Mobil1 AFE 0w-20---17,000 miles---07 Fit Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
My BIL says he didn't change it between the previous UOA, so here goes...

LINK TO PREVIOUS UOA:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...403#Post2724403

LINK TO IMAGE:

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/9066/1y57.png

Code:
OIL MOBIL1 AFE 0w-20

MILES IN USE 17,000

MILES ON UNIT 190,609

SAMPLE TAKEN 08/04/13

Make Up Oil Added 2/3s qt

ALUMINUM 4

CHROMIUM 1

IRON 21

COPPER 1

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 69

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 1

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 5

BORON 38

SILICON 13

SODIUM 9

CALCIUM 1072

MAGNESIUM 720

PHOSPHORUS 586

ZINC 679

BARIUM 0

SUS VIS 210ºF 51.7

cSt @ 100ºC 7.78

FLASHPOINT ºF 400

FUEL%
ANTIFREEZE% 0.0

WATER% 0.0

INSOLUBLES% 0.3

TBN 2.1

1y57.png

Other that the usual M1 iron level it looks great for 17k! Was that highway mileage? The tbn really held up so i wonder if its mostly highway with fewer cold starts.

IIRC, he used a Mobil1 oil filter and yes this included at least 5k miles from trips. It was a year interval. This is an oil that 'can' go 1 year or by miles, but definitely since the vehicle isn't in an environment with many cold starts at all.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Other that the usual M1 iron level it looks great for 17k! Was that highway mileage? The tbn really held up so i wonder if its mostly highway with fewer cold starts.

Not sure i agree with this. This is not the usual M1 iron issue. For 17K miles the iron is great and i dont think you could ask for anything more from anything you put in there.

Same TBN with 10k or 17k miles. This is when having TAN and Oxidation is needed to know what's happening with the oil.

Excellent results.

Remember this?

Quote:
As for TBN retention, it is only a single parameter that provides an indication of the used oil condition. A reduction in TBN is an indication that the overbased detergent is doing its job by neutralizing acids that form as a result of combustion. TBN should be used in combination with other used oil parameters such as oxidation, nitration, TAN (Total Acid Number), ICP metals, D4684 MRV viscosity, and D445 kinematic viscosity to determine the overall condition of the used oil.

Finally, in our experience in severe-service Las Vegas field testing, Mobil 1 engine oil TBN levels typically do not drop below 2 for vehicles with 15,000 mile oil drain intervals. Furthermore, it is our experience that those oils tend not to drop any lower when we continue to 20,000 mile oil drains.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Same TBN with 10k or 17k miles. This is when having TAN and Oxidation is needed to know what's happening with the oil.

2/3rd quart of make up oil was added during the 17k run. ZERO was added during the 10k run. That explains the high TBN on the 17k run.

Read all the data before making assumptions.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro

2/3rd quart of make up oil was added during the 17k run. ZERO was added during the 10k run. That explains the high TBN on the 17k run.

Read all the data before making assumptions.

Or asking questions....
blush.gif

2/3s of a Quart near the end of the interval might raise the TBN reading by as much as 1 TBN? I don't know the math and don't have the VOA of SN AFE off-hand.

As was stated, however, this vehicle has super-easy service seen. It could probably go 10k on dino easily.

PS: Yes, the vehicle has an OLM. The owner resets it and keeps going.

I'd be happy if any engine of mine with 190K only needed 2/3 Qt of added oil in 17K. No need to nitpick here. Great UOA from a well engineered engine and a really good OTC oil. The iron is cumulative most likely, and who know when the 2/3 qt was added. I can only hope my 1 year OCI of AFE in November, with about 6000-7000 miles is as good. Mine will have hundreds of 3.5 miles short trips on it.

I remember when he first started extending the OCI. He swapped to Amsoil's 0w-20 pre-SSO label(back when only 0w-30 was SSO line)...10k miles and there was no oil consumption. 0_0

Surprising somewhat, considering most 4-cylinder Honda engines always seem to burn something, and he has a manual transmission so go figure.

Great showing from one of Mobil's better products no doubt. I will try one of their AFE or EP products in our KIA someday.

Nice engine.

Great showing for the lube.

Oil probably changed way too early; could have likely gone much further, but would need TBN/TAN to make a more informed decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back