Doing coolant research

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Extended-life carboxylate-based coolants were developed to be globally acceptable and provide superior performance over existing technologies. This technology is also known as organic additive technology (OATs). Because full carboxylate coolants have no silicates, they meet the stringent requirements of the Asian specifications. They also meet the European coolant requirements because they have no phosphates. These coolants have developed international popularity due to having an unsurpassed corrosion protection for extended time intervals.

Source

What are your thoughts on this?

Coolant has become an afterthought to many people because of the 'extended life' nature of modern coolants. My neighbor has yet to change the factory (Dexcool) coolant in his 2005 LeSabre (with only approx. 55K) and there doesn't seem to be any problem.
Like everything else, it's a double-edged sword because a whole generation of drivers are being led to believe that coolant is nearly permanent.
As far as older vs. newer technologies, they both work well (in the right application). The old green stuff worked in virtually everything but had to be changed every 2 (or 3 at most) years.
The new stuff works well and can go much longer.
I believe that issues with coolants like Dexcool were more related to the application than the actual coolant (Dexcool can cause sludge when air can enter the coolant....also dexcool deteriorated certain type gaskets in certain applications (where the coolant contacted the IM gasket) before gasket materials were improved.

IMO, certain vehicles will do fine on dexclones like the current breed of AMAM (Prestone, Peak etc..) Other vehicles should probably stick with the OE coolant. I don't feel it's always necessary to use the overpriced OE stuff.

PS: I'm running Peak AMAM (a dexclone) in my Saturn, regular green in my Hyundai, and OE in my Corolla. I'm not concerned about the silicates in the green stuff because the Hyundai will get it's water pump changed when the timing belt is replaced.

Don't put oat coolant in a copper/brass radiater or heater.it will eat through the solder quick. And oat should not be used in a system with a radiator cap on the radiator. Most people never check the coolant level until its too late. if it gets low it creates mud.

It works fine with pressurized over flow bottles.

The article doen't make a distinction between the OAT's that contain 2eha and those that don't. While silicate free, the Asian P-HOAT Extended life coolants do not contain nor recommend 2eha that is contained in Dexcool, DexClones OAT's.

Thus, I consider the part quoted about meeting both Asian specs for no silicates and Euro specs for no phospates to be only partly true. In truth the full OAT's like Dex would not meet either Asian or Euro spec.

A more recent article on the subject was of AF/coolants was posted by member doitmyself linked below* and it discusses the differences including the use of 2eha in some coolants and not in others. It also states that the main concern of AF with 2eha being it softens silicone which may be used in gaskets, orings and hoses and cause leaks.

*http://www.sae.org/mags/aei/enrg/11284

Originally Posted By: sayjac
The article doen't make a distinction between the OAT's that contain 2eha and those that don't. While silicate free, the Asian P-HOAT Extended life coolants do not contain nor recommend 2eha that is contained in Dexcool, DexClones OAT's.

Thus, I consider the part quoted about meeting both Asian specs for no silicates and Euro specs for no phospates to be only partly true. In truth the full OAT's like Dex would not meet either Asian or Euro spec.

A more recent article on the subject was of AF/coolants was posted by member doitmyself linked below* and it discusses the differences including the use of 2eha in some coolants and not in others. It also states that the main concern of AF with 2eha being it softens silicone which may be used in gaskets, orings and hoses and cause leaks.

*http://www.sae.org/mags/aei/enrg/11284

Interesting read. I wonder though, if an OAT is used in an engine that recommends something other than OAT, like the 5.4l mentioned, and changed at 50k miles or 5 year intervals. What damage, if any, might occur? Assuming the previous fluid was completely removed before refill.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Don't put oat coolant in a copper/brass radiater or heater.it will eat through the solder quick.

HOATs seem fine with this, though. One of the good things about G-05 is that it works in multi-metal systems.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
.... Interesting read. I wonder though, if an OAT is used in an engine that recommends something other than OAT, like the 5.4l mentioned, and changed at 50k miles or 5 year intervals. What damage, if any, might occur? Assuming the previous fluid was completely removed before refill.

If the OAT is a Dex based AF containing 2eha, gasket o-rings and hose (in)compatibility 'could be' an issue. Ford recommends G-05 for that engine for some reason, perhaps that's it. Otoh, it it might work just fine with a complete flush/exchange, but it's a roll of the dice imo. And the article says the phase out of those engines was partly because of OAT incompatibility.

I'd feel better using 2eha free Peak Global Lifetime OAT rather than Dex. But, G-05 is spec and it's not too difficult to find, that would be my first choice for the 4.6/5.4L engine.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Don't put oat coolant in a copper/brass radiater or heater.it will eat through the solder quick.

HOATs seem fine with this, though. One of the good things about G-05 is that it works in multi-metal systems.

ya but I'm keeping an eye on you to post that you sprung a leak! I'm Still not completely sold with the long life coolant in old style radiators. So far you seem to be having good luck with the G05. Prestone long life and orange dexcool will eat one in six months And we will not cover under warranty if a long life coolant was used in any copper brass radiator we recore

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back