Oil filter bypass pressure question - running filter with lower bypass pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running an over size oil filter on my car. It's a '02 VW with a 1.8T (turbo) engine. I found a Mobil 1 301 that will fit. I have heard of other people using these filters successfully.

From the Wix web site the Wix equivalent of the Mobil 1 301 has a bypass pressure of 8-11 PSI.

The Wix oil filter offered for my car has a bypass pressure of 33 PSI!

Here is the question: Since it looks like Mobil 1 301 has a lower bypass presure, will it be ok to run this filter?

Thanks in advance.

[ February 27, 2003, 12:40 AM: Message edited by: vw_kayaker ]

Is this a Diesel? Reason I ask is there is one for sale in paper last night, all it said was VW Jetta 1.8T 15,995 (must sell)

I think we had this discussion fairly recently. I believe that the result was that bypassing at a lower pressure was not good. I would be very/very leary of going to that low bypass pressure.

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
Is this a Diesel? Reason I ask is there is one for sale in paper last night, all it said was VW Jetta 1.8T 15,995 (must sell)

Nope, it's a gas engine.

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:

I never seen an engine die from extra oil pressure. The opposite is that engines with no oil pressure die quickly. 33+ psi seems mad to me!

That's why I salt the hell outta my food. Don't want my blood pressure falling to dangerously low levels.
shocked.gif

The psi rating of the bypass valve is DIFFERENCE or drop in oil pressure between the inlet side of the filter and the outlet. For what it's worth, 33 psi seems ridiculously high to me. I'd try to find out what bypass differential VW calls for, and if you want to use a different filter, stay within 5 lbs. of that.

I'd bet it is correct. My filter has a bypass of 2.5 bar (36psid).

And no, I wouldn't use a filter with that much lower of a bypass.

33psi bypass? Wonder if it is a fuse for an in-engine bypass?
I don't see anything wrong with the lower bypass pressure.
Either you can have full oil pressure and partially filtered oil(big filter) or lower oil pressure with fully filtered oil(stock). I prefer oil pressure.

I never seen an engine die from extra oil pressure. The opposite is that engines with no oil pressure die quickly. 33+ psi seems mad to me!

After all the effort and technical stuff your oil still gets dirty and your oil filter stays clean. If you want clean oil continuously you must install a submicronic bypass oil filter. That way your oil will stay clean forever. Your filter will get dirty. You change the filter and keep on trucking. A larger filter will help but your oil will still be dirty long before your next recommended oil drain. The only way you can have your cake and eat it too is a full flow filter to remove the large abrasives and a submicronic bypass filter to clean the oil. It's not a new idea. Filters that came on cars before the 1950's were far superior to the newer filters at cleaning oil. Engines were also a lot dirtier. They should have kept the better filters on the newer cars. Some of the filters companies you young guys brag about haven't made a good oil filter in 50 years. It's amazing how marketing works.

Ralph
burnout.gif

What about using a filter with no apparent bypass ? I was looking up the specs on the PH2825 or equivalent filter. From looking at the Baldwin WWW site, which gives details on each filter, this one list no bypass. Why would some vehicles spec a filter with NO bypass? Seems that would cause a complete failure of sometype if the filter got clogged or on very cold starts. Anyone else noted this?

Some engines have a bypass valve built in. Others do not. Also some manf. filter design is more resrictive and the valve is there for a safetly measure should something cause the filter to clog or the engine bypass to fail, in ohter words as fail safe.

So I would think (opinion) that the more costly filters will often have the bypass becuase they have more filter media or filter capacity. Contrary to what some believe that the valve allows dirty oil to enter the system, I would think dirty oil is better than sudden lose of oil because the filter burst from to much pressure, as in a very cold start and thick oil.

[ March 01, 2003, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back