why people hate ford?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only Ford I ever had was a 1990 Taurus I bought brand new off the dealer lot. I got swooped into the hype surrounding the car at the time, with the high sales numbers and auto magazines praising it left and right. It turned out to be the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned (well, a close second to the Chrysler minivan I had which also was highly praised at the time). The Taurus was mainly plagued with electrical gremlins that the dealers could never properly fix. A short time after the warranty expired, the radiator basically blew up and left me stranded on the side of the road. The transmission also went out not long after. I don't care how much Ford says they're "new and improved;" they have permanently left a bad taste in my mouth and lost me as a customer forever.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
And we all know that the Modular family has been one of, if not the longest lasting family of gasoline engines ever produced....
21.gif

^^This was Ford`s biggest mistake,discontinuing those engines. BEST V8 ever made imo. Darnint OVERKILL,you made me put my foot right back in my mouth,grrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

The new 5.0 is part of the Modular family.

Are they they the same or similar to the 4.6?

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
And we all know that the Modular family has been one of, if not the longest lasting family of gasoline engines ever produced....
21.gif

^^This was Ford`s biggest mistake,discontinuing those engines. BEST V8 ever made imo. Darnint OVERKILL,you made me put my foot right back in my mouth,grrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

The new 5.0 is part of the Modular family.

Are they they the same or similar to the 4.6?

Yep, same deck height as a 4.6, interchangeable main/rod bearings, same connecting rod length and bore spacing, the 5.0 has a slightly larger bore and stroke.

I built a 4.6 4V with 2012 Boss 302 connecting rods not too long ago.

21.gif

As somebody else noted, the 5.0L is still a member of the modular family. Slightly larger bore, but, IIRC, the same bore spacing. It is an evolution of the 4.6L.

The 6.2 (BOSS) engine is actually OLDER than the Modular in design, as it is based on the ORIGINAL design for the Modular, which sported a 4" bore like its Windsor predecessors.

Originally Posted By: John_K
Every Ford vehicle I ever owned, or had a friend own, has been a total pile of garbage.

John

To counter your experience, I have been driving Fords for many years and have never had a bad one. Fords aren't perfect, but they have been very good for me.

My dad was a ford guy and he's worked on alot of makes of vehicles when he worked at a service station,so when he chose to stick with Ford,I guess it just stuck with me.That and I was a mustang freak soon as I was reading those magazines
thumbsup2.gif

We've got 3 fords and dont have any complaints.

Evveryone has an opinion on what they like. me being 6ft 6 i rented a taurus limited and went to pick it up. Interior and layout very nice. Car bulky and lousy handling. Worst: terrible design..i felt squished in the drivers seat narrow seat and dash/center console so wide. I thought american cars were made big? Interior was very nice, exterior design, handling and all else..meh..i had to return it and get something else..(driving from albany ny to chicago, than nashville and back..so lots of driving. I got a camry instead..no reason it had more space and was less bulky than the taurus..i personally much preferred the camry but again in comparing just one car its not a good way to judge a car company. My rolla at 171k kms..(115k miles), 0 maintenance so far. Anyone can make a car last 350k miles if they keep paying to fix it. 5 page thread to argue what brand is liked better...whats the point. Buy wat u like and want, dont worry what other ppl say.

The 6.2 (BOSS) engine is actually OLDER than the Modular in design, as it is based on the ORIGINAL design for the Modular, which sported a 4" bore like its Windsor predecessors.

I remember speaking to some Ford powertrain engineers about the Hurricane around 2003 or 2004, which was what eventually became the Boss/6.2 family after the Hurricane development was cancelled in 2005. Mark Fields resurrected the Hurricane/Boss after fuel prices came back down.

I'm pretty sure development on the engine started in the early 2000s. Physically, the 6.2 really does looks like a stretched lengthwise Modular with canted valve heads. Unfortunately, I doubt Ford keeps developing it as they are on the EcoBoost train hardcore.

6.2 heads can hit ~400 cfm with some work and otherwise they respond to cams and bolt-ons great. Lots and lots of potential in that architecture, 4.53" bore spacing and cams in the right spot.
grin.gif

I remember the story from the early 2000's as a shelved design that was from the late 80's/early 90's that was supposed to essentially be a modern version of the old 427 SOHC. But ultimately it was shrunk and modified to fit in an FWD application (Lincoln Continental, 4.6L). When the original design project was resurrected, it was called Hurricane and got developed to a point where it was then suspended again, then renamed "BOSS" when development resumed because they thought "Hurricane" was offensive to Katrina survivors IIRC, LOL!

21.gif

That's how I remember it playing out. 4" bore was pretty much the defacto bore size for Ford back then. The reduced bore that the Modular saw, was, as far as I'm aware, done to make it fit in the Continental. Originally it was a (longer) 4" bore engine.

I work in a small all brands shop that does mostly oil changes, but repairs too, and a chain parts store. Two separate businesses in two separate parts of town.

Foreign cars, including Japanese cars, have just as many problems as American cars. Really, just as many.

It varies by model/owner more than anything else. There are great Fords and terrible Fords. There are great Hondas and terrible Hondas.

Ford does do some pretty retarded things, like the oil filter location on 4WD Expeditions, but so do all of the Japanese brands. Also, people always seem to think GMs are so straight forward...not always.

The easiest cars to service are Hyundais and Kias. They have just as many problems as everything else, but they are super easy to service.

I can say, a lot of cars I work on that are 2-5 years old are mechanically pieces of [censored] compared to my beat up 11 year old Ranger.

From what I understand the Modulars bore spacing was done for 2 reasons, small bore for more complete combustion (reduced emissions) based on what they expected the EPA emission standards to be and so it could fit in the FWD Continental. I believe the Continental was the secondary reason. The emissions story kind of makes sense given the Northstar showed up not long after with similar bore spacing.

A lot of hate from people that owned a Ford back on the 70's to 90's . Yes they had some stinkers but a lot of other domestics during that time had some bad ones too , I know , I was a GM and Ford mechanic back then .

Forget about the past , most of these newer domestics have come a long way .

1979 Mustang Turbo: Junk.

1980 Mustang L 2.3: Boring but pretty reliable. Duraspark box failure, alternator failure

1972 Mustang 250: Very reliable. Slow, heavy, boring, and fuel economy wasn't very good for having such a tiny carburetor

1985 Mustang LX 5.0: Torque boxes had to be rewelded, TFI module failed, water pump, bolt in driver's seat snapped off clean slamming me horizontal at about 45 mph. Yeah, that's it. Pretty reliable. Horrible design. Engine completely ran out of power 500 rpm before it would upshift, but it was still a cool little notch and a reliable one too.

1996 Mustang GT 4.6: Cooling system was complete garbage. Intake manifold, water pump, radiator, heater core, virtually every hose before I could cure all the cooling system problems.
That one was kind of junk. Nothing else really broke, but everytime I smelled coolant in that car, I panicked. Even if it wasn't my car leaking.

Overall, my Fords were pretty reliable. Like I said, I would probably buy another Mustang. But it would have to be a bad one to keep inline with my purchase history.
crackmeup2.gif

Well most of time it's same reasons I won't buy Dodge's or whatever their called these days and Chevy's. Personally and a few family members screwed over by those companies. Now forming a bias on someone says is foolish.. one of my one friends liked to bash different brands but seeing how he drove no wonder. Our Ford's haven't been perfect compared to the Toyota's but it's normally small stuff which is cheap and easy to repair.

Whenever I hear someone talk about their opinion of a vehicle brand, I take it with a grain of salt. There are just way too many variables involved to be able to make the statement brand "x" is better than brand "y".

Here are a few examples:
-dealership experiences vary greatly even among the same brand
-new cars vs. used cars, and previous owner treatment of the car
-owner maintenance
-view of expensive repairs (ex. I've heard people complain about having to replace brakes on "x" model car while never having to replace them on "y" model car)
-length of ownership

lately a good one is:
-model year of vehicle
It's hard to believe a person who says "all Hondas are great" when they've only owned a 1994 dead reliable Civic. Someone with a 2001 Odyssey that is on its 3rd transmission might have a different opinion.

Another example would be Ford trucks. Talk to someone with a 7.3 diesel or 4.6 V8 and they love them. Talk to someone with a 6.0 or 6.4 diesel and its a nightmare.

Only fools are brand loyal. We live in a world where research is the most important aspect of every purchase. The brand who is "on top" today could be a totally different one tomorrow. The important thing is that you are happy with what you drive, and its something that suits your everyday needs.

I don't hate Fords but there are some things I've not liked about them. I've owned a few of their Econolines. The '77 one ton Club Wagon I had was an excellent truck.

I had an 1988 Club Wagon that had an AOD transmission. The shift quadrant went P-R-N-OD-D-L (IIRC). At the time I used to do quite a bit of driving in the mountains. I'd have to gear down for steep grades by shifting into L. The trans would go into 2nd until the van slowed to around 25MPH then it would drop into 1st. And it would stay in 1st and not upshift until you put it back into 3. 3rd was too tall; 2nd would be about right and 1st was too low. Made the van a pain to drive in the hills.

The same van needed a tail light socket (the turn indicators would faintly illuminate when the headlights were on). Ford used to sell a replacement socket with crimp connectors already attached. I went to the dealer to buy one and was told they don't stock it. Weird for something so common. I did get a part number, though. My Dad used to stock them when he owned his own shop.

I go to another dealer and got the same story....don't stock it.

I go to a Ford dealer that specializes in trucks. The guy tells me the socket is $93. [censored]? He goes in the back and brings out this huge box and pulls out part of a wiring harness and a socket attached which is not for an 1157 bulb.

"You need a socket for an 1157?" He goes back and brings out EXACTLY what I was looking for. Ford blue plastic bag with the socket inside. Then he tells me that Ford hasn't used that part since 1986.
confused2.gif

Since this van, I have not owned a Ford since.

^ That's too bad. I mostly have experience with E-Series vans from '92-'03 and those are rock solid. They eat 200K miles for lunch.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
ask your boss how many recalls his Toyota has had. Fords are as dependable as any other brand out there now.

Reliability is only a consideration, and should not be the defining factor in a vehicle purchase. Reliable cars are not automatically good cars, and cars with some issues are not bad cars either. For instance, just because McDonald's food doesn't give you food poison does not make it good food.

Refinement, interior design (subjective), interior quality, brand experience, dealership service, brand philosophy, OE parts availability and scan tool options are all factors that I consider in a potential car - and I encourage y'all to do the same.

I personally never owned a Ford,but everyone I know who has,has had nothing but lemons. Growing up my family only owned GM. Then I come along and have only owned Japanese with the exception of an Oldsmobile,which I LOVED!! GM screwed up big time when they discontinued Olds.

I'm sticking with Japanese for life.

GM did the right thing by shedding all the un-needed brands. I still think GM needs to get rid of GMC as all GMCs are nearly identical Chevrolet twins.

I used to own a 2002 Explorer Sport Trac and it was a decent truck. The thing is, my 2008 Silverado was larger, faster, over 100 more horsepower, but got better gas mileage.

IMO GM vehicles get better fuel economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back