99 ranger oil tsb

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 99 ford ranger with a 3.0 flex fuel. when my truck was made it had a sticker for 5w30. i guess in august they changed it over to 5w20, but i never got the memo. as far as i know, it's had 5w30 run its entire life, conventional. now i hear a shuffle or chatter at idle and it's been there since i have had the truck. will switching over to 5w20 motorcraft synthetic blend and motorcraft filter risk leaks and/or failure? (gaskets and whatnot) i've run valvoline synthetic blend since i've owned the truck (2009).

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
I don't think they had flex fuel in 99. Id stay with the 5w30 at this point. It's not hurting anything.
it is a flex, thats the only 3.0 they offered in the 99.

Originally Posted By: JR
Run the 20 i have in 1.9 to 5.0's never a single oil problem.

Ken

I wont run 30 again.
I like qsud 0w-20.

so the 20 wont seep will it? or swell my seals?

Originally Posted By: rangerstepside
i have a 99 ford ranger with a 3.0 flex fuel. when my truck was made it had a sticker for 5w30. i guess in august they changed it over to 5w20, but i never got the memo. as far as i know, it's had 5w30 run its entire life, conventional. now i hear a shuffle or chatter at idle and it's been there since i have had the truck. will switching over to 5w20 motorcraft synthetic blend and motorcraft filter risk leaks and/or failure? (gaskets and whatnot) i've run valvoline synthetic blend since i've owned the truck (2009).

I'd stick with 5W30, changing oil isn't going to help with the chatter, and the thinner 5W20 might possibly leak. I briefly changed over to 5W20 in a back spec'd Ford I had which was using 5W30 for over 150K miles. I had no problems with the thinner oil, however it did leak worse with the 5W20.

Originally Posted By: rangerstepside
so the 20 wont seep will it? or swell my seals?

The seals will be fine.

Switching to a 20 wt in my Mercury gave a slight increase in oil consumption but nothing else. For these older motors, I would stick with a 30 wt.

I would stick with the 30wt also. Why change now? Im running 10w30 in my 4.0 with the seal swelling Pennzoil HM. Truck seems to run real well and it quit seeping too.

Yes you are correct, your engine did originally spec 5w-30 oil however, there was a TSB for switching over to 5w-20. You should have no problems with 5w-20.

Some of the older Vulcans will light their oil pressure light on 20 grade oil; they were not designed for it.

It's my understanding that around 00/01 they did get upgrades to use 20 grade oil.

@347K my 89. 2.9fuelie blowed a head gasket. New gasket and ran to 385k it was ran on 5w20 only after the 175k mark. that's 210k and failed from hair line crack in head. truck last i known was still on the road.

ken

i had a 99 ounce the 3.0 is a ffv e85 motor. i ran it for a few tanks. not enough to see any pro or cons from e85.

I'musing M1 HM 5w30 in my 99 Vulcan in my Taurus, I plan on trying M1 HM 5w20 next oci since it's on the upper end of the viscosity range I am hoping to see some better fuel mileage, right now I average 14-15 mpg even with it tuned up and no codes.

I tried 5w20 in my 3.0...it didn't really like it too much. it chattered more than usual. I run M1 HM 5w30 and it runs well...same price as M1 5w20 at walmart.

The vulcans were backspec'd years ago to 5w20 as not much has really changed. The 4.0 engine cannot go to 5w20 due to oil pressure issues, but the 3.0 can do it if you wanted.

I've never tried 5w20 in my Vulcan but I want to, and using M1 HM is a baby stepin my eyes ssince it's a thick 20.

I don't know when I'm going to change it though. I have only 7k miles and barely over a year on this fill, plus all the top offs and I replaced the filter recently so I could take the filter mag off and that was another half quart of fresh oil in it.... Probably will just change it in the spring, should have 9k-10k on it by then.

If it were me, i would stay with 5w30 and sleep well.

There are some ford forums that have many threads about the bac spec and why, most list gas mileage and timing chain as reasons.

I have a 94 ford ranger with the 2.3L and over 200k miles and it runs fine with 5w30,

Ford chatter is common, if its really loud, have a mechanic you trust listen and see what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back