Majicjack charges for 911 services.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received an e-mail from MJ about 911 service charges. Has anyone seen anything like this?

=================================================================
This is a bill.

Certain emergency communications districts have required that we attempt to bill you via email the charges they impose for your being able to dial 911 services. If you wish to continue to be able to dial 911, it is important that you pay this charge. If you have access to 911 services but do not pay this government-imposed charge, the emergency communications district in your jurisdiction may seek to collect any amounts from you directly.

MagicJack does not profit at all for this service and the funds we collect are turned over to the government authority pursuant to their requirements.

Please click here to find out the specific charges in your area and you will be directed on how to pay for them.

======================================================

This is the link referenced in the text..

http://my.magicjack.com/land-Bill911.html

Figure out the 7-digit emergency number ahead of time, post it next to your phone, and use that, then.

Or get an old cell phone and use its 911 feature.

If MJ presold years of service then some new tax or fee comes out, that's on them.

IIRC, my landline has a 911 fee that I have to pay to keep up 911.

So not trying to attack you but for conversation, let's just play the logic of you vs me...

Why shouldnt you have the same burden for the service?

I dont see it fair to me that you can dial 911 and not pay for the maintenance of the service. You and I are just as likely to need to dial 911 for an emergency (maybe youre more likely because youre oldmoparguy?
wink.gif
).

If you dial the local dispatch, thats like any other phone number and nobody can have any issue with that.

If you choose to "opt out" I dont have an issue with that, so long as you can't use the service.

Seems reasonable to me.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not complaining, I'm just trying to verify that this is a legitimate email from MJ. It's been several years since I had a landline and I don't remember if there was a 911 charge. Anyway, thanks for the response guys.

Wayne

I dont blame you. Spear phishing (seemingly correct and targeted emails) are increasingly being used. Good on you to be smart about asking.

dunno but in my mind emergency calls should be provided free of charge to everyone... imagine someone not calling 911 because they can't afford it. they'd rather die?

Originally Posted By: crinkles
dunno but in my mind emergency calls should be provided free of charge to everyone... imagine someone not calling 911 because they can't afford it. they'd rather die?

If that were the case, then let it be part of property taxes for infrastructure. For some to have to pay the burden of the systems and others not to just because of the phone service theyve selected seems not quite right to me...

But OP was doing due dilligence to ensure that it wasnt a scam, and that was the initial intent. Sounds like it is real, and that magicjack users have the option to use and pay or not use and not pay. Makes sense to me.

Was curious about this. A couple weeks before the bill arrived I received a email that a bill was coming. When the bill arrived and wanted access to my account I purposely entered a incorrect password to see if it was really Majicjack sending the email. When I opened up the bill it was for $0.00. I guess my locality was not requesting any funds be paid.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back