Kia engine coolant type

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know what the proper coolant for a 08 Kia Spectra is? It says "ethyline gylcol for aluminum radiator"

Local options are regular silicate green, Zerex "asian" formula silicate free HOAT, Prestone Extended 5/150 all makes and models

Not sure if Hyundai/Kia recommends silicate free coolant like some other manufactures, or if the regular green is fine. Also, if regular green is fine, any problem with using something like Prestone Extended Life ?

Do yourself a favor and buy the real Kia brand coolant from a Kia dealership. I paid a few months ago about $17.50 for a gallon of the concentrated real Kia brand coolant from local dealer. It's a little different from coolants you listed above. It's a blue/green color and is best match for your car even though it costs a couple of dollars more.

I would go with OEM, when possible. Hyundai or Kia should be identical.
The only other brand I've used in the Hyundai was Zerex Asian coolant AF. It is also an EG-based and silicate-free formula. One big difference is the color, but I didn't notice any difference in corrosion. Before I started doing my own services, my local shop did a flush with Zerex.

Locally, I've found that Hyundai/Kia OE full-strength coolant ($25/gal) is actually cheaper than Zerex pre-mix ($30/2 gal).
BTW, I found Winco has distilled water for $0.76/gal for anyone living near one. I bought 2 cases before my last flush.

Hyundai/Kia:
IMG_0591_zps4cfed312.jpg

Zerex Asian:
B84DB101-F450-4798-8A11-2B70CFFC5590-8013-000009F9566F735B_zps75eca40c.jpg

IIRC, Beck Arnley also makes a formulation that is compatible and is green like the OE fill. Problem is, you can't often find it locally.

I've also heard that Mitsubishi/Mazda (whom Hyundai has "borrowed" engine designs from) green coolant, and Toyota red coolants are also compatible. They are similar in composition. Again this is mainly hearsay and I don't have any first hand experience.

We have a regional parts store that keeps some on hand and the O'Reilly in town does too. If yours doesn't stock it, then maybe they can order it.

Keep it simple, put genuine Kia coolant in a Kia car. It's kinda silly putting in something similar, or something that could work...sorta. The genuine Kia Long-Life part # is: UM040-CH012. If you can get it locally at a dealership great, if not it can be purchased online too. I checked my receipt from last Spring...I paid $19.95 for a gallon jug at a local dealer.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
We have a regional parts store that keeps some on hand and the O'Reilly in town does too. If yours doesn't stock it, then maybe they can order it.

Sorry, was getting ahead of myself. I meant that they keep or could order some of the Beck Arnley coolant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back