Toyo Extensa HP's. Anyone's opinions on this tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tires (Pirelli P4's 185/65/14) on my daughters Mazda Protege are getting to be 6 1/2 yrs old (Plenty of thread just not many miles driven per yr.) and I'm contemplating changing them out within the next 6 months. Been looking @ tires online and right now the best deal is on Coopers CS4 w/the $60 rebate. Will only get H-rated tires this time as I don't need long lasting tires b/c of the miles driven per yr. The Toyo Extensa HP's really caught my eye for some reason. About $260 delivered, unfortunaly no rebates in the US @ this time. (Plz note: the thread on H-rated 14" tires are different than the larger diameter tires) Your thoughts would be aprreciated. Thanks, Bill.

How much is the pricing on the CS4's? You can always wait till the Black Friday sale at DTD. There should be a $100 rebate on a set of tires then.

Yes, will definately check out DT Direct around that time. Right now the CS4's are $264 minus the $60 rebate. $204. Another good thing about the Cooper rebate it ends after Black Friday. So....may buy sooner. The Cooper's CS4 T-rated tires I have on the wife's Focus are very, very good tires. A little stiffer ride b/c of the 2 side-wall plies and extra thread depth I guess. I want a softer riding tire on the Mazda (but w/exc. handling) b/c the car has a firm suspension. I really considering the Toyo Extensa because of the exc. reviews and I like to try new things.
smile.gif

My dad loved the CS4's on his 07 Camry(T-rated version). When he went to buy the 2012 Camry he wanted to swap the Coopers and put them on the new Camry. But it was a different tire size. After rebate and install he paid $400. That's a great deal on those tires that you mentioned. That would be hard to pass up. Not sure about the Toyo's.

Not really a fan of Toyo and their childish distribution system; at least they are slightly less so with Nitto. (You'll often see a disclaimer "Cannot ship to WA or OR"?)

That alone is enough for me to automatically cross them off the list.

For example, the Toyo Eclipse is ONLY sold in Les Schwab, and they only have stores on the west coast. That means it isn't available ANYWHERE else, even in states that don't have a Schwab. It's not even listed on their US website; however, it is on their Canadian site.

They rely too much on exclusive area [censored] rather than on the merits of their tires.

I've heard excuses like "oh, they're a small company and they need to..." NO, they don't. Kumho is even smaller, has even fewer OEM fitments, and they don't need that garbage to sell their tires. Kumho does just fine selling tires the normal way.

For 185/65-14, consider the General Altimax HP or Falken Ziex ZE-912 or 329. If you get the Altimax HP's, get them at Walmart because they are directional tires, which need to be taken off the rim and rebalanced to rotate, but Walmart does this for free every7500 miles.

Unfortunately Kumho no longer makes the Ecsta LX Platinum in that size (which were V-rated)

I have Toyo Extensa HPs on my wife's Scion tC and have them on my 98 Toyota Camry V6. They are great tires. Handle extremely well in heavy rain. They have good grip in the dry and ride quiet although a bit firmer then the Goodyear all season "comfort" tires they replaced.

I definitely plan on getting another set once these wear out.

I get mine locally from a distribution warehouse for a great price, so it's a no brainer for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back