GX470 oil or fluids

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Lexus GX470 (2005) with 50K miles (see my other post on oil) and I do occasionally pull a trailer or go offroad on dirt roads. Anyone have advice on the other oils and grease for my drive train?

Should I change out the diffs or other areas, or grease any areas. I have heard some use much better quality gear oils or grease, but I don't know much about any of those.

The diff will be ok out to 60-75k minimum. I'd do the ATF first. I use AMSoil ATF in my '07 Accord. It's a very nice product and the only AMSoil is actually use. I mentioned MaxLife ATF to you previously and you might hear it on this forum too. I know there is a Toyota spec ATF fluid out there, you might want to either search and read-up on it or wait for someone who can explain it better then I can.

I will be getting my 60K service on my GX470 and part of the service is changing out transfer case oil. Because I bought it used with 30K, I will be changing out all the fluids and running AUTORx in the engine. I do all kinds of driving (freeway, city and occasional fishing roads and trailer towing) and live in the Seattle area. What would be the best product for each of these?

Lube driveshaft?
Front and Rear Diffs?
Transfer Case?
Transmission Fluid?
Best Oil?

I am thinking of the Redline or Amsoil product but please comment with what anyone has experience with or recommends.

I don't know if auto rx would be needed with only 60k on it IMO.
Providing it was fairly well taken care of. If it were mine, i'd probably just use a good quality synthetic which should help clean the motor.

I searched on Amsoil's website for your vehicle and this is what i found out.

Front, rear, and transfer case require a 75/90 gear lube and i would highly recomend Amsoil 75/90 Severe gear synthetic for all 3. It is probably the best you can buy for your diffs.

Your transmission requires Toyota synthetic WS fluid ONLY according to their website, so do not use anything else unless your owner's manual says differently. Amsoil ATF is compatible with Toyota type T-IV, but not WS. They will try to tell you the trans does not need servicing until 100k miles. But if it were mine, i would have them do it anyway. Have them drop the pan, clean it and refill with the proper fluid.
Whatever lube they use for the driveshaft will be fine.

I have had some good experience's with Amsoil ASL 5w30 for the engine with EAO57 filter, and it should hold up great in that motor. The 4.7 has shown some low wear numbers here on bitog, so almost any synthetic would do a fine job. Your rig does suggest using a 30w oil though.

If you're not going to go extended oil drains with this rig, you can use Amsoil's XL line which is priced closely to mobil 1.

Here's a link if it will come up. Note # 2 suggests you use a synthetic base oil for the diffs.

http://www.amsoil.com/scripts/runisa.dll?amsoiloaf:index

Redline and Amsoil are excellent synthetic products and I would use them everywhere.

Driveshaft lube: Avoid Mobil1 here, their synthetic grease has oil separation problems. Just greasing all the zerks with ordinary stuff seems to work well on the Toyota trucks.

I would recommend Amsoil Universal ATF in your automatic transmission, because it is the best fluid I have ever had experience with. Redline might have a better fluid, but I have never used Redline ATF.

Also, your power steering system takes Dexron ATF, so have that flushed out, and Amsoil ATF will work well in there.

Amsoil recommends 75w90 for the front and rear diff and transfer case.

I'd suggest making one call to an Amsoil BITOG sponsor and buy everything from him, that way you will have everything you need in one package.

He MUST use Toyota WS synthetic trans fluid. There are no amsoil atf fluid recomendations (providing of course it is in fact a WS transmission). If he does not have a dipstick, it's WS. But he should first consult his OM to be sure.

That's the first i've heard about mobil 1 grease....What amsoil grease do you recomend for toyota's? And are they worth it?

Ditto on calling Pablo or Gary on this site, so they can hook him up.

Originally Posted By: Spooner
I will be getting my 60K service on my GX470 and part of the service is changing out transfer case oil. Because I bought it used with 30K, I will be changing out all the fluids and running AUTORx in the engine. I do all kinds of driving (freeway, city and occasional fishing roads and trailer towing) and live in the Seattle area. What would be the best product for each of these?

Lube driveshaft?
Front and Rear Diffs?
Transfer Case?
Transmission Fluid?
Best Oil?

I am thinking of the Redline or Amsoil product but please comment with what anyone has experience with or recommends.

Check your owners manual for proper viscosity on the diffs & tcase. If it calls out 80w90 for the rear diff do not use 75w90 as a lot of Toyo diffs will whine on the 75w90. Any GL5 gear oil will do. I always used valvoline synthetic blend but amsoil is good but pricey. DO NOT use amsoil in your trans as it is more expensive than the T-IV or WS you get from the dealer and is NOT speced for your trans. For the engine I would use Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 from Walmart and a toyota filter. I am running my 4th Toyota engine on it flawlessly. My RX330 Went over 150,000 on it and used no oil.

well... I guess I should update.
I now have 115,000 miles and no issues whatsoever on the GX470. Been using the Redline 5w30 at every change and changed out the tranny/diff fluids at about 60K. Seems like the engine is running just fine.

I have towed our 19 foot trailer a couple of times a year so I think I want to change out front and rear diffs again with the Amsoil gear oil here pretty soon. I think I used the 75/90 when I changed them, but may have used the 80w90 ([censored] I need to check my records) And maybe I will also lube the drive shaft, etc.

Any comments or suggestions for my choice to go with the same Amsoil product again? Any thoughts either way on the 75/90 vs the 80w90? Not sure if there has been anything better out there since last time. thanks again for the great advice on this forum.

Bob

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 3Toyotas
He MUST use Toyota WS synthetic trans fluid. There are no amsoil atf fluid recomendations (providing of course it is in fact a WS transmission). If he does not have a dipstick, it's WS. But he should first consult his OM to be sure.

That's the first i've heard about mobil 1 grease....What amsoil grease do you recomend for toyota's? And are they worth it?

Ditto on calling Pablo or Gary on this site, so they can hook him up.

According to Amsoil website, the 2005 Lexus GX470 you can use their Signature series multi-vehicle ATF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back