Auto Extra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard from a friend of mine that the Auto Extra brand oil(Store brand for C.A.P. in my area also carry wix value line as their oil filters) is an ashland product. If that is true, I can assume its the same formulation as the wvb i have been buying at Chinamart. Has anyone done a VOA on this oil? Just wondering because they sound like a good value for their change deals especially if their filters are wix clones.

Why would you assume that? What leads you to believe it is the same, assuming Ashland makes it?

Originally Posted By: Pete491
I heard from a friend of mine that the Auto Extra brand oil(Store brand for C.A.P. in my area also carry wix value line as their oil filters) is an ashland product. If that is true, I can assume its the same formulation as the wvb i have been buying at Chinamart. Has anyone done a VOA on this oil? Just wondering because they sound like a good value for their change deals especially if their filters are wix clones.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Why would you assume that? What leads you to believe it is the same, assuming Ashland makes it?

Guess I didnt word it correctly similiar is what i should've used but i figure they wouldnt take the time to reformulate if they are all gf-5 and dustributed by the same company. I heard that napa also uses ashland oil as store brand and that its repackaged valvoline so maybe thats why i came to that assumption.

Last edited:
I use it all the time. The deals range from about $10 to $12 for 5 quarts and a filter (WIX clone). It's an Ashland SN rated oil with the starburst, so for all practical purposes, it's similar/same as VWB (IMO). I've been using this and ST WPP oils in our Malibu since we've owned it. Clean as a whistle inside.

I heard that napa also uses ashland oil as store brand and that its repackaged valvoline so maybe thats why i came to that assumption.

Yep, NAPA oil is also Ashland, at least in our neck of the woods.

I conclude that if it, and CAP oil, is not "exactly" the same as VWB, it is probably VERY similar and in my book, good enough to not worry about using.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
I heard that napa also uses ashland oil as store brand and that its repackaged valvoline so maybe thats why i came to that assumption.

Yep, NAPA oil is also Ashland, at least in our neck of the woods.

I conclude that if it, and CAP oil, is not "exactly" the same as VWB, it is probably VERY similar and in my book, good enough to not worry about using.

Yeah Thanks for the input. I ran it in a beater car a couple years ago but was wondering why i dont hear much about it at the price its at. I might use it for my winter Oci coming up. Im not brand loyoal just loyal to my wallet but also keep quality in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back