BOBISTHEOILGUY FILTER TESTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, (and gals), Joe, and myself, all have been working to put a flow test together on filters. There has been a few others that have some knowledge of our attempts and have sent us some items to assist in this as well.

Now in an attempt to do such, I want to say we are no where near ready to establish our runs but because of the excitement we have about this, I wanted to show you all what we have done so far and what we have. I am still needing to work out some bugs as the motor appears not to be up to the task fully, but I think this is giving us a peak as to some of the basic questions on flow.

Remember, the better the filtration, the lower the flow? Atleast that was my theory, so to somewhat establish this, here is what I did.

In this pic, we have the motor attached to a 302 ford oil pump. This is a 90vdc 1 and 1/2 hp variable speed motor. This assembly sits in a 5gal oil bucket.
 -

Now, I attached a filter relocator kit with the standard 3/4 thread for a ford filter. Because of the speed bugs for the motor that I still have to resolve, I just setup each filter to show a 40lb pressure to the filter and see what the drop was across the filter. Now this isn't exactly what I had/have in mind on how to test but as before, motor needs some beefing up as it will blow the breaker when I put too much pressure to the bearing area by closing off the valve too tight.

The red hose is the output going back to the bucket.

Amsoils filter....
 -

Mobil 1 filter....
 -

K&N filter....
 -

Fram filter....
 -

Anyway, figured this might give you guys something to talk about...
bob

Very interesting. Nice set up also.
smile.gif

I'll have to keep checking in to see how things are going. Keep up the good work.
grin.gif

patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
Cost so far invested on my part is about 150.00 give or take a few. As for Joe, I have no idea for sure.

My share has been around $150 also. I gotta tell you guys, Bob has done a great job putting this together. We are really trying to do some "real world" tests on oil filters instead of just cutting open filters and taking pictures. -Joe

Nice experiemntal setup Bob and Joe. I will be interested in seeing the full hot/cold test.
Let me know if you need an extra pump (hydraulic), since I have a few used spares. I also have an extra CarQuest filter for that mount if you like.

If you need some hydraulic calculations done let me know since I have both MatLab and MathCad.

Just Fantastic Bob!
I had thought about rigging up a crude tester using head pressure from whatever height was appropriate but this is much better. My check is in the mail! RW

After we start gettin this whole thing together so it makes sense, we will eventually link it on our front page. Our goals are to try and see if we can watch bypass valves, when and how long do they stay open, oil drop across filters when oil is cold, when hot.., Also have an idea on how we might beable to measure antidrain back valves for leakage, not sure, idea only at this time and will take more parts to do that. At this time, we are just wanting to do some basic flow tests , mainly because without good flow, you have a higher chance of higher wear numbers on your analysis. Anyway, lots of testing before conclusions are final.

Thanks, really like the input from everone.
bob

quote:

Originally posted by cheeks:
Patman is gonna be like a kid at his first carnival when he sees this.
grin.gif

Yep!
smile.gif

I've known about this test being in the works for a while now and definitely can't wait for all the data to come in!

fruit.gif

A good way to monitor oil temps will be critical to the accuracy of your measurements. Also, you'll need an rpm gauge on your motor to meter the flow. Nice work so far!

The Fram doesn't drop the pressure as much as the Mobil1 (for example), but maybe that's because of the much smaller amount of filtration element inside of the filter??

i got a email from fram...alot of their filters dont have a bypass filter.... just some food for thought.

interesting how fram doesnt drop

Could you test a Super Tech? Just to see if the media is in fact not the same as the Bosch. I'm sure many others would like to see what a Super Tech filter would do.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU BOB. I believe that at ambient temps it is very important to keep the temperature close as possible with each filter.
My filter to add to the test is PURE ONE by Purlator. To expand the test results you could run a thicker oil 20w-50 or straight 40w at ambient and hot to smilulate various temps/viscosity changes in a normal car warming up. Also you could test two smaller filters within same brand to see affect on filter size.
Fram ph3600 and ph3614 will work on your adapter, same thread, gasket size has ph8A. I personally like the seeing the results from the amsoil filter. I do believe it is a efficient filter, but at what cost to flow/pressure drop.
It looks like 6 psi better than the mobil 1 at 10psi.

Bob,
If you can do it, I'd like to see the results with a standard rate of oil flow (maybe a constant speed pump) and a light oil which at room temperature is equal in viscosity to 180°F SAE30. I feel that testing this way would be a good simulation of what's happening inside an engine.

In addition, we need to run particle tests on oil filters. After all, the only thing a filter can do is remove particles, and particle testing of the oil will give us that info.

Many thanks for your efforts,
Ken

Very nice Job guys. I am also interested in seeing how a Supertech filter does. Do you know how much flowrate you have? I think a flowmeter and temperature gauge or thermometer would be very valuable here too. I am interested to see the high temp test results. Are you going try a temperature that should be running in a typical engine? Are you gonna do some tests at a high pressure (~80 psi) also?

I just sent you some money by PayPal to help with this excellent work.
smile.gif

Bob,
According to your pictures,Fram had a little less pressure drop than K&N.Very interesting.How much do you have invested in your test equiptment?
What oil was used?

Mark

[ March 26, 2003, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

Great experiement!!!! I love it!!

A few suggestions.

1. Can you test the Bosch Premium. There has been alot of positive comments about this filter and is highly recommended by Champion.
2. It would also be interesting to see if you could get each filter to go in bypass and then see if the bypass valve reseats. This will help us decide which bypass system works best.

Again, I love the test and keep the data coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back