Who here has an Armada?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this thread about a week ago about my sister looking for a new car.

I was trying to talk her into looking at minivans, but it seems that she has decided on a full-sized SUV. And she likes the Armada.

Anyone here own one now, or owned one in the past?

What do you think of them?

Right now, this is the one she's looking at. It's an SL model, Certified:

http://iphone.jimkerasnissanmemphis.com/...d01ac14_p_2Ehtm

Is that a reasonable price?

On a side note that is terrible MPG considering the cost per mile difference in that and a comparable mini van.

Biscut has one. You can send him a pm since he may not see this thread. I remember him from one of the threads he started about his girlfriend's suv.

Originally Posted By: Brenden
On a side note that is terrible MPG considering the cost per mile difference in that and a comparable mini van.

Of course I'm aware of that and I've told her that.

The one complaint I have heard is the gas tank is kind of small considering how thirsty it is. The person I know was complaining they were always putting in gas. Then again she was comparing the gas tank to the tank on her husbands suburban.

Originally Posted By: tdpark
The one complaint I have heard is the gas tank is kind of small considering how thirsty it is. The person I know was complaining they were always putting in gas. Then again she was comparing the gas tank to the tank on her husbands suburban.

I'd rather fill up more often than leave feeling raped once every 2 weeks, but that's just me
21.gif

At the very least try to convince her of a more economical SUV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does she need seating for eight? If not there are a plethora of better choices...Its a pretty substantial vehicle if you actually have use for all its capabilities.

Last edited:
I have a pretty low opinion of the vehicle, thus I think it's wickedly overpriced. But that's just me. In the end, she'll buy what she wants; I wouldn't worry about it. Compare it to online pricing; Carfax indicates the price is about right, for what its worth.

Test drive it yet? Maybe offer to go with her, on the condition that she has to test drive something that you think is more reasonable. [That's probably being pushy; only you know how much you can sway her decision.]

We looked at the Sienna, bought an Expedition EL. The Expy is thirst, but has a 34 gallon tank which is more convenient for the long trips we take. The Sienna rear area (behind 3rd row) was too small for our lifestyle.

Not everyone wants a minivan, and it doesn't always make sense.

As for the Armada, the price/condition is fine, but I will have to warn that the space behind the rear seat is borderline useless, which is why we went with the Expy EL (cross shopped the Suburban). I am not a fan of the Armada/Sequoia/Tahoe/Expedition length vehicles for that reason.

13MPG !!! Nice

Suburban is a much superior vehicle IMHO and gets 15MPG at least around town. American automakers own the large SUV category. Toyota offering is decent though too but thirsty.

Not only will the gas for this SUV be high priced, but take a look at the price of replacement tires for those 20" wheels. A set of tires will be over $1K! Tell her to look at all the variables.FWIW

Oldtommy

Originally Posted By: rjundi
13MPG !!! Nice

Suburban is a much superior vehicle IMHO and gets 15MPG at least around town. American automakers own the large SUV category. Toyota offering is decent though too but thirsty.

She says her Explorer was only getting 13 MPG (all her driving is around town). So, it's hard to make that argument with her.

Tell me, why do you say the Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon is superior?

I worked at Auto Zone while I was in school, and I saw how the GM SUVs nickel and dime people on alternators, starters, fuel pumps, water pumps, and other components. Yeah, the reciprocating assemblies on the GM V8s are pretty bulletproof (although they all use oil), but all the surrounding componentry is [censored] on them.

On the other hand, my last 4 vehicles, over the past 15 years or so, have been Japanese, and they've all been almost trouble-free.

My current daily driver, an 07 Tacoma, I bought new in 2007. 120,000 miles now, and I've had 2 things go wrong on it - a U-joint, which I replaced myself at a cost of 15 dollars, and a connection in the overhead compass/temp display unit had faulty soldering, which a friend re-soldered for me, at no cost.

Most people don't have the same experience in American-brand vehicles.

I find the name "Armada" interesting. It doesn't mean just a big boat, rather a whole bunch of them. How do the come up with this stuff?

If she got 13mpg on the prior vehicle, what are the bets she gets 11 or even 10 in this? Pretty sure Explorers had higher city estimate... Her money, not mine, not judging, not caring.

Good point on the Armada name. Maybe they thought they'd take over the large SUV market?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supton
Pretty sure Explorers had higher city estimate... Her money, not mine, not judging, not caring.

They were rated 14/20

Originally Posted By: Blazered
I find the name "Armada" interesting. It doesn't mean just a big boat, rather a whole bunch of them. How do the come up with this stuff?

One I find hilarious is the Dodge Avenger.

Remind me, what is it avenging? Lol

My wife has a Chevy Equinox, and it has a lot of room in it and gets good mpg. It goes decent in the snow, too. No problems and she has owned it over 2 years. If you're not towing, a fullsize SUV is a waste of money at any angle you look at it.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
My wife has a Chevy Equinox, and it has a lot of room in it and gets good mpg. It goes decent in the snow, too. No problems and she has owned it over 2 years. If you're not towing, a fullsize SUV is a waste of money at any angle you look at it.

I agree with ya brother, you're preach'n to the choir. But have you ever tried to reason with a woman?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back