Looking at a Remington 783

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, Ive been looking for my first hunting rifle lately.

Ive been looking in the $400 price range (without scope)

The stores website only has it in 30-06, but they might be able to order in other calibers.

So now im asking does anybody have any personal experience with this gun, and are their any other recommendations?

My brother has a Savage model 111 7mm rem mag, and im not too fond of the bolt or the magazine and the Remington at first glance remedies that, I still need to go into the store to do a in hand comparison first though.

*** Whats a recoil comparison between 7mm and 30-06?

A 7 mm has a real kick. I weigh 185 pounds and a friend made a video of me shooting off of a wooden shooting bench at our gun club. The recoil slides me back over a foot on the smooth wooden seat. Since I don' shoot a .30-06, I can't compare but my guess is the 7 mm has much more recoil.

.30-06 used to be laughed at up in Quebec.

Everyone had a .22, a 12 gauge, and a .30-06.

Our deer up here are very small, and a .30-06 is an extremely powerful battlefield cartridge.

It can easily take any animal in North America.

If that is what you are looking for, you absolutely can't go wrong.

Just pick your loads carefully for hunting smaller game, you will be disappointed in it's destructive nature.

For example, in Quebec, for shots under 150 yards, the distance most deer are taken is under 100 yards, you need a 30-30 level of power.

But if you only need one gun, just be aware that a .30-06 is the most widely available hunting cartridge for large game.

If you bump into an avid deer hunter, they look at a cartridge with a shorter throw of the action and a lighter gun, with an accurate cartridge.

Another good, across the board, can find cheap ammo anywhere with guns to chamber it, is my favorite, the .308.

I wouldn't touch 7mm remington. The ammo may be pricey and tough to get in some areas, but it is still considered a classic standard.

So, .30-06 if you need a cannon, and .308 if you are a slightly more discerning hunter. But .308 will be tolerated by others who hunt smaller deer with you.

They may laugh at you if you show up to hunt with .30-06, it is overkill. Make them aware that you pick your loads carefully and you only wanted one gun.

But, make no mistake, .30-06 is accurate, capable, and will never disappoint you. You won't ever outgrow it's capabilities. Ever.

But, you want to leave some meat on your plate too, so a .308 may be slightly more adaptable.

Consider Thompson Center. They guarantee 1 MOA accuracy. A variety of offered calibers and probably obtained for about $450-500. Slightly over your anticipated budget but compare the guns yourself and see what you think.

308, 30-06 7mm, 25-06, 270, 280 are great mule deer rounds. For those little deer, a .243 would be great. BLR browning would be super douper..lever actions rock...

If you need to be at the lower price point, Savage, Marlin, Ruger, and T/C make good budget rifles. If you're dead set on a Remington, I would recommend you save up a little more for a 700 intead of considering the 783. Honestly if I needed another bolt gun right now, I'd look at T/C first.

7mm Rem Mag does have significantly more recoil than 30-06. But if you plan to stick to whitetail or mule deer, 30-06 will serve you nicely without breaking the bank. The only reason you'd really need to move up from there is if you plan to move up to larger game like elk.

I agree with all those who point to the 30-06 versatility and availability. 30-06 is good up to and including Elk...I would stretch the $$ and buy the best quality rifle you can...it's the only hunting rifle you'll ever need, so don't skimp.

The big advantage of the 7mm Magnum is the flatter trajectory over longer ranges. So, 7mm tends to be popular out west for longer range shots. It's available out there, but still nowhere near the popularity of the 30-06.

Another vote on not getting a 7mm mag. Unless you plan on making very long shots, and you shouldn't unless you know what you're doing, it brings nothing to the table over the .30-06. If you want a 7mm get the .280 Rem(basically a .30-06 necked down to 7mm) or the 7mm-08(basically a .308 necked down to 7mm). Although those aren't available in the model you're looking at. There are other manufactures to look at.

If you can find one I am a huge fan of the Remington 700 ADL. You get the model 700 action but at a cheaper price because of the matte finish of the action and barrel and also the synthetic stock. Last I remember they were selling for a little over 450 IF you can find one.
For calibers I would recommend 243, 270, 7mm-08, 30-06 or 308. They all have their slight advantages but all are readily available in my area and are more than capable of clean kills on a deer. If you're looking to elk hunt also I would lean towards the 30-06.

so just a little update, I went into the store and looked at a savage 111, ruger american, and the remington 783 (all in 30-06) and the remington felt better to me than the ruger (savage felt kinda cheap) the remington is slightly heavier but it wasnt much. So im gonna get the remington 783.

Now any reccomendations for a good scope? in the $200-250 range

Whimis,

Of the 3 you listed I'd go with the Remington.

I don't have major confidence in Savage yet, but as I mentioned in other posts I was planning on checking them out more.

Just remember that the Ruger has an Investment Cast receiver.

I prefer the solid steel machining Remington likes to use.

I have an investment casted receiver on my Ruger Mini-30, and I don't think it does anything for the gun except make it cheaper for Ruger to produce.

I have two Ruger 10/22s, and the receivers are Aluminum and investment casted too I believe... Well, Aluminum is very stiff and casted it seems to give a strange vibration when you are shooting it that seems to wipe out scope reticles.

JMHO.

When I was looking for a scope I was looking in the under $200 range but the 3 I was interested in were Nikon Prostaff, Luepold Rifleman and Redfield Revolution. I ended up purchasing the Redfield and am pleased with it. They were all good and clear. At the time the Redfield and Nikon were $150 and the Luepold was $200. I chose the Redfield because it was made by Luepold in the USA for a good price.

It is a good idea to not skimp on optics.

But I sometimes try to get away with a Bushnell Trophy.

Glad I did on my Mini Thirty. That thing beats scopes senseless with it's rat-a-tat and pinggyy investment cast receiver.

If you buy a nice scope, always pick up a fresh tube of clear silicone to put a bit on the upper and lower ring half.

Then you carefully put the scope in the rings and tighten a bit, then square up the crosshairs to your shoulder hold, then snug firmly. Allow the silicone to dry and don't loosen screws and try to move it around later, you are supposed to leave it alone.

And the silicone such as GE silicone peels off easily when you do take it apart.

This keeps the scope from moving forwards and leaving long scratch marks along the body tube.

I don't know about other people, but nothing bothers me more than a scope that has long scratches on it.

What was the old rule of thumb about a scope? The price should be about half that of the rifle you are mounting it on?

Last edited:
Whimis,

I'd heavily research a scope and take your time...

I'd even try to find a Williams peep sight in the mean time.

Sometimes you want to take a gun hiking in the future, and trust me, a scope makes the firearm twice the size. Just keep the peep sight in a drawer in your shop and swap it on when you want a light and handy gun.

Also, with a scope on the gun, you tend to baby the gun more.

Personally, I prefer a firearm with peep sights over a scope.

If you aren't trying to drive tacks, a peep sight is really accurate.

I am looking at getting a Marlin 792 .22 as I have fallen out of love with my Ruger 10/22. This is based off of advice from people on this site.

I never plan on putting a scope on the Marlin, I plan on getting it in Stainless and I am just going to drag it everywhere or take it apart and stuff it into a backpack.

Scopes just take the fun out of the outdoors. Makes the gun big and delicate.

Buy a scope from one of the old players.

I think Vortex is Made in China. Saw a pick of a sneaky clear sticker with black lettering on it.

The bare minimum scope, in my opinion, is Bushnell.

Never touch Tasco. Ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back