and clean wire harnesses but the Mazda has a metal power steering pump reservoir and doesn't have a Ford "Insta-Whine" Power Steering Pump....

Originally Posted By: taurus_sable
how to compare the design under the hood of ford vs a japan brand?

japan car under the hood seems neater, is that so?

That varies by model and engine more than anything else, not so much by manufacturer or country of origin.

Some Fords are very straightforward, some are a shoehorning and retrofitting nightmare. Same with Japanese brands. Take for example 3.4L Toyota trucks...very reliable, horrible to service. I hate, hate, hate working on 3.4L Toyotas...most of all if it's what should be a simple oil change. I have a method for 2WDs, but the 4WDs are simply stupid. I like 2.7 trucks a lot...every 3.4 can rust in [censored] as far as I am concerned.

In general, engine bay design went out the window when manufacturers started putting beauty covers and noise insulation on everything. These days underhood design is the equivalent of stuffing too much in a suitcase, then forcing it closed.

I've always associated FORD with ignorant angry farmers.

It has nothing to do with the brand. I would probably buy a Ranger if I needed a small pickup.

Originally Posted By: zerosoma

It has nothing to do with the brand. I would probably buy a Ranger if I needed a small pickup.

so you're posting from the gentrified hipster section of south dakota I guess

We had 5 bad ones in a row. That is why I dislike them and will never own another one. My wifes parents have had a ton of issues with there ford mini van. My friend had a lot of transmission problems with his F150 and another friend that has a new F150 5.0 with only 14,000 miles just had his short block replaced. And talk about a mother fer to work on from the triton forward to today.

No thanks never again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FXjohn

so you're posting from the gentrified hipster section of south dakota I guess

Uh, not quite. I have no problem with rural folk or farmers - just the angry ignorant type who drive ford
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
I don't hate Fords but there are some things I've not liked about them. I've owned a few of their Econolines. The '77 one ton Club Wagon I had was an excellent truck.

I had an 1988 Club Wagon that had an AOD transmission. The shift quadrant went P-R-N-OD-D-L (IIRC). At the time I used to do quite a bit of driving in the mountains. I'd have to gear down for steep grades by shifting into L. The trans would go into 2nd until the van slowed to around 25MPH then it would drop into 1st. And it would stay in 1st and not upshift until you put it back into 3. 3rd was too tall; 2nd would be about right and 1st was too low. Made the van a pain to drive in the hills.

The same van needed a tail light socket (the turn indicators would faintly illuminate when the headlights were on). Ford used to sell a replacement socket with crimp connectors already attached. I went to the dealer to buy one and was told they don't stock it. Weird for something so common. I did get a part number, though. My Dad used to stock them when he owned his own shop.

I go to another dealer and got the same story....don't stock it.

I go to a Ford dealer that specializes in trucks. The guy tells me the socket is $93. [censored]? He goes in the back and brings out this huge box and pulls out part of a wiring harness and a socket attached which is not for an 1157 bulb.

"You need a socket for an 1157?" He goes back and brings out EXACTLY what I was looking for. Ford blue plastic bag with the socket inside. Then he tells me that Ford hasn't used that part since 1986.
confused2.gif

Since this van, I have not owned a Ford since.

Dang. I forgot to mention our van pool vehicle. It's a 2012, E350 extended. When we got it a year and a half ago it had around 7k miles on it. It now has close to 48k miles. All freeway miles.

Just a few observations I have:

1. The A/C seems to be low on refrigerant already. It doesn't cool as well when the van is standing still.

2. The brakes are either worn or out of adjustment in the rear; 4-wheel discs. If you step on the brake pedal once and then twice in succession, the pedal on the second pump will have risen noticeably.

3. The front end is kind of whack. Sometimes if you hit a sharp bump and it's transmitted into the steering column, something feels loose. Also when making left turns you can feel something unloading with a thump and it too is transmitted through the steering column.

4. The van gets an average of 16-17 MPG. This is with the A/C on in the afternoon. Not bad.

5. Overall, it's a nice vehicle to commute in. It's a 12 passenger van with 11 of us riding so it feels a it cramped.

We first started out with 9 riders/drivers and we tried an E250. I think it had a smaller engine than the E350 because it seemed to always be downshifting and running in 3rd and not OD to maintain 70MPHhighway speeds with our fat butts in the seats. It also got a few MPG less and the bigger E350.

The important stuff:

I'll have to check the sticker in the windshield next Thursday (my day to drive) but I think the OCI's are 3k miles and 10w-30 Castrol or Havoline (?).

Enterprise owns the van, we just rent it. Enterprise takes care of maintenance and any repairs (it's been trouble-free). We just have to keep it washed and vacuumed.

Uh, not quite. I have no problem with rural folk or farmers - just the angry ignorant type who drive ford
thumbsup2.gif

I can see the Prius SMUG cloud from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back