Does anyone use Oil Catch Cans here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder why your car is not pulling much in compared to mine. I first checked mine when I had it on the car for about 250 miles and it had about a teaspoon of oil in it then. I wonder if I should be concerned with the amount that I'm pulling in?

Don't you run 5W-50 in your car? Mine takes 5W-20. I wonder if the higher viscosity has anything to do with it. Is there any internal differences in your engine vs the regular GT cars?

Wayne

Originally Posted By: wtd
I wonder why your car is not pulling much in compared to mine. I first checked mine when I had it on the car for about 250 miles and it had about a teaspoon of oil in it then. I wonder if I should be concerned with the amount that I'm pulling in?

Don't you run 5W-50 in your car? Mine takes 5W-20. I wonder if the higher viscosity has anything to do with it. Is there any internal differences in your engine vs the regular GT cars?

Wayne

Supposedly no internal differences. It still has the factory fill 5W50. How do you drive yours? My last tank I got 13.2mpg if that tells you anything.

The 5W-50 is probably thicker at the temps encountered in normal driving, so there may be less mist getting kicked up and pulled through the PCV. I'm sure if you drive it hard for a while and get the oil good and hot, you'll notice more oil accumulating in the can (especially if there's lots of high rpm / closed throttle).

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: wtd

Wayne

Supposedly no internal differences. It still has the factory fill 5W50. How do you drive yours? My last tank I got 13.2mpg if that tells you anything.

I don't drive it real hard but do get into it occasionally. I'm averaging 23-24mpg on mine but I drive a lot of highway vs in town. You must drive yours pretty hard to only be getting 13.2mpg but that heavy 5W-50 probably has something to do with it.

Do you have the option of running 5W-20 in your car or is 5W-50 the only approved viscosity?

Wayne

I find that strange that if your engine is the same internally as mine, that you cannot run the lighter weight oil or that I'm not able to run your viscosity. My car has the 3.15 gears so it's pretty highway friendly.

I guess I'm happy that I didn't get a track pack car because I wouldn't like your kind of mileage and I have not seen that weight viscosity oil anywhere. Where do you buy yours?

Wayne

I see. I don't recall seeing that viscosity at Walmart where I buy my oil at but of course I have never looked either.

Have you done any mods to your car yet other than the catch can?

I was under the impression that a catch can smaller then 1 liter wasn't effective and not worth installing since its not giving enough room/time for the mist/junk to cool and solidify/liquify(?)to be caught by the can?
Does that make any since? If not I'll try to explain myself better.

Been thinking about putting one on both sides of my 2006 Nissan Titan with the 5.6 liter V8 but not sure I want to cram two 1 liter or bigger cans under the hood.

Lce, obviously the catch cans out there are doing something. But your idea is extremely interesting since anything can be improved upon. I wonder what people have accomplished with much larger catch cans, or if there are any unanticipated consequences.

My UPR brand catch can is fairly large but I'm not sure of the capacity. I don't think there would be any room anywhere for anything bigger if you mount it to something like mine is. Different vehicles might have more options than others for mounting.

I doubt that you would need a catch can on both sides of your Tundra. I know that the people that have installed one on both sides of the mustangs, have usually not seen any oil at all in the driver's side can which does not have a PCV valve installed there.

After seeing how much oil my can had in it after only 2,400 miles of driving, I'm a big believer in them, at least on my type of engine. I know that Camaro, GTO, and Challenger owner's also install these. I'm sure others do also that have this type of PCV valve system.

Wayne

There is NOT ANY more room under the hood of a 4th gen LS1 f body to fit anything bigger than the Moroso, or UPR units!!
31.gif

There is barely enough room for these in mine, and I do not even have cruise control!

I am using the Conceptual Polymer HE catch can on my 2013 5.3L in my Silverado. I put it on at around 1200 miles on the engine, I now have just shy of 5000 miles since the install, and the unit has collected about 3 oz of oil out of the PCV line. Was a very simple install. Anyone with any kind of concern for their engine should put a catch can on.

Here is the can I use....

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/High Efficiency Air.htm

I have two on my turbo Hyundai. Here's what I drained out today from the PCV side. About 2500 miles.

CazHsTj.jpg

I just installed a Bob's Oil separator on my 2014 Mustang GT to replace the UPR one I had installed previously. I had read good things about the Bob's separator and I liked the design better than UPR's.

A few weeks ago when I replaced the lines on my UPR I noticed that I had some oil in the output line going back to the intake. The UPR does catch quite a bit of oil but I don't want any going into my intake if I can help it. Supposedly Bob's design doesn't allow that to happen very easily. On the bob's can the intake line goes in at the lower portion of the can and the out put comes out at the top. It also comes with a nice drain valve. Here are some pictures of the install.

Here is my UPR set up.

It is a 5.0 GT specific application. I believe they initially made their kits for the GT500 so it used some 90 and 45 degree fittings versus the straight ones used in my kit. I believe the design of the can is the same in all applications. You can get fancier connectors and lines than what I got but the basic kit was good enough for me.

I will be interested to see how much oil it catches compared to the UPR can I just took off. When I emptied the UPR can today I had 1 1/2 tsp's of oil in it and it had been 554 miles since I emptied the last time.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
As an update, I checked mine today and nothing. Either it isn't working, or nothing is happening.

Since anything with a wet sump generates oil vapors you must have done something wrong or?

The catch can for most cars is another feel good mod, far from 'needed', as almost every single car generates oil vapors and has a PCV setup these days.

Not sure I would class it as a "feel good mod". If it actually is catching the oil from making it's way into the intake, how is that only a feel good mod? Check out this thread from another forum. Scroll down and see some of the photos of intakes. Good idea to read the entire thread as well. The mod might not be needed as you state, especially if one is not planning on keeping the vehicle and trade every few years anyway.

http://www.silveradosierra.com/vortec-5-3l-v8/pcv-catch-can-t92241-20.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back