Kendall GT-1 Synthetic Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
How good is Kendall GT-1 Synthetic Blend with Liquid Titanium? I've recently considered using this oil in a 2000 Ford Taurus. What OCI would you recommend with this oil?

What kind of driving do you do? If all highway it could go 7500 on a clean engine, if all city down to 3000.

Well, it is pretty well maintained, but I wouldn't really want to push it much further than 5,000 miles. Is it a pretty good oil overall? How does it compare to other more well-known blends?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
What kind of driving do you do? If all highway it could go 7500 on a clean engine, if all city down to 3000.

Well it was my grandmother's car before she passed. Now it is generally used for short trips to and from town. However, it occasionally gets used for longer trips. It doesn't even have 75,000 miles on it.

5k since a lot of short trips.. Every other week try to take out for a decent length drive to get rid of any condensation build up..

Kendall can handle 10k on a N/A engine and easily handle your 5k. Don't listen to the nay sayers, this oil has an outstanding additive package and has a large dose of synthetic in it already.

Excellent oil that has a great main EP additive that is probably as good (possibly better in some respects) as MoS2. I've used this on many family cars, from older VW's to gm and modrn volvos and it has always done great and I could very noticably see the much quicker slick startups upon getting that oil change done.

As with any oil, esp any non real _full_ synth, don't go beyond Ford's recommended interval, and for cars that are mostly short trippers, stick closer to the extreme service recommendation.

Back in the day when I had a Ford, they rec'd 5k, and that still seems like a good estimate to use for my current (subaru) vehicles (and typcally also other cars with an oil capacity of under 4.5 qts).... Plus or minus 1k, 4k if it's a short tripper, and 6k to max 7k if you put on mostly longer trip freeway miles.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Kendall can handle 10k on a N/A engine and easily handle your 5k. Don't listen to the nay sayers, this oil has an outstanding additive package and has a large dose of synthetic in it already.
10k would really be pushing it IMO, unless you had a large oil capacity and these were just about 100% longer trip freeway miles. Around 5k is much safer to stick to, and close to optimal for most typical conditions.

The Boss just had Kendall GT-1 semi-syn put in her '03 Taurus SES at Firestone five weeks ago. First time either of us has used it, and first OC since she bought the Bull in July.

Too soon to say for sure, but so far it has not burned a drop in mostly gentle driving. Oil still looks good on the stick---but it's early days. I plan to encourage her to go 6 months/5K miles, as per the maintenance guide, at least this first time. If I change it myself next time, I will likely use Motorcraft semi-syn. If it were 'my' car I would go with M1 HM 5-20, probably. (Car just hit 152K miles.)

But my research, including a post here, suggests the Kendall GT-1 should be fine for a 4th-gen Taurus. Note that if you have the Duratec 30, it takes 5.5 quarts to fill---and some places try to put in 6 quarts. (It was specced at 5.5 quarts for 2000-03, then changed to 6 quarts for '04-'05.)

That did not help much, maybe....but I would say go with the suggested OCI the first time, as we plan to do. See how the car runs between now and then. Good luck.

Recently changed out the blend at 6250 and the oil looked good, still translucent. I think its a good oil, my driving is probably 65 % hwy. Impressed with Kendall and wish I could find it locally. Running the full syn and feel comfortable for 7500 (still under warranty.)

Originally Posted By: The_Captain
I thought that motorcraft syn-blend and kendall syn-blend were basically the same oil.

Close cousins, at the least. See: http://is.gd/wO7Gc0

Looking for more info on that myself.

Originally Posted By: faramir9
Originally Posted By: The_Captain
I thought that motorcraft syn-blend and kendall syn-blend were basically the same oil.

Close cousins, at the least. See: http://is.gd/wO7Gc0

Looking for more info on that myself.

They are both made by COP but Kendall is the flag ship oil with a stronger additive package than Motorcraft oil.

Originally Posted By: ueberooo
Originally Posted By: volk06
10k would really be pushing it IMO, unless you had a large oil capacity and these were just about 100% longer trip freeway miles. Around 5k is much safer to stick to, and close to optimal for most typical conditions.

If it can hold up to Taxi Cabs at 10K OCI, it will do just fine in his taurus at 5K ocis.

Quote:
I will likely use Motorcraft semi-syn

I thought MC and Kendall semi-synthetics are almost the same oil - both products of Conoco-Phillips. Am I remembering this wrong?

Is there a reason to prefer one over the other?

If you have the Vulcan engine you can go 10k easy. If you have the DOHC engine I would keep it closer to 6-7k.

The Vulcan v6 is the easiest engine on motor oil I'm familiar with. Pretty much up there with the vortec 4.3 for how easy they are on TBN.

Plenty of folks on Taurus car club do 10k conventional oci on the Vulcan and I always hear how clean the engine is whenever they do any work on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back