need something to dissolve rust flecks on rawsteel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a machined piece of steel "in the white" that has some small rust flecks over it. I tried mineral spirits and 0000 steel wool and it just lightened it a bit. what should I use?

I've used vinegar to soak tools with rust on them. It works well but then they need a light coat of oil or they rust again.

Vinegar works well. And yes, oil or prime/paint immediately....acid will activate the metal to quickly rust again.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Naval Jelly?

Bingo. You need to neutralize the rust, but you must paint over it immediately or the rust will just come back.

Naval jelly has phosphoric acid - up to 30% along with a small amount of sulfuric acid (think pickling).

Are you experience flash rust on the part?

used CLR and it darkened the metal significantly
frown.gif
Now what?

I wiped of the blackish residue and wiped it down with Ed's Red. I just took it out and dunked it in my used engine oil and am letting it drip dry back into the bucket overnight. Tomorrow I'll brush it off with some kerosene and a parts brush. Then it should be good to go I guess.

CLR created oxides on the metal. That's why it darkened up.

Why not degrease the part, and immediately slap some primer on it....and then put whatever paint/finish you want on it?

My favorite rust preventor is Phosphoric Acid with Zinc Oxide dissolved in it. I make my own. But POR 15 makes it as well. The acid eats away the rust, and the zinc deposits on the iron (which forms a galvanic-like coating on the steel). This prevents rusts from forming by "sealing" it off, and the zinc is sacrificial to the iron.

Then paint immediately once dry. POR15 has an excellent paint product as well.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
My favorite rust preventor is Phosphoric Acid with Zinc Oxide dissolved in it. I make my own. But POR 15 makes it as well. The acid eats away the rust, and the zinc deposits on the iron (which forms a galvanic-like coating on the steel). This prevents rusts from forming by "sealing" it off, and the zinc is sacrificial to the iron.

Then paint immediately once dry. POR15 has an excellent paint product as well.

Can you share your top secret procedure for making the generic Por-15. Also does it have a shelf life.

Why not degrease the part, and immediately slap some primer on it....and then put whatever paint/finish you want on it?
because it is a moving part on a rifle

My favorite rust preventor is Phosphoric Acid with Zinc Oxide dissolved in it. I make my own.
Can you share your top secret procedure for making the generic Por-15. Also does it have a shelf life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back