Primewell Valera- Any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Saturday BITOG community. Its looking like the F150's going to be in need of new tires well before the first of the new year, probably within 2 months or less. I've been getting quotes from local shops and the cheapest by far is the Primewell Valera from Firestone/Tires Plus. At 111.99/tire it works out to $525.92 OTD for a 50k tire (265/70/R17). Mt question is, are these any good? Also, should I opt for an A/T instead since we are approaching winter? Thanks!

Not sure how much snow you get, but if just a few inches, those tires don't look too bad. If more, I myself would opt for more of an aggressive A/T tire.

Never have used a Primewell, but they're probably not too bad being made by Firestone.

Primewells are the cheapest junk tire you can buy. I wouldn't waste $525 on a set.

I just bought a pair of primewells for an emergency tire replacement. Nothing special about them. Typical Chinese made tire. They are black, heavy, and they roll.

I'd get some Coopers on that truck for less money and probably much better quality. Look for them at DT or DTD and install them locally. You can probably get a nice set installed for $400.

I don't know about the Primewell Valera but I did put a set of Primewell PS850's on Mrs. Jimmy's Honda Accord a few months back. I would not call them junk, so far they are doing just fine. Yes, they are made in China (so are a lot of other tires) but the PS850 is a decent tire for the money. I think the set of 4 cost $360.00 OTD. We are not so sure how much longer we will be keeping her car but it needed tires and the PS850's were the best I could find for a lower price. Got about 3K on them now and the ride quality is very comfortable, noise level is OK and they have good traction whether in the rain or on dry roads. They seem to be holding up very well so far.

I liked the PS850's well enough that a couple months ago I went back to the Firestone store asking for a set of Valera's for my Dakota. They had none in stock at the store, and none at the local warehouse so I bought a set of Firestone Destination LE2's. The LE2 is a fantastic tire, they are super quiet, great traction whether the road is wet or dry and they have a super comfortable ride quality. Another nice perk is I gained a couple MPG with the LE2's. I use fuelly.com to track my MPG and it has been up 2 to 2.5 ever since I bought the LE2's. I paid $500.00 for a set of 4, 235/75R15's OTD. They also had a $50.00 gift card rebate so my actual price on the tires was $450.00. My tires are not the same size as what OP needs however he might want to price a set of LE2's, if the rebate is still in effect they may be in the same price range as the Valera's.

That being said, I would not call Primewells junk. Sure you can do better for more money but if the Valera is anything like the PS850, they will probably do just fine, especially when shopping on a budget. We don't get snow here and I don't go off-road so I can't offer any input on A/T tires.

NO WAY

Especially not for $500+

Pep Boys has a huge promotion on tires right now. 10% off when scheduled online, buy 3 get 1 after rebate, AND an additional $50 rebate on the Falken Wildpeak HT or A/T.

Even their Definity tires are usually US-made (by Cooper), and they have the 10% off and buy 3, get one after rebate.

If there's no Pep Boys near you, Walmart has the General Grabber STX and Goodyear Tracker 2 for about the post-rebate prices of the Pep Boys tires.

Also, Tires Plus has the Falken ST/Z-04, which is said to have deep treads, and I wouldn;t be surprised if this did better in winter than the Primewell even though this particular Falken is a "sport truck" tire.

A good HT or even sport truck tire is better than a [censored] A/T in the winter.

You have to really watch the Pep Boys "rebates" and "Buy 3 get 1 Free" deals...When you read the mouse print on the offer you will usually find a lot of disclaimers and it usually requires you to buy their "premium" tire installation which includes extra charges for valve stems, life time rotation and balance and road hazard. All of that may be OK for some folks but by the time you add in the premium package and other requirements, that 4th "free" tire may be right back up to its regular price.....

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Primewells are the cheapest junk tire you can buy. I wouldn't waste $525 on a set.

Please describe, in detail, your bad experience with Primewell tires.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
You have to really watch the Pep Boys "rebates" and "Buy 3 get 1 Free" deals...When you read the mouse print on the offer you will usually find a lot of disclaimers and it usually requires you to buy their "premium" tire installation which includes extra charges for valve stems, life time rotation and balance and road hazard. All of that may be OK for some folks but by the time you add in the premium package and other requirements, that 4th "free" tire may be right back up to its regular price.....
x2. I would not buy tires there ever again. I got royally hosed on 2 sets of tires.

You buy the tires and pay extra for the road hazard. But the road hazard only covers that exact tire. Come back with an unrepairable tire and they will tell you that they no longer carry that tire but they will offer to sell you another brand at full price.

Call that store from the parking lot and act interested in buying a set of the exact same tires you have and they magically have a set now.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: dishdude

Please describe, in detail, your bad experience with Primewell tires.

Sure, although my experience seems to align with the other posts...

Fleet company approved them for use on several vehicles for my company since Firestone is a preferred vendor. Within 10k we had several slipped belts, out of round and unbalanceable tires. The Primewells that made it past 10k were bald by the time they had 25k miles on them.

We collectively decided to never approve a tire replacement without asking what tire was being installed.

IMO, they are total junk. You can find a set of house brand Coopers or Kellys for around the same price and get a much better quality tire.

I do not know about the Valera but I have a set of PS860s on my 1994 C1500 and they have been a good tire. I have never had the tires rotated or balanced since I purchased them and I already have about 4k more miles on them than the treadwear warranty and there is at least another 5k-6k worth of tread left. Not the best tires I have ever owned but for the price I paid for them they have been a very good value.

I'd rather buy a known brand name from Wal-Mart than Primewells. My old job threw them on used cars and they were about as crude of a tire you can get.

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Happy Saturday BITOG community. Its looking like the F150's going to be in need of new tires well before the first of the new year, probably within 2 months or less. I've been getting quotes from local shops and the cheapest by far is the Primewell Valera from Firestone/Tires Plus. At 111.99/tire it works out to $525.92 OTD for a 50k tire (265/70/R17). Mt question is, are these any good? Also, should I opt for an A/T instead since we are approaching winter? Thanks!

friends dont let friends buy primewells.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back