Verizon Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is for my parents who've had a family wireless plan for probably 15 years. Two cell phones, free nights and weekends, probably 450 anytime mintues on each for $59.99 plus fees I believe it is. Then a home phone which ran $56 per month with taxes and fees included.

So my brother gives them an Ipad for xmas so they now had a Verizon data pack added for $30/month. Then my mom's OLD phone stops working and I advise her to get another one for free and enter into a two year contract keeping the terms the same. My brother tells her you can get a free Iphone but there's an additional $30/mo charge for the data pack. This occured in June 2013.

End of August my dad's cell phone dies and I advise him to get a basic phone which is all he wants and enter into a 2 year contact to get the free phone. Keep the terms the same. Here's the problem:

He comes home with a PREPAID phone from the verizon store. They tell him $100 will last him a year with unlimited text, data and minutes. None of this is on their website. So two weeks later he's out of minutes and they want $50 more. There's a daily access everytime the phone is used for $2. I don't know, I get a different story everytime I inquire with Verizon and nothing is in writing. Now they tell me it's a prepaid card he bought.

We go to the Verizon store last Saturday for an hour trying to unravel the mess. The first sales agent wants the original sales person to re-do everything but he's not available. I call for a manager who gets involved in all the details. He loads $50 in credit on the prepay phone while the mess is being sorted out. He says he will call me tuesday to let me how everything has worked out. Again this is after an hour in the store. Get a call tuesay at 4pm from the original sales person wanting to schedule an appt for us to come back in and re-do everything. The appt is now for 11am Sunday(tomorrow). So frustrating. Any thoughts, ideas etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see what the problem is.
13.gif

Originally Posted By: RamFan
I don't see what the problem is.
13.gif

I ran out of room, where I couldn't see what I was typing unless I keep scrolling down. So I started a new post.

So my thinking is to un-do the prepaid phone and go back to the family plan with my mom. Then they say you can't use the prepaid phone for the post pay Verizon service and need a different phone. Which doesn't seem to make sense.

The phone contracts are for the dogs. Buy a phone outright and go from there. Or T-Mobile you can buy it over 2 years, but you only ever owe the balance and still no contract.

I'm so confused.

So they still have the old plan, but the phones are dead? Or did the old plan terminate? If it is still ongoing they might still be able to get new phones and grandfather into the old agreement, but if it terminated you are out of luck. You would have to sign up for a new Verizon agreement, whatever you can get today.

The iPad agreement is a separate issue unless you can get Verizon to agree otherwise.

And the prepaid plan, well that's what your dad bought so right or wrong I doubt that is going anywhere. But there is no ETF right? So other than being out of some money at this time there isn't any ongoing charge, is there?

Does Verizon have a home phone service through the cellular network like Sprint? With Sprint, if you have a contract with them already it is only $20 a month or so to add the home phone. Assuming they need a home phone that is.

Yeah I'm confused also. Getting different answers from mom, dad and Verizon. Forgot to add they also signed up for the Verizon Home Phone service. The family plan terminated when my dad went off onto this prepay phone. Both phones currently work. So the issue at hand now is getting my dad's phone taken care of and put back on the family plan with my mom. Convert the prepay phone to post pay phone and part of the family plan with my mom. So Verizon land line $20, Ipad data pak $30, Iphone data pak $30, Mom's base phone plan $40. Add dad back on to a family plan with my mom for $60.

Wow...well first off, get rid of the landline, unless that's where they get their internet.

It sounds like Dad didn't have a contract with his prepaid, so yes return it and get him a new phone.

I hate Verizon.

Your parents need better phones and ONE child who helps with decision makings. Sounds like you and your brother have conflicting opinions about what's best for your parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back