Marvel Mystery Oil vs. 3 in 1 oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Couldn't find better place on the forum to ask this, so here it is: For general lube use, where you would use 3 in 1 oil, how does MMO compare? For instance, two general examples: oiling pump up on Coleman lantern and stoves; or lubing door hinges.

I don't think MMO lubricates very well at all. I recall reading a diesel fuel additive lubricity study where it performed worse than adding nothing at all. 3 in 1 is fine for what you mentioned. I have a bottle of Schaeffer's Penetro 90 that's worked the best out of things I've tried, although it's a lighter oil than 3 in 1.

MMO smells better than 3 in 1. 3 in 1, is a jack knife kinda deal. It does a lot of things,none well. Candle wax would be a better hinge lube.

Last edited:
I would consider MMO more of a cleaner than a lube.However,their air tool oil must be formulated differently.

MMO has too much solvent in it to be a good lube. Think of MMO as a cleaner with some lube qualities to it. Believe it or not, 3 in 1 oil has gone through several formulation changes over the years and contains a decent additive pack. It is a good lube for most people and smells nice, very inexpensive too.

Don't think I would use either MMO or 3 in 1. We use our own concoction of Mineral Oil (if you want additives, use Dexron III or Tractor Hydorstatic oil of choice and sometimes it is just cheaper or easier to find these) and K-1 Kero. We add about a pound of anhydrous lanolin to a gallon of the mix which bumps up the viscosity some and ups the leveling properties. There are no real solvents in there, so this is just an oil, there may be some surfactants in the ATF.

Art

Strangely, I've had good luck lubricating electric motor bushings with 3 in 1. Seems to hold up well without gumming up. M1 also works well.

MMO has never worked well for electric motor bushings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back