Cheapest small truck/SUV diesel swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
TDI's are easy to find and rebuild if the timing belt snapped.

The worst parts is making sure you get the cluster/throttle pedal/ecu/wiring harness.

Getting the immobilizer tuned out is pretty easy.

I would love a Wrangler with PD130 or tuned ALH in it. Perfect offroad buggy.

Some people have been able to put a Bosch mechanical injection pump in place of the electronic one for a an ALH engine. Some call it an M-TDI.

There was a guy in Los Angles that was swapping Cummins engines and Allison transmissions in Ford pickup trucks. He got almost everything he needed from junk yards in the area. I drove one of the converted trucks and looking around you'd think is was a factory done installation. It was very neat and clean and under the hood it looked "right".

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
There was a guy in Los Angles that was swapping Cummins engines and Allison transmissions in Ford pickup trucks. He got almost everything he needed from junk yards in the area. I drove one of the converted trucks and looking around you'd think is was a factory done installation. It was very neat and clean and under the hood it looked "right".

Do you happen to have his contact information?

I'd like to have a chat with someone who's capable of swapping a 12v Cummins and Allison into my old retired M1008 Chevy K30.

He's not in business anymore. He did say that in doing such a swap that the junk yards have everything you need. You just have to take your measuring tape and do a lot of digging. He said to look at a 450 and above Ford for parts. Also look at International Harvester trucks for parts.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
He's not in business anymore. He did say that in doing such a swap that the junk yards have everything you need. You just have to take your measuring tape and do a lot of digging. He said to look at a 450 and above Ford for parts. Also look at International Harvester trucks for parts.

Well, it's an interesting idea anyhow. Perhaps I can find someone in the Northeast who's got the skills to accomplish such a swap.

Originally Posted By: Shaman

From reading on ORE.co.nz, the TD27 seems to be the best swap,

Looks like you are pretty keen on the TD27. I reckon they are the best of the Japanese small diesels - gear drive cam and pump, pushrod cast iron head, nothing to go wrong. They will crack a head if cooked, but I've seen them nip up a piston before they do that. All the other Japanese diesels are belt drive, a recipe for destroyed heads if one breaks. Plus most are alloy heads - cook and crack...or just plain crack when the sun goes behind a cloud. The QD32 is an updated version, but usually with the electronic pump, which will need a computer and accelerator pedal assembly because they are fly by wire. YD25 and ZD30 are the later common rail engines, the TD27 is way more reliable. Used in London Taxis too I think.

Yeah, the london taxis use them as well. It would get water injection and a flush as soon as it got running, so I don't see a reason for the JDM crack as I call it, as it seems most of them crack heads.

my 04 frontier xe broked a camshaft due to oil pump failure, so I'm in the process of swaping a diesel qd32 to it, the nissan qd32 is a 05 and the change will be in the bell housing, the machineshop is cutting the flange and welding a flange from a td27 (td27 and qd32 bolts to the same bellhousing) cost to this job $3000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back