Which Battery Is Better Auto-Zone Or Advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have "Neverstarts" in three Toyota products. The yellow case type. All are at least four years old. All the cars have good size alternators, in the one I drive an oversize replacement because of some high power two way radio gear. There are only two major battery makers left in the US.

I think you meant "EverStart"......not "Neverstart"...right ? And, it's only the EverStart Maxx that gets good ratings.
The battery may be good, but the warranty sucks big time.

I use to work for a company that made WalMart batteries back in the 80s and then their problem was they didn't rotate their stock. People got a lot of old batteries that had discharge on the shelf.

Now I use Odyssey batteries. They outlast my cars.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
I've never used AutoZone's batteries, but the five Advance Auto batteries I've had my hands on have all worked great.

The AAP Autocraft Silver I installed in my Subaru lasted 5.5 years, which was a year longer than the factory battery lasted. It was perfectly trouble-free right up until it started giving me hints that it was dying. I replaced it with an Autocraft Gold that has been equally trouble-free for over a year

The Autocraft Silver in my wife's Corolla has been perfect for about 4+ years with no signs that it's nearing the end of it's serviceable life.

The Autocraft Golds I recommended and helped install in my sister's minivan (2+ years) and my brother-in-law's SUV (about 1 year) have not given them any trouble, nor should they expect them to.

+1 For the $$ (especially ordering them on line w/ discount code) can't beat them. Have a silver in my Taurus that is six years old that still tests strong. Never had an issue with the three I have purchased from there. Now Wally World, that's a different story.

Regardless of label I have always had the best service from Johnson Controls. Deka are very good. Exide/GNB are the worst garbage ever sealed in plastic.

Originally Posted By: CMMeadAM
According to Consumers Reports November 2011 test of over 60 car batteries you shouldn't just buy just by brand. Performance varies by size and model as indicated by their rather comprehensive tests.

"Many DieHard and Everstart batteries are recommended, for example, but others from those brnds scored no better than midpack in our tecting. Moreover, Bosch, Duralast, Kirkland Signature, and NAPA models also performed well in certain categories."

DieHard models are top rated in four of the six groups Consumers tested. Group 65, 34/78 & 78 Group 75, and Group 48.
In Group 24, the Interstate Mega-Tron Plus MTP-24 was ranked first with Diehard Gold ranked second. Bosch was top rated in Group 35 with the Everstart Maxx 35N ranked second.

They noted that the much improved Diehard ratings resulted from improved specs and a switch of suppliers.

Three performance factors were cited as the most important in choosing a battery: battery life, reserve capacity nd cold cranking amps (CCA).

Also interesting to note is that the Diehard has the best warranty ( 36/100 ) and WalMart's Everstart the worst...just 36 month replacement with NO pro rated coverage.

CR also commented on the fact that all battery prices have risen after staying stable for many years.

Bottom line is...choose the correct size battery for your use, your driving habits and always get the freshest battery possibe by checking the shippng codes on the battery case.

Their overall recommendations:

For cold climates:

Diehard Gold 50678 $110
Kirkland Signature 12866 $75
Interstate Mega-tron Plus MTP-24 $120
Diehard Gold 50624 North $105
Duralast Gold 24-DLG $90
Kirkland Signature 12865 $60
Plus Start 50235 $70
Bosch Premium Power 75-730B $80
Everstart Maxx 75N $80

For Temperate Climates:

NAPA 8465 $85
DieHard Gold 50534 ( South) $110
EverStart Maxx 34S (South) $90
EverStart Maxx 78S (South) $90
DieHard Gold 50523 (South) $105
EverStart Maxx 24S (South) $80
Everstart Maxx 35S (South) $90
DieHard Gold 50535 (South) $110
DieHard Gold 50575 (South) $110

Did they include in their ratings the actual manufacturer and not just the private label such Napa, Duralst etc. That would have been very informative.

No, they did not. Each private label determines the price point they want to retail at, which determines the cost based on their required mark-up and the battery manufacturer specs the product to meet those costs. According the Johnson Controls, those specs vary very significantly.

One of the reasons WalMart's EverStart battery prices are lower than the others is because they no longer have a pro rata warranty beyond 36 months for the customer. Their batteries are good, but ther warranty's no longer are.

Caveat Emptor !!

I always liked sears in the 60s and 70s, buy good -better -or best you had a choice.
with wal mart your choice is "cheap" and built to a price point,

but then its good for them as they can sell you another one soon. what a deal for them

I have an AAP in my lawn tractor. Best lawn tractor battery I have ever had.

Buy from someone who is local to you and nationwide...because you never know when you're battery is going to [censored] out.

Case in point, I bought a Duralast Gold from sears. When my alternator nuked itself, taking the battery with it, there was no Sears in site to carry out the exchange...I ended up snagging a battery from Pep-Boys (only place local with my group size in stock).
Multiple year warranties don't mean zilch if there isn't a store nearby to give you a new battery.

With that said, Autzone has nationwide coverage and is usually easy enough to find. Orielly's is another good one. Walmart, however bad their warranty may be, is at least nationwide and typically located near large urban centers. Another thing to note is that large retail chains can easily order the parts from other stores or their distribution center if they don't have it in stock when you walk in the door. Your average Autozone usually has at least 5 to 10 stores within a 20 mile radius, not to mention a hub store with a large inventory.

I avoid warranty parts from Napa like the plague, because half the stores in my area are local jobber locations (independent owners), and will do their best to avoid taking care of your warranty claim. I've been treated well by Napa corporate stores...but not well enough to erase my previous experiences with jobber locations.

Originally Posted By: pzev
Buy from someone who is local to you and nationwide...because you never know when you're battery is going to [censored] out.

Case in point, I bought a Duralast Gold from sears. When my alternator nuked itself, taking the battery with it, there was no Sears in site to carry out the exchange...I ended up snagging a battery from Pep-Boys (only place local with my group size in stock).
Multiple year warranties don't mean zilch if there isn't a store nearby to give you a new battery.

With that said, Autzone has nationwide coverage and is usually easy enough to find. Orielly's is another good one. Walmart, however bad their warranty may be, is at least nationwide and typically located near large urban centers. Another thing to note is that large retail chains can easily order the parts from other stores or their distribution center if they don't have it in stock when you walk in the door. Your average Autozone usually has at least 5 to 10 stores within a 20 mile radius, not to mention a hub store with a large inventory.

I avoid warranty parts from Napa like the plague, because half the stores in my area are local jobber locations (independent owners), and will do their best to avoid taking care of your warranty claim. I've been treated well by Napa corporate stores...but not well enough to erase my previous experiences with jobber locations.

Duralast Gold is sold by Auto Zone

My mistake, I meant DieHard. There were so many mentions of Duralast in this thread that when I went to type out DieHard, my brain insisted on spelling Duralast. Either way, I bought the battery from Sears, and that much I typed out correctly.

Exactly one year after I moved to midwest, my Duralast Gold battery died. Cold can be hard on batteries, specially if the car is started only on weekends. This was about 1 week after the 3 year warranty expired. The local AutoZone replaced it for free with a brand new one anyways.

Originally Posted By: Zako2
Exactly one year after I moved to midwest, my Duralast Gold battery died. Cold can be hard on batteries, specially if the car is started only on weekends. This was about 1 week after the 3 year warranty expired. The local AutoZone replaced it for free with a brand new one anyways.

My battery in my Honda had a 36month warranty that expired in 2003, so pretty much 10 years of service from it before I retired it before It got to the no start point.. nearly all 10 years were spent in a non heated garage in MN.

Even in the hand book for my Honda the maintenance schedule for replacement of the battery is sooner if you live in the south than it is if you are up north.

After owning my boat for three yrs I htought I would check the battery. I took it out and it was six yrs old and dry, I added some water and it was at full charge. I was not going to chance it so I put in a new one. My point is it was an Auto Zone marine battery. I have to say that is a testament to the product. I replaced it with a Deka battery because I get a great deal on them. The Deka is also a great product.

Got a duralast gold in the CRV for six months now and so far so good. Almost 5 years on my diehard platinum battery in my tacoma. The taco is parked outside.

I have no complaints about the Autozone Duralast Gold battery. I've been using two of them for about 5 years each and they have never failed me; however, I use them in mild weather conditions.

Old thread I know but I just purchased a Everstart Maxx at my local Walmart for the 07 Fusion which had the original Motorcraft battery .

Walmart battery is by Johnson Controls (Mexico) and has a 36 month replacement warranty and a 108 month (9year) pro rated warranty . Battery was $114.89 . They also have a card that comes with the battery and it is good for a service call if your battery fails within the 36 month period . Pays up to $60 for the service call .
Pretty good warranty I would say and JCI has been supplying Walmart since 2011 .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back