Goals for myself, and a plan. Let's discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK! Well, time to start the overdue "Goals" thread i said I would make (separately.) Let's take inventory, to start:

1. The job is saved. Truck started. Hallelujah. I thought I was gonna have to scrap it and get that Regal.. Well, the truck has the amount of a decent used car in it (read; perfect used car) in it, so, am married to it. Is a keeper. Goal there: Make it RUN RIGHT. Get it what it needs. Will be vehicle for awhile. Fully registered/insured. So.. No new adventures in car for me. Taurus and Volvo 2 are dead.
Goal: Volvo 3, re-assess Blazer. I want two cars. Then, when really successful: Keep flipping the 3rd, and/or Volvo.

2. SSI: ??????? - Next appointment is November 4th, and i still make UNDER the Substantial Gainful Employment amount. And I will again qualify, legally, for Earned Income Credit this year. Again. Under amount.

3. Cash: I have $300 cash. Have not spent on anything. I want to make it grow. Unsure when first paycheck will come.

Let's discuss!

*This thread was suggested by JHZR2 and I oblige.

I agree with the idea to have two cars available. If commuting via public transportation won't work for you (going "against the flow" of a traditional commute, I can understand). The second car will be a lifesaver if the Blazer suddenly doesn't start for some reason. I'd pick up that Regal over almost any Volvo unless the Volvo is a real peach.

Are you currently receiving SSI/Disability or going through the process of getting it? If receiving it, how much per month are you receiving if you don't mind me asking? Or you can PM me on that. Do you have an attorney working on your case?

This whole car situation is a mess. Focus on ONE car at a time(if that). Does it work and run? If so drive it and don't keep messing with it all the time.

I don't know what your situation is (you remind me of another poster who had problems with an Audi or some other car).

If you don't want to be worrying about cars all the time and whether it will start, ditch the Blazer like yesterday and get a Corolla, Civic etc. And if you're broke, why do you want a second car???

1 car that is reliable, so you can start putting focus and effort into real goals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Are you currently receiving SSI/Disability or going through the process of getting it? If receiving it, how much per month are you receiving if you don't mind me asking? Or you can PM me on that. Do you have an attorney working on your case?

This whole car situation is a mess. Focus on ONE car at a time(if that). Does it work and run? If so drive it and don't keep messing with it all the time.

Yes, one car.

As to SSI, I am going through the process of.

I honestly do not even know what will happen on November 4th. Is layer appointment?? ...

I also will focus here as best I can. Focus can sometimes be hard for me.

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
Every car you own is a money pit .

I think keeping it to the one is best since I believe you to be correct.

Volvo #3 (next car?) will be less of one!

For starters: can you make it to work, using public transit or friends or family? What about bumming rides with coworkers? I'm presuming biking and walking are out?

Reason being, automobiles are very expensive. I had a hard time letting go while in college, but it was the best then I did.

Secondly, I'd wait on getting the second car. I understand, it's the backup vehicle and all. But honestly, it costs money to get something good. Hope and pray that the Blazer does good enough for now; and save like mad.

Thirdly, do you have a checking account? Savings account? I'd start putting money aside that isn't going towards a vehicle purchase. The act of saving money for the sake of saving money is act that few do (myself included). Ideally you should have, some day, something like six months cash on hand for emergencies. Need to fly for a death in the family? Need a transmission? Nice when it's covered without thinking about it. Once you hit that level, then move on to saving up for the next vehicle, or retirement, or a slew of other things.

What are your long term goals? College, house, career?

Last edited:
Eventually, get into a simpler vehicle.
Then find a good mechanic near your work that you can drop the car off at before work.
I've commuted to my current job for 6 years, most of it in the Neon, and not once did I need to get a ride to work. If I had an issue come up on the way in, I could drop the car off and they seemed to always be able to fit it in that day.
Also look into an AAA membership and their free towing. It can be handy at times even as just a free ride for you to get to work when your car is busted.

3. Get Mel Kiper's college football picks and place a bet at Bovada.com using his advice. Make that $300 grow!
27.gif

Originally Posted By: supton
For starters: can you make it to work, using public transit or friends or family? What about bumming rides with coworkers? I'm presuming biking and walking are out?

It is a half hour highway drive on a day with no traffic.

Quote:

Reason being, automobiles are very expensive. I had a hard time letting go while in college, but it was the best then I did.

They sure are! I wish I had a Honda sometimes.

Quote:

Secondly, I'd wait on getting the second car. I understand, it's the backup vehicle and all. But honestly, it costs money to get something good. Hope and pray that the Blazer does good enough for now; and save like mad.

Yes. Blazer is car by default! I wonder if that starter will work good for me now that I banged on it? Weird as to how it just didnt start at all...

Quote:
Thirdly, do you have a checking account? Savings account? I'd start putting money aside that isn't going towards a vehicle purchase. The act of saving money for the sake of saving money is act that few do (myself included). Ideally you should have, some day, something like six months cash on hand for emergencies. Need to fly for a death in the family? Need a transmission? Nice when it's covered without thinking about it. Once you hit that level, then move on to saving up for the next vehicle, or retirement, or a slew of other things.

I have checking and savings. need to fill them back up! Also, I am in two credit unions. I have credit; it is maxed out right now.

Quote:

I am trying to keep sane. This job givses me rhythm and income. Unsure how it affects SSI, but.. my short-term goal is:

1. Have Blazer WORK LIKE IT IS SUPPOSED TO (It kinda sorta has recently, and I believe it can) and

2. Money, money, money!

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Eventually, get into a simpler vehicle.
Then find a good mechanic near your work that you can drop the car off at before work.
I've commuted to my current job for 6 years, most of it in the Neon, and not once did I need to get a ride to work. If I had an issue come up on the way in, I could drop the car off and they seemed to always be able to fit it in that day.
Also look into an AAA membership and their free towing. It can be handy at times even as just a free ride for you to get to work when your car is busted.

I like this advice--if my Jetta were to die tomorrow, I would not get another VW, for this simple reason. I'm nervous about taking my vehicles to garages in general, but why bother owning something that only a specialty place can repair, at your required level of properness?

AAA is nice. Just be warned: they have different levels. Mine is the first 5 miles free. One of these days I should up that. Also, IIRC while they will give you some free gas they won't give you free diesel. Just in case some diesel vehicle is high on your list (but see the point above about needing specialty shops).

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
3. Get Mel Kiper's college football picks and place a bet at Bovada.com using his advice. Make that $300 grow!
27.gif

30-to-1 shot like Tom Green?
smile.gif

I am trying hard no tot play scratch-offs. I know buying three in a row of any one yields best chance.

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
I have checking and savings. need to fill them back up! Also, I am in two credit unions. I have credit; it is maxed out right now.

Ok, I would come up with some sort of plan. You need to save some portion for repairs and whatnot; the rest to loan mitigation. Only you can come up with that plan. But if it was me, I'd probably pay min on loans until I had something like 2k in cash, then pay aggressive those loans off. Assuming you can pay them off in a year's time that is; if they are longer term than that, I'd probably split income between savings and payments.

Just IMHO.

I would also sit down and write out a budget. Put in every expense, and every income. Make it come out to some slightly positive number at the bottom. Then stick with it. Periodically review how you are doing; sometimes, we save for repairs that don't come. You can then decide if you want to leave that money alone in savings, or if you want to risk it and finish paying off a loan. As long as the emergency fund will carry you through whatever disaster might be around the corner, it might be a worthwhile risk.

Quote:
Quote:

I am trying to keep sane. This job givses me rhythm and income. Unsure how it affects SSI, but.. my short-term goal is:

1. Have Blazer WORK LIKE IT IS SUPPOSED TO (It kinda sorta has recently, and I believe it can) and

2. Money, money, money!

I'd give some thought before long as to where you want to be 1 year from now, 2 years from now, 5, 10, 25. Otherwise I'd fear being back where you are again. For myself, I don't do so well without long term goals (but I also don't do too good w/o short term ones either). Maybe right now the future is too far off; fair enough. Focus on now, get out of debt. But eventually you need to think about the future!

Then, when really successful: Keep flipping the 3rd, and/or Volvo.

To make a profit you will need to sell the cars for more then your initial purchase price plus all repair cost (parts and labor)

You need to reassess your diagnostic and mechanical skills, as well as your ability to identify true candidate cars.

Originally Posted By: cmorr

To make a profit you will need to sell the cars for more then your initial purchase price plus all repair cost (parts and labor)

You need to reassess your diagnostic and mechanical skills, as well as your ability to identify true candidate cars.

And flipping cars for profit is a very risky venture anymore , it's not like the good old days back in the 70's-early 90's when I did a lot of car flips . I was a mechanic back then and I knew good candidate vehicles and what would sell for a profit , you really need to know what to look for and what to walk away from .
I was also fortunate that I could do my own body and paint as well and I was fortunate to have a spray booth near by I could rent plus the old fellow that owned the shop taught me a lot about prep and painting so I got pretty darn good at it
smile.gif

I would be very careful about thinking flipping cars for profit now , there is too many dealers , laws and certificates that all factor into the game plus most cars I see are way overpriced and have too many miles on them . Just getting a car to pass the emission test here now in SW Ontario can be a horror show of sorts !!

I recently found a 2005 Ford Focus ZX5 with a stick shift and only 112K km (65K miles) for my youngest son at a local Ford dealer I know well . It was what he was looking for as a cheap commuter car , it was priced right and the condition was impressive and you could see it had been pretty well maintained . He got it for $2800 and it only needed a little brake work to certify it . He lives near North Bay ON so emission tests are not required but I have no doubt it would have passed . That car will last him for years with few problems if he continues to look after it and keep it rustproofed . I went with a 2005 because the engine has a timing chain instead of a belt and is the reliable 2.0 Duratec DOHC engine .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cmorr

This.

Be realistic. You've been caught in a torrent of wasted money on cars that you don't know how to fix, mechanics of questionable ability, and poor decisions on continued purchases....you've blown a greater % of your income on cars than anyone should. Your approach is frantic, everything is a crisis, but it is a crisis of your own making. You've bought lousy cars, and then thrown money at them until they die from a combination of abuse and ineptitude.

Stop chasing cars and focus on the basics: keeping your job, paying your bills, saving for the future. Stop spending even one extra penny on this latest piece of junk. Just drive it and fix as needed, stop trying to make it better.

The best car for you would be a simple 4 cylinder sedan, a few years old, (e.g. 2008 Corolla) purchased for cash (or at least partially for cash) a year from now. The maintenance cost on that would be so much less than you've been wasting on the heaps that you've bought that you could finally get ahead and begin a savings plan to improve your situation.

Real success for you will come when you have a nice place to live, reliable transportation, and enough savings to have the FREEDOM to make choices like: new cellphone, new car, vacation.

You have no freedom. You're trapped in a world of your own creation.

And I think Astro14 will agree that older Volvo's are not for those who are not mechanical . Great cars but you have to know how to fix multiple issues .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back