What oil for Toyota Echo 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend has a Toyota Echo 2000 and currently uses SuperTech 10W-30. What is the recommended oil for this car.

He lives in Minnesota.
Around 200K miles on car.
Does a lot of highway driving to Iowa.
Parks outside in the winter but uses block heater.

Definitely NOT 10w30 weight oil in that climate! What does owners manual suggest? A synthetic such as Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum would serve him well in an 0w20 or 5w20 flavor.

5w30 would be my choice...Pennzoil Yellow Bottle every season but for winter 5w30 Penzoil Platinum. The car is older, while probably running well enough 5w20 is not the only option.

Last edited:
any 5W30 will do so long as the engine doesn't burn a lot of oil (if latter is the case, switch to using hile mileage 5W30).

q.

I generally use M1 0W-20 but sometimes use M1 5W-30. In the winter the valve chatter on startup is noticeably reduced with the 0W-20 which is nice.

Originally Posted By: wally6934
My friend has a Toyota Echo 2000 and currently uses SuperTech 10W-30. What is the recommended oil for this car.

He lives in Minnesota.
Around 200K miles on car.
Does a lot of highway driving to Iowa.
Parks outside in the winter but uses block heater.

If he has 200k miles on his car, chances are he has used 10W30 for some time and it seems to have worked out fine. If it works fine keep using it.

A 2000 Echo uses the 1nz-fe which is one of the best subcompact engines ever made.

He should feed his baby what it was designed to use, 5w-30.

That said, she's not all that picky.

Originally Posted By: FordTrucks71
Definitely NOT 10w30 weight oil in that climate!

Since he uses a block heater, I don't see a big problem with 10w30. However in that cold climate, the original Toyota recommendation of 5w30 would be more appropriate when parked away from an outlet.

It is hard to answer the question without knowing the desired OCI, oil consumption and if the engine has other issues. However given the low cost of Supertech full syn 5w30, and in keeping with the economy nature of the vehicle, I think that's what I'd recommend.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HangFire
Since he uses a block heater, I don't see a big problem with 10w30. However in that cold climate, the original Toyota recommendation of 5w30 would be more appropriate when parked away from an outlet.

The block heater won't do anything significant to warm the oil, but it will help start when colder. I don't see any major issue with using 10w-30 in it, but if it were me, it would certainly be a 5w-30. And yes, the ST 5w-30 would be a hard choice to beat.

Lets see:
Lots of Highway use?
200k miles?
Toyota Echo?

My answer:
The cheapest 5w30 I could find for it. Peak or Nextgen probably.

It's spec'd for 5w30 from what I see.. And I would run that since it's got a but load of miles..

81CC3B5A-2576-4543-9F93-224729DC2DEB-2486-000006EEA5E7A6E9_zps2b9d4ec3.jpg

I've seen that Canadian chart posted a lot here.

I'm sure none of those oils will hurt any of those engines, but I'm also not taking that thing as gospel, either.

Amsoils chart probably doesn't include the Toyota back spec. In reality it would run on lots of oils, but these are fuel misers and 5w20 should make a difference in fuel economy. I would love to have an Echo for the gas mileage.

It's gonna make such a small difference it's not worth it, plus it having 200k miles on it, going to a 20 is gonna probably cause some top end noise where the clearances have opened up due to mileage..

It's gonna make such a small difference it's not worth it, plus it having 200k miles on it, going to a 20 is gonna probably cause some top end noise where the clearances have opened up due to mileage..

It is the other way around IMO. Mine is noticeably quieter with 0W-20, both at startup and running. A big difference in startup though.

Originally Posted By: Flareside302

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back