Looking for assistance in cross-referencing a Toyota filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to find a part # for Bosch Premium that cross references Toyota P/N 90915-20004. P/N 90915-20004 fits Lexus V8 engines.

Thanks,
Brian

I don't have the catalog in front of me to look up a stock filter but, if you are open to using a slightly oversize (longer) filter, the Bosch Premium 3422 should be the one. It is the same outside diameter and about 1.25 inches longer than the stock filter. It has the same thread 3/4-16, an anti-drainback valve, 11-17 psi bypass valve, and the same gasket. I run them on my V6 Toyota Tacoma.

quote:

Originally posted by Scooter:
I don't have the catalog in front of me to look up a stock filter but, if you are open to using a slightly oversize (longer) filter, the Bosch Premium 3422 should be the one. It is the same outside diameter and about 1.25 inches longer than the stock filter. It has the same thread 3/4-16, an anti-drainback valve, 11-17 psi bypass valve, and the same gasket. I run them on my V6 Toyota Tacoma.

Thanks. I was looking for an oversize filter for my Supra.

I do have a question. What does the bypass valve do on the filter?
confused.gif
I tried searching without success. Thanks again.

Brian,
The bypass valve is activated when the difference in the pressures between the filter inlet and outlet are too great. For example, for that filter mentioned, if the difference between the inlet side of the oil filter and the outlet side of the oil filter is 11 psid, the bypass begins to open. It's fully open when the differential is 17 psi.

The usual time the bypass valve operates is when the oil is cold and thick. In the unlikely case that the oil filter clogs, the bypass valve will insure that oil gets to the engine.

Ken

I've been using the Bosch oil filter #3330 on my 95 Toyota 4x4 and from what i've read here i should be using the stock OEM Toyota oil filters. So i ordered a few and got them today. These, as well as the Bosch are very small filters. Does this make that much of a difference? Should i run something a little bigger? And if so, what do you guy's suggest? It's a 4cyl. 5 speed. Thanks!

Nobody really has an answer to the filter size question. Sure, smaller filters are cheaper to manufacture and allow for easier placement of other engine compartment components. Do they filter as well as a big filter? We won't know until somebody does some particle counts on oil from an engine with the stock small filter and the same engine with a very similar larger filter.

Ken

Ok, let me ask this. All you Toyota trucker's, what filters are you using?,(brand-#).What oil are you running? Just interested in what Toyota guys are using and why. Thanks!

3 out of 4 people I know with over 400,000 overhaul free miles the 22RE engine like yours used the Toyota OEM oil filter that is recommended in your owners manual (part#08922-02011). These cost only $3.75-3.99 each from discount Toyota dealers.

I also know a '95 Tacoma owner with over 400,000 miles who also used the 08922-02011 oil filter on his 3RZ-FE 4 cylinder engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back