K&N vs. Wix , Which one is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the market for a good quality oil filter. I've been looking at either the K&N or the Wix, which one is better and why?

Funny you should bring this up, as I've been bouncing this around myself. I'm beginning to wonder about the K&N now. I'm getting conflicting info on it from two sources. For example, here is an email I got from K&N:

quote:

Hi Patrick,

Our anti-drain back valves are made of Buna N (Nitrile) 60 Durometer. The
oil filters contain no fiberglass.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,

Lisa Sutton
K&N Technical Support

But earlier in the week I got this email from Champion Labs, who makes the K&N:

quote:

The K & N oil filters contain a cellulose media impregnated with a
percentage of fiberglass and polyester fibers. This media is designed to
be used on race applications, however it meets or exceeds all original
equipment requirements for fit and function for regular applications as
well.

The anti drain-back valve is made of nitrile rubber.

Thank you.

Chad Garrett
Technical Assistance Representative
Champion Laboratories, Inc.

So does it contain fiberglass or not?

But yet the Wix filters contain glass media, plus a better silicone antidrainback. Read this (Wix is the premium filter listed, value is their off brand stuff)

www.geocities.com/gattsls1/wix.html

I was also told from a Dana rep that these filters will not go into bypass mode unless the oil is cold, that's how good they flow.

I'm using the K&N, but they are more expensive and look to be phased out up here too. I think I might just go straight to the Wix filters even without using up my last K&N that I have for each of my cars, this way all my oil testing from now on is with the same filter, for more consistency.

[ February 14, 2003, 05:07 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

I still like the Bosch Premium filters from Champion, but I'm still skeptical of the K@N's because of the 2 times I used them on 2 different vehicles they caused a slight drop in oil pressure which the Bosch did not.

Jason

I'm still not 100% sure, but I think that a drop in oil pressure means that the filter is actually flowing better. I think it also depends on where the oil pressure sensor is located on a particular vehicle though too.

The one thing I notice about the K&N in my Firebird is that when I go full throttle the oil pressure stays rock steady at 40psi or so the entire time. To me I'm assuming that means the filter is not restricting the flow at all.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I'm still not 100% sure, but I think that a drop in oil pressure means that the filter is actually flowing better. I think it also depends on where the oil pressure sensor is located on a particular vehicle though too.

The one thing I notice about the K&N in my Firebird is that when I go full throttle the oil pressure stays rock steady at 40psi or so the entire time. To me I'm assuming that means the filter is not restricting the flow at all.

Isn't the sensor after the filter. I think if you are on a long drain interval, and the oil pressure starts to drop a little as your mileage increases, then your filter is getting clogged.

quote:

Originally posted by pedaltothemetal:
I think if you are on a long drain interval, and the oil pressure starts to drop a little as your mileage increases, then your filter is getting clogged.

Or your Oil Viscosity is coming down.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

My sensor is located on the top backside of the block. The filter is located next to the pan, so the sensor is definitely past the filter. I'm not quite 100% sure either about this, but I just don't see how a better flowing filter would decrease oil pressre. Even whem my Jeep was still sludged up, it did have the same oil pressure alot of the time as it does now with a new pump and much cleaner pickup, screen, and pan, that is, with the Bosch Premium. In fact, this might just be all in my head, but it seems that with this Wix, I have gotten higher pressure than I have before since I've owned the Jeep. Warm cruise, the needle actually is right on the 60psi mark whereas with the Bosch it was around 58psi. I just need to get a Bosch on there to see for sure. This might just give me an excuse to change the oil early
smile.gif

Jason

I didn't have any pressure difference going from Purolator Premium Plus's to the Mobil 1 filters.Both Jeeps,4.0L's 99 XJ and 01 TJ were purchased new,broken in with care,and had synthetic oil(Mobil 1 10W-30) in them after 3000k's with factory fill.Recently installed SuperPlugs,magnetic oil drain plugs,in both and will be doing an oil change tomorrow on the XJ to see if they work.

Patman,

If you cut open a K&N and tear the media, you will see for yourself if it contains glass or not - it will show as fine hairlike fibres at the edge of the tear.

Have you considered a Fleetguard filter with the Stratapore media? Fleetguard is my favorite filter company - if you need technical information, they give it freely.

If you go to their web-site and click on CATALOG, you will then have the option of finding a filter by application lookup or by cross reference. When you find your Fleetguard filter,
click on it and an information sheet will open showing you filter dimensions etc. If an "upgrade" version of the filter is available, it will be listed at the bottom of this sheet. Upgrades are available for many common filters and are quite often Stratapore. If you phone them they will give you information on the media type, micron ratings etc. 1-800-22-FILTER

Patman, You should be able to buy Fleetguard at any Cummins dealer in your area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back