Help me decipher this Wix data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
I got an email back today from a Wix representative but can't quite make out what he's talking about with the Beta ratings. Here is his email:

quote:

These are all automotive type filters that use our T3 Media.

The overall efficiency during the filter's life, known as WAE (weighted
average efficiency) of ours is in the 95 to 96% range.

Beta: 2 =10, 20 = 25, 75 = 31. Average micron is 19.

Note: We also use a Silicone Anti-Drainback Valve (when required) in all
our Automotive type filters.

Wayne Smith
Product Manager Filters
DANA Canada Inc.
[email protected]

Here's a Baldwin engineering bulletin which explains beta ratings: http://www.kennedydiesel.com/engbull.html

Beta 2 on this filter is 50% capture (called nominal) of the 10µ particles. Beta 20 is 95% capture of the 25µ particles. Beta 75 is 98.5% (absolute) capture of the 31µ particles.

For comparison, Champ Labs told me that M1 filters are 10µ @ 75% (beta 3), and 20µ absolute (beta 75). Baldwin told me that their B2 filter is Beta 2=20µ and Beta 75=45µ. Racor told me that their LFS33835 transmission filter is 6µ abosolute.

Ken

[ February 04, 2003, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

If these Wix filters also flow as well as has been reported here, they may be the new darling of this website! Move over Supertech!
smile.gif

hi patman , i talked to red line today and just by chance i asked them what their fav and best filter on the market is even much better then mobil 1 and k&n....they said theirs tests should wix and napa gold are the very best even in the racing crowd

I was on the Wix website and looked up a few filters and compared their specs to the Purolator specs in the Purolator book. I noticed that Wix's bypass settings are lower. One that would be 12-14 in the Purolator application would be 8-10 in the Wix one for example.

Is this because the Wix flows much better? Or would the Wix end up going into bypass more often? (or less often?)

I am still waiting for the Dana rep to email back to let me know if AC Delco filters in Canada are identical to Wix (since they are also made by Dana) He was quick to respond to my questions on Tuesday, but totally ignored my email on Wednesday (maybe he was sick perhaps?)

I came into work this morning and the email was waiting in my inbox! Here is what the Dana rep told me:

quote:

Yes DANA makes a lot of the AC Delco brand in Canada. AC has their own
media which differs from ours in that it is more efficient right off the
start but has a shorter life. Most companies that we manufacture for have a
unique media just for their brand. We stock over 60 different types of
media in our manufacturing facility. What DANA does is try and get the
longest life, best flow with the best media without causing the by-pass
valve to open. Our filters will flow 7-9 GPM under normal operation. The
by-pass valve should only open on cold starts or if the filter becomes
plugged.

Wayne Smith
Product Manager Filters
DANA Canada Inc.

quote:

Originally posted by oilcanboyd:
i want to know more about the wix oil filter b/c i am thinking about using it.

Try doing a Google search on Wix and you'll find some good reading out there. The Wix website has some good info on it, plus if you key in your part number (from any other oil filter brand) it will give you a cross reference and all the specs on the Wix version for your car.

Patman,

so the Canadian AC/Delco's are better for short term use than the Wix since they have a media that is more efficient? I am not interested in maximize oil change intervals, so would this be a better filter choice for me over the Wix? Are those flow numbers are only for the Wix filters?

I believe those flow numbers are for the Wix only, although I've also heard higher flow numbers than that, so I'm not 100% sure.

For short intervals the Wix would still probably be better. If the Wix outflows the AC Delco, it will show lower engine wear.

Now that you're in tight with Wayne, why don't you ask him to confirm everything else that you (and we) want to know. This might be the golden opportunity to actually learn what a filter, any filter, can or can't do.

Wayne might be up to his eyebrows in proverbial alligators such as employee theft, shortage of parts, supply chains, etc. As a "manager" that doesn't mean he will know more than any contributor to this site. Like, I have a by-pass filter, how do I know even that I should CARE about the 'regular' filter? One theory is that it filters 30 times as thorough, 1/30th the flow rate, there should be very few particles in the 'regular' filter anyhow, change it twice a year and don't think about it too much
wink.gif

Any feedback on that and what filter is best, from Wayne, Sprintman, Patman, or anyone else, is of course welcome and invited, but right about now it's making me a bit confused
confused.gif

Rob

I don't think Wayne would reveal any big secrets. Based on his reply, and his avoidance of some of my questions, such as giving out the flow data for AC Delco, I'm sure his hands are tied (legally speaking) so he can't be totally candid with me.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I believe those flow numbers are for the Wix only, although I've also heard higher flow numbers than that, so I'm not 100% sure.

For short intervals the Wix would still probably be better. If the Wix outflows the AC Delco, it will show lower engine wear.

But if the AC/Delco has flow rates close to that of the Wix, what makes it better? Would the more efficient media of the AC/Delco have any benfits? Do you know of any retailers in Ontario that carry Wix filters? How do they compare in price versus the AC/Delco's at Walmart?

But I don't believe the AC Delco flows as good as the Wix. The AC Delco's slightly more efficient filtration would be better for a car driven gently, or all highway, but I feel the higher flow filters will show better wear numbers, especially for those of us who drive harder. There are many different types of media used on oil filters, so some might flow better but filter worse, while others might flow better but filter better. It all depends on how much of a synthetic blend they use in the filter too.

As far as where to get Wix, I've been told they are sold in UAP NAPA stores and Carquest. I did a Google search and found out there is a Carquest not too far from my house that I didn't even know about. I'm not sure on the pricing but if I have time after work (if traffic doesn't suck!) I will go pick up some Wix filters tonight. Otherwise I will go tomorrow. I'll report the pricing then. Although I bet the AC Delcos from Walmart, at $3.50 to $5, will be cheaper.

[ February 07, 2003, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

I phoned Carquest just now and he quoted me a price of $9.57 for the first line Wix filter and $5.80 for the second line Wix filter.

This is something you guys have to be careful of. Make sure you get the first line filter! This is what I was told by the Dana representitive, I guess the first line is the better filter. So you want to make sure you're indeed getting the better filter. I will email Dana again to see if I can get the details on the first line/second line differences.

Thanks for the great info on the Wix vs AC/Delco filters Patman. I may check out our local UAP/Napa parts store to see if they carry the Wix line of filters. I guess the Dana Rep isn't willing to give out any specifics on the AC/Delco filters?

Other filter makers also make low quality lines of filters. Baldwin makes Casite, I think Purolator makes V1 and SureFlow, and I'll bet that there are others.

Ken

It doesn't sound like he wants to give out the specs on the AC Delcos, but he sent me a real nice file with info on the two different kinds of Wix. The first line is the premium, second line is the value filter.

Instead of typing it all out, I just put it in my webpage. The file is below:

http://www.geocities.com/gattsls1/wix.html

So far I have been impressed with the CarQuest/Wix filter on my Jeep, although cleaning out the pan, screen, and a new oil pump have certainly helped
smile.gif
. It's the first time I don't get any lifter ticks at cold start, and the pressure has been slightly higher than before. I guess trying other filters such as the Bosch Premium will tell me for sure.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back