WIX vs Napa Gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read many times that the NAPA Gold is a WIX filter. Is that true today? Do we have any side by side cut open comparisons to make the judgment call? I was just wondering. Ed

Agreed. Mazda used to use the same filter as Honda, puro equivalent l14610, and the Napa and Wix in that size are the same.

Quote:
And now Wix makes the O'Reilly house brand (MicroGard) as well.

True, but it is not a Wix/Napa Gold filter. A 'made for' by Wix similar to/same as Napa Pro Select and Auto Extra.

But yes, Wix = Napa Gold.

I use the 1372 NAPA gold on my 2 Fords . Noticed a difference in heigth of about 3/8" between 2 that must have come from different batches and the shorter of the 2 is marked made in USA and the taller has no info .
I wonder if the taller of the 2 is from the Polish plant ?
Bottoms and everything else that I can see looks the same .

Wasn't there an old thread where someone cut them open side by side and dissected them fully? If I remember correctly they were the same media type except the Napa Gold had a few less pleats in the media than the Wix.

@Brendan: You are correct, if my memory serves me correctly. The Napa gold had 4 less pleats, Napa Blue had 2 Less pleats and the Wix had something like 61 or 62 pleats. That was the only difference in the entire filter.

So there WERE differences (can length & number of pleats) from an OLD comparison. I was hoping we had some present data with pictures of a WIX vs Gold. As others have mentioned, made by WiX is not the same as identical to a WIX. Ed

I don't know that I'd call that a "difference", I have seen variations of a few pleats even within the same line. For example I have seen Motorcraft FL-400S with 62 pleats, however the last one I counted had 58.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I don't know that I'd call that a "difference", I have seen variations of a few pleats even within the same line. For example I have seen Motorcraft FL-400S with 62 pleats, however the last one I counted had 58.

There may be some sort of error margin per line, those 4 pleats missing in the Napa can were about an inch in total media length.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

The last Purolator PL20195 I cut open had 67 pleats instead of the usual 60 pleats I counted in the two previous PL20195s I've cut open. The dimensions of the pleats were slightly smaller in the 67 pleat version, so total surface area was almost the same, which leads me to believe that Purolator changed the design of the media assembly.

Note that the Fleet Filter comparison even has a typo. Its chart claims the Wix uses a leaf spring and the Napa Gold uses a coil spring. Yet, the text says they both use a coil spring and the pictures clearly show coil springs for both filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back