Marine 8V92 Detroit (trouble shooting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
60'Viking with 2 8V92's. Port engine runs perfect. Starboard engine won't go above 800rpms. No water coming out exhaust & was probably overheated by previous captain.
What kind of damage could owner be looking at. No blow-by. No water in oil. Just won't gain any rpms. Thoughts?????

Last edited:
8V92's only need 2 things. Fuel and air. First pull the air filters, and test. If no change, pull the fuel filters, drain and check for water. Fill and re test. If no change, pull the fuel return line, if no good stream runs out while running, the fuel pump is more than likely the culprit. If all these tests prove ineffective, more than likely the "rack" is out of adjustment,(including the governor and dead stop), or the injectors may be suspect.

Also, if electric or manual shutdown, make sure shutdown lever is free enough to not be causing a "shutdown" condition.

Thanks. I'll try the above. What bothers me is there is no water coming out exhaust.

Also it's been a few years since I worked on a 2 stroke.

Is 800rpm no load or under load?

The more pressing problem is that its not pumping water, that motor should heat right up, so I'm guessing 800rpm is no load? How did the motor overheat?

Check the impeller first, first step is getting it to run at temp and pump water.

Worst case its rebuild time, how many hours are on it?

Last edited:
Simplest thing ever on Detroits. Make sure the flap isn't closed on top of the blower.

I'm not positive marine engines have them but I know industrial gensets have them.

Hi there..I see it's your first post.

Thank you for responding.My mos in the Army was 63Delta. Your statement on checks and re-checks is 100 percent invalueable... and thankyou again for becoming a member.

sorry I meant bigwrench9+

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back