Random no crank on 95 ram 5.9

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it will start most the time. But once in a great while like. 1 in 20 starts maybe it'll go click. It may only click once or it may be 5 times in a row then it'll fire right up. I sat and kept starting it over and over with the lights on and with the lights on when it did it the lights stayed on.
The connections are all good battery has good voltage about 12.5
So I'm leaning to the starter but want to be sure before I replace it. What do you guys think?

Could that cause it to click when it doesnt start? The starter is what I believe is makes that click sound when it doesnt start.

Does it click repeatedly or just once? If it clicks once like something is engaging and then nothing, Id bet a sticking something inside the starter.

If it clicks repeatedly, seems to me that means the starter doesnt have enough juice from the battery...

Inlaws had an issue where the alternator couldnt keep up in the hot weather in their accord, so the battery would draw. Then occasionally the starter wouldnt work, though everything looked and seemed to check out OK. It was only after a full load test was done that you could see what happened... Because otherwise all stats seemed OK.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Does it click repeatedly or just once? If it clicks once like something is engaging and then nothing, Id bet a sticking something inside the starter.

If it clicks repeatedly, seems to me that means the starter doesnt have enough juice from the battery...

Inlaws had an issue where the alternator couldnt keep up in the hot weather in their accord, so the battery would draw. Then occasionally the starter wouldnt work, though everything looked and seemed to check out OK. It was only after a full load test was done that you could see what happened... Because otherwise all stats seemed OK.

it only clicks once.

Originally Posted By: Falken
Crank Position Sensor maybe.

A CPS will cause a no start but not prevent the engine from turning over.

That is why they are so hard to diagnoise

Originally Posted By: ram_man

So I'm leaning to the starter but want to be sure before I replace it. What do you guys think?

If the connections are all good you need to load test the battery. If you don't have a load tester (toaster will work just fine) just use the starter and the very same voltmeter that told you you have 12.5V at the battery.

If the battery is good you get to replace the starter. If the new starter doesn't help you'll know that you were wrong about the connections being good.

Originally Posted By: yonyon

If the connections are all good you need to load test the battery. If you don't have a load tester (toaster will work just fine) just use the starter and the very same voltmeter that told you you have 12.5V at the battery.

If the battery is good you get to replace the starter. If the new starter doesn't help you'll know that you were wrong about the connections being good.

so how do you do a load test? You lost me at toaster lol

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
CPS.

Nope.
The CPS does not have the ability to not let the starter turn over. The starter is your problem, OR despite seeing good connections, there is a connection fault. The only 2 possibilities.

so how do you do a load test? You lost me at toaster lol

A toaster is a thing like this. It's an inexpensive battery load tester that gets hot and makes smoke from burning off all the dust inside. They're not expensive so it's possible that someone you know has one. Failing that, read the voltage at the battery while holding the key in the crank position.

Perform a voltage drop test at your battery and also at the starter. Make sure your grounds are good too. Your battery is good. More than likely your problem is the starter solenoid. HTH

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Starter solenoid ... Although it seems to be more common on Fords.

I agree with starter solenoid.

If it just clicks once and you cycle the key and it may start fine, or click once 3 or 4 more times before it starts normal its probably bad contacts in the starter.

You can buy the contacts and plunger on ebay for $15, just search for Starter Solenoid Repair Kit Dodge. The parts will fit many Japanese and Domestic vehicles.

I did this repair on a 95 Camry with the exact same symptoms and it was fairly simple.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Starter solenoid ... Although it seems to be more common on Fords.

I agree with starter solenoid.

If it just clicks once and you cycle the key and it may start fine, or click once 3 or 4 more times before it starts normal its probably bad contacts in the starter.

You can buy the contacts and plunger on ebay for $15, just search for Starter Solenoid Repair Kit Dodge. The parts will fit many Japanese and Domestic vehicles.

I did this repair on a 95 Camry with the exact same symptoms and it was fairly simple.

isnt the solenoid built into the starter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back