Windshield moulding coming off...

Status
Not open for further replies.
About four years ago the windshield had to be replaced on my truck. The installing shop replaced the windshield moulding with an aftermarket piece that is now coming apart. It split at the lower passenger side corner and wind/car washes worked it loose on the entire passenger side. I knew it had started to split, but didn't notice the extent until today when I started trying to track down where water on the passenger side floormat and airbag cover came from.

So obviously the moulding is done, but I am not positive on how I should go about replacing it. The two glass shops I talked to today had differing opinions.

One shop said that to replace the moulding, they would need to pop out the whole windshield and reseal it at $125...not much less than a whole new windshield for this truck. Another shop I called said that the moulding should be replaceable without popping the windshield loose and should be much less than $125.

I'd rather not have to reseal the windshield, but given that some water got in after the moulding came loose, should I? My understanding is that the moulding is primarily decorative, but does it function to direct water away from the main seal? I am just not sure if the little bit of water I found inside (not much) indicated the whole thing should be resealed, or if it was just normal for some water to get in on a windshield with very compromised moulding.

Assuming just replacing the moulding will take care of the water entry and the wind noise that's driving me nuts, can it be done with the windshield on? It's coming off easily enough. I'm pretty sure I could just pull it all the way off easily, but don't want to try until I have a replacement moulding in hand. The moulding has channels that fit around the windsheild except in the corners. It seems like a new one could be worked into place with some patience, even though it is one piece on this vehicle for the entire windshield.

I went to Pull-A-Part today to see if I could luck out with some moulding there. The only Rangers with moulding that would fit my truck were in rough shape and the moulding wouldn't budge. The channels that attach to the windsheild would just rip off...but these trucks had about a decade on mine and what appeared to be original moulding. What's on my truck is much softer and pliable.

Also, I'm guessing the window places are the only real source for new moulding? I couldn't find it on Rock Auto under windshields or weatherstripping.

Thanks for any pointers on this...simple problem, but annoying, and this is the first time I have ever had windshield moulding fall right off. I wish the shop that installed the windshield four years ago would have just reused the OEM moulding instead of giving me this Chinastrip.

I had my S2000 windshield replaced a year and a half ago, the glass shop carefully removed the OEM moulding and reuse it and so far so good. They said that original OEM moulding is the best, even the dealer moulding isn't as good and China moulding is the worse.

Yeah, I should have at least asked for the OEM piece back. It was fine when the windshield was replaced. The thought did cross my mind at the time, but I didn't really anticipate this, at least not in four years.

Right now black duct tape is keeping it from flapping around.
crazy.gif

This is the price one pays for flush glass.Remember the old days with chrome trim and metal clips? Those days are gone.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
They said that original OEM moulding is the best, even the dealer moulding isn't as good

If you mean the Honda dealer's molding, then the dealer's molding for your S2000 is IDENTICAL to the one that was installed on the line; it was made on the SAME machinery with the SAME resin.

I agree that the molding is just decorative. It's the sealant that keeps out the water.

I had leaks on my '91 Ranger but the windshield was good. I found a local glass shop that re-caulked around the old gasket without removing the windshield. That works fine. When the windshield dies, it'll get a new gasket.

On mine, and I am not sure because of the body style differences on your later model, there are two other things to consider.

-I had to find the molding clips at a place on-line. As I recall they are common to older Fords but there aren't that many older Fords running around anymore that need them. It was also really surprising to learn how many types of molding clips there are for Fords and others. I had my old ones so I could visually match them on-line. Weird. I then gave the extras to the windshield guy and the source for the clips to the company. [I'd had the windshield on my Accord replaced due to cracking and then asked about resealing the Ranger. We were all happy at the end.]
-The other is, and I don't recall if your truck has them, but check the roof gutters. They can leak where they attach to the roof and it can let rain in. I ended up masking the roof seam then applying clear silicone and it stopped that source. Obviously, with an almost 23 year old truck, time takes it's toll.

Hope this helps.

The moulding indeed does not seal. When I bought my Focus last year, I quickly found out the the replacement windshield was leaking water even though the original OEM moulding was in perfect shape.
Fortunately for me the leak was coming from the top area. Upon inspection I found out the the sealer behind the moulding was very sloppily applied and there must've been small gaps that would allow water through. I just bought some transparent outdoor caulking, partially lifted the moulding and stuck the end of the caulking gun into the the area behind the moulding. I filled the cavity for the entire length of the windshield until some of the caulking was coming out and then wiped everything with some mineral spirits.
So far no leaks.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
They said that original OEM moulding is the best, even the dealer moulding isn't as good

If you mean the Honda dealer's molding, then the dealer's molding for your S2000 is IDENTICAL to the one that was installed on the line; it was made on the SAME machinery with the SAME resin.

No, It wasn't about Honda S2000 moulding.

The glass shop means any dealer moulding isn't as good as original moulding from the assembly line. He had much more returns from using dealer moulding than reuse original moulding. Unless the original moulding was in bad shape, he likes to reuse it to save customer (and himself) some money.

So I ended up getting a new windshield today.

Went to the glass shop that told me the moulding might be replaceable. It was just a call center person I talked to on Saturday. The tech that looked at my truck today said I had two options...they could find the leaks, add sealer, then glue the moulding back in place. Option two was to just replace the whole thing. He said because it was an "encapsulated" windshield, the moulding came as part of the windshield and was not separately replaceable. He also said chances of removing the old windshield without breaking it weren't good.

Even though this truck is a beater, I didn't really want to fool with chasing leaks and gluing moulding. The new windshield was $150 out the door installed an hour later, and it's a Pilkington. It seems comparable to the old PGW in quality. I should get to see if this one is leak free tomorrow.

I suspect when I wrecked the truck a while back, it may have broken or damaged the main seal and it just recently got bad enough to leak, so I can't really fault the last shop. The windshield was leaking on the side of the truck that was damaged, and there was a faint creaking noise from that area in the cab that is now gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back