Blizzak WS70 Replaced by Blizzak VRX ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.shinservice.ru/catalog/bridgestone/winter/Blizzak+VRX/

"..........Bridgestone Blizzak VRX - new [asymmetric] studless winter tire season 2013-2014. These tires are made in Bridgestone's leading technology companies and will suit advanced drivers with more experience driving in winter conditions. "Bridgestone Blizzak VRX is excellent grip on snow and ice. Multicell Compound technology provides excellent braking on ice, the removal of water from the contact patch and a positive effect on the frictional properties of the tire.

Tread tires Bridgestone Blizzak VRX provides low rolling resistance, which has a positive effect on fuel consumption.

Arrow-shape of the tread blocks prevents deformation of the tread on the move. Multicelll Compound rubber compound used in the manufacture of tires, maintain high performance throughout the life of the tire..............."

The VRX appears to be a S speed rated ice and snow tire, for the Russian (and Scandinavian?) market. Will it make it to the North American market next year ??

More info can be found at this Russian site:
http://www.zr.ru/content/articles/532284-zimnije_shiny_bridgestone_novyje_imena_i_novyje_tehnologii/

The multicell thing sounds interesting -- it means they caught up with the X-Ice and other competitors' tires that retain good snow grip all the way until the time they're worn out.

More info at Bridgestone's russian website:

http://www.bridgestone.ru/tyres/zimnie_shinyi/blizzak/BLIZZAK_VRX/

"........The longer you use the tire, the greater the deterioration of its performance, and the harder the tire becomes. As the tread wears, the new composition of Multi-Cell Compound creates new micropores, maintaining a soft rubber compound and ensuring effective braking for a long time. We are proud to announce that the tires BLIZZAK VRX remain effective for 3-4 seasons........."

About time they came out with a tire that stayed effective throughout its lifespan. I swore off Blizzaks with the earlier version good for only a little bit after experiencing first-hand how horrible they were without that compound. Needless to say, these will need to be nothing short of amazing to ever earn my business again.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
About time they came out with a tire that stayed effective throughout its lifespan. I swore off Blizzaks with the earlier version good for only a little bit after experiencing first-hand how horrible they were without that compound. Needless to say, these will need to be nothing short of amazing to ever earn my business again.

I largely agree. The WS70 was clearly falling behind the competition in recent years.

Originally Posted By: dparm

I largely agree. The WS70 was clearly falling behind the competition in recent years.

huh? THe WS70 was introduced last year.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

WS70 is much older than that.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

WS70 is much older than that.

I may be off by a year. It doesn't qualify as "much older"

A much older Blizzak is the LM-60. That tire has been around since the WS-60 days (same tread pattern, different compound for the higher speed ratings) and since the introduction of the WS-70, has yet to be replaced.

Saw this the other day and asked Bridgestone about it. Here's what I got back.

"...the Blizzak VRX is not intended for the North American market, nor is it planned on being merchandised here. It is designed specifically for the types of conditions commonly seen in Russia and Russian regions."

Originally Posted By: AboutTires
Saw this the other day and asked Bridgestone about it. Here's what I got back.

"...the Blizzak VRX is not intended for the North American market, nor is it planned on being merchandised here. It is designed specifically for the types of conditions commonly seen in Russia and Russian regions."

Interesting. Is the ice and snow different in Russia than north America? Winters are probably lengthier and colder there than in north America.

I wonder why Continental does not bring their best performance winters, the TS830 and TS850, to north America ? Seems those tires would work very well in the winters here. Winter tire marketing can be mysterious.
confused2.gif

+1

why cant I find a yokohama ig30?
a dunlop 4d
the contis you mentioned.

Although I think their best winter tire is the EWC
the performance snow tires you mentioned are excellent.

finding nokians is like pulling teeth.

etc

I don't think I'll ever understand how tire companies think, especially the Europeans and their winter tires. It really is like they think they have different snow. (Russian snow is made of vodka, of course.)

Although there may also be tariff and shipping issues. Who knows?

My next Q into Bridgestone is whether a WS70 replacement is actually in the works or if they're standing pat with a tech-challenged winter tire. Stay tuned!
smile.gif

I dont think its tech challenged.

The pattern works its very close to optimal.
If anything the next evolution will maintain similar winter traction but better mpg and dry/wet handling.
have a multicell compound on half the tread and regular winter on the other half is a moot point since snowtires are pretty much trash in the winter below 5/32 anyway.

Originally Posted By: AboutTires
...........My next Q into Bridgestone is whether a WS70 replacement is actually in the works ...........

The timing seems right. The WS70 was first available in the winter of 2010/2011, and since winter tires from the major players seem to be on a 4 year product cycle, maybe we will see a WS80 for 2014/2015. It is also about time for Continental to update the ExtremeWinterContact.

Originally Posted By: krzyss
................It seems that only Michelin and Goodyear bring recent winter stuff to the USA.............................Krzys

Pirelli also seems to bring their newest performance winters to the US.

I've driven the Hakka R, Xi3 and the WS70 heads-up against each other at 4/32. Trust me, the WS70 was no longer in the same league. That's what I mean by tech-challenged, and why I want to hear about the next gen. WS70 is a good snow tire, but until TMC makes up 100% of tread it's not a great one. IMO, of course.

Originally Posted By: krzyss
I just bought 4D from tirerack.
Goodyear is also bringing Ultra Grip 8 Performance.

http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/ultra-grip-8-performance

It seems that only Michelin and Goodyear bring recent winter stuff to the USA.
Nokian is one season off.

Krzys

For the last 2-3 years, Goodyear seems to have invested in winter tire R&D, and they are putting out some strong winter tires, especially for the Scandinavian and European markets.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Interesting. Is the ice and snow different in Russia than north America? Winters are probably lengthier and colder there than in north America......

I just did a quick check and the average low in Moscow for October is below freezing - while Minneapolis is low 40's, high 30's.

So, yeah, I think there is a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back