w108 280sel Differential Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Own a 1970 280sel (108.019) 6cyl Mercedes Benz and need to change the differential oil. I'm having a tough time getting the right information. Some people say not to use synthetic. Some say to just use 75w-90. Previously I was informed that my rear axle is not "Limited Slip". Which oil can I use? Which oil is recommended? Please advise

Ive always run M1 75w-90 in my w123 diffs and after hundreds of thousands of miles they look pristine.

I just registered to ask the same question, but for an 8cyl car with LSD.

According to the official Mercedes maintenance manual, we need SAE90 hypoid transmission oil. LSD equipped cars need the same weight, but a "special" hypoid transmission oil.

non-LSD cars require oil that meet specification 235.0
Here is a list of oils that are approved
http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/235.0_en.html

LSD cars require specification 235.3
http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/235.3_en.html

As you can see, not much choice. I also stopped by a Mercedes dealership and they tried to sell me 75W85 Mercedes branded oil at $65 per liter, part# 001989330312

Do you have datacard for you car? LSD option number is 256. If you have that number under "wenig gewunscht" you have a LSD.

Last edited:
I checked once before and I do not have a Limited Slip Differential (LSD)

Datacard with translation below.

Engine: 130980-12-043753
Transmission: 10185
180- Paint, Silver Grey Metallic
131- Interior Trim, Black MB-Tex
401- Single seats
423- Mercedes-Benz power steering and automatic transmission with
steering column shift
461- Instrument with mileage reading in English
491- U.S. Version
503- Outside rearview mirror, on the left
515- Becker radio
524- Paintcoat preservation
540- Seat adapter between the front seats
570- Front folding armrest
589- Thermoking air conditioner and electric window lifters (front and
rear doors)
598- Heat-insulating glass
641- White-wall tires
669- Mode of packing VE IV

Last edited:
Hi,
Gito - for you JHZR2 is correct Mobil or Delvac synthetic 75W-90 is a great choice

SickFinga - The MB Dealership is correct but Mobilube FE 75W-85 would do the job too IMO

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Gito - for you JHZR2 is correct Mobil or Delvac synthetic 75W-90 is a great choice

SickFinga - The MB Dealership is correct but Mobilube FE 75W-85 would do the job too IMO

Doug, wouldn't the lower than recommended oil weight be an issue? I currently have Castrol Syntec 75w90 in my differential and for some reason the oil spays out of the breather hole when I'm driving. After a long highway drive my rear is cover in small oil spots.
I checked the oil level and it's fine so I'm blaming the oil right now.

I couldn't find SAE90 gear oil, so I purchased Castrol Hypoy C 80W90. Should I go with it or should I return it?

For an open differential car, I really don't think it makes much difference to be honest. Get somewhere close to the correct viscosity, and change it at appropriate intervals.

Hi,
SickFinga - The advice both JHZR2 and I provided is accurate

Be very sure that you are not overfilling the diff! Small traces don't amount to much volume but any undue pressure may damage seals!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back