Any one use K&N Pro Series (black can, no nut) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a new 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L 2wd.

Owner's Manual states to change filter every other OCI. I will change at every OCI.

Also, I will be using either M1 or PP Full Synthetic 0w-20 and follow the OLM till 5-10%.

I can buy 5 K&N Pro Series #PS1010 oil filters from RockAuto for $30 shipped.

Has anyone here ever used the Pro Series black can oil filters from K&N?

I could not find any specs on these filters.

Thanks for your input.

They appear to be the 'standard' grade Champ filter, nothing special. Same as STP, Supertech, ACDelco, etc. Do I have any proof of this? Nope. Just educated speculation.

Now that Champ and Fram are sharing DNA, who knows what are inside K&N filters now.

I picked up a case from APT over a year ago.

They felt pretty well made - no flex when gently squeezed. The construction reminded me more of WIX than an economy filter. They were all American made and worked well for my 6k intervals.

They must feel a hole in their lineup for someone who wants to spend $6 and get something slightly premium.

Either they use the same media but less pleats
the same media and surface area but cheaper ADBV/ hardware
The same everything but a thinner can
The cheap stuff in a thicker can

Start cuttin!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
They appear to be the 'standard' grade Champ filter, nothing special. Same as STP, Supertech, ACDelco, etc. Do I have any proof of this? Nope. Just educated speculation.

Now that Champ and Fram are sharing DNA, who knows what are inside K&N filters now.

well supertech filters no longer exist(new for sale anyhow), and the only 2 stp filters i've ever dealt with (part of a oil+filter special) the one for the vibe was ok..., while the one for the neon was a frakkin' E-Core.
I remember reading that the white can (Nut) is basically the same as the M1 filters.
I hope K&N wouldn't slap their name on a e-core...

Last edited:
I have a couple at home I picked up. If memory serves, they're Champ Labs made. They have the distinctive Champ Labs blue button inside, they're not E-cores (for this application, at least) and they have a silicone ADBV.

I think if you google you'll find more info here on Bitog. I did a little searching after I picked them up.

But, K&N seems to have switched filter suppliers, so new ones you buy may not be made by Champ Labs (or Fram Filtration, I should say).

I saw small a selection of them (only about 3 distinct p/n`s ) a few months ago and nowhere on the box did it claim a silicone ADBV. Nor did I notice the claim made anywere on the Pro Series module of K&N`swebsite.

I certainly wouldn`t go out of my way to buy one, I mean I think an economy filter is an economy filter whatever extra effort or ingenuity companies might put into their filters is probably reserved for their premium lines.

5 for $30 is an OK price but not huge deal on an economy filter IMO. If there are $7 filters here in Canada I imagine there must be $6 filters in the US.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: earlyre
Bottom_Feeder said:
I remember reading that the white can (Nut) is basically the same as the M1 filters.

They might share media with M1, but I don`t think it`s just a repainted M1 with a nut on top of it. For straters the white series K&N claims to have extra capacity, which is believable because in every application I`ve come across they are slightly but noticably longer than their M1/Wix/Fram/Bosch counterparts.

Thank you Jay for the insight. I beleive your presence on this forum is helping build your customer base even further.

Mr. Buckley,

Thank you for the clarification on the old & new K&N's. I have a question about what Fram is currently selling:

Would you know, and would you be permitted to say if the current version of the Fram XG line sold in Cnanda is the exact same thing as Ultra in the US or is the Ultra a direct successor to the K&N including the enlarged capacity can?

The XG's sold in Canada, while heavier, seem to be the identical lenght as the PH & TG lines.

I remeber the K&N HP1002 being a bigger than a 3614 (but NOT as big as a 3600). And the HP1010 being a bit taller than 7317 although in this application there was less of a difference.

Can such enlrged filters still be obtained from Fram (or a Fram based private lable) with the premium media?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back