A washing machine question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry if this isn't the place to ask it but I couldn't find any other topics that seemed to suit. My problem is my washing machine isn't spinning during the spin cycle. I feel pretty confident that the bearing on/under the transmission is worn out or at least gunked up. This is a problem because its machine pressed onto the transmission and I don't want to replace the whole thing just for bad bearings. Is there any oil or spray I can safely use to clean and re lube them to extend their life a bit. Do I have any options for getting someone to remove the bearing? Auto shop maybe? Or should I just pack it in and buy a new washing machine. It's a frigidaire gallery top load if anyone was curious.

Originally Posted By: Brandonb
I'm sorry if this isn't the place to ask it but I couldn't find any other topics that seemed to suit. My problem is my washing machine isn't spinning during the spin cycle. I feel pretty confident that the bearing on/under the transmission is worn out or at least gunked up. This is a problem because its machine pressed onto the transmission and I don't want to replace the whole thing just for bad bearings. Is there any oil or spray I can safely use to clean and re lube them to extend their life a bit. Do I have any options for getting someone to remove the bearing? Auto shop maybe? Or should I just pack it in and buy a new washing machine. It's a frigidaire gallery top load if anyone was curious.

Youtube has tons of information on washing machine repairs. I found a good video on how to replace my washing machine pump on there.

Check out this link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jf03vj1fbU

Regards, JC.

I am by no means a washing machine repair man (or even very handy) but I was able to fix my own machine about 6 years ago.
There was a plastic or nylon bushing that connects the motor to mechanicals under the tub and it became distorted/ripped which caused noise when engaged. When I went to the parts shop they sold me a more heavy duty bushing and it's been working great ever since.
This unit is a Whirlpool bought in 1992 and gets a lot of usage. (They don't make them like that anymore.)

PS: I would take the machine apart and check it out...there really isn't much to (older) washers and dryers, IMO....

Our 20 year old Kenmore would not spin out last week. The cover switch was bad. $40 for the service call, and a free used switch, we are back in business. The service tech put a pen down into the switch, if it starts to spin, the switch is bad. If not, it is some other issue. We thought it was the rotary dial, thankfully that was no it - that part is around $100.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
does you local power company fix them?

Never heard of this. Do they do that?

About 4-5 years ago my front load washing machine went crazy, it made extremely loud noise while spinning, the drum and its spinner were broken and the parts alone were more than $200. I bought a slightly larger front load LG with direct drive motor on sale for less than $300 (after several rebates from manufacture, Lowes, water company and gas company, total rebate was more than $300).

A washing machine life is about 8-10 years with usage of 2-3 loads a week. After in service for 10 years I would replace it.

I'm at about seven years right now so I feel like I'm in a bit of a grey area on replacement. Honestly it feels like me vs the machine and I want to win by fixing it!!!! The transmission itself isn't bad, I've completely disassembled it and verified its components and changed the oil. When it goes into spin the whole transmission spins on top of a bearing, that bearing is what's not performing but it's been pressed on with equipment way more heavy duty than anything I have! The belt roller for the motor is a bit worn too but it appears to also be permanently attached and it pulls the belt the opposite way for agitation. I think it's also frustrating me that it has so many good components that to toss it because the cheap ones wore out, but are incidentally attached to good ones, and that just drives me nuts! On the other hand anyone have any recommendations for a new brand? From my readings I get the impression frigidaire wasn't a good brand of washer in the first place.

8-10 years at 2-3 loads/week? Hmm, we're at 8 years, and these days I think it gets a load/day. Might explain the funky smell I get at times...

I say, I wish it had a readout of some sort. For error codes. Flashing and beeping only goes so far. Once a magnet fell out of the drawer, and a couple of times the filters/strainers plugged up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back