2011 Terrain GM 2.4L Dexos 5w-30 8066mi on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 GMC Terrain 2.4L 4cyl GM-Dexos 5w-30 8,066mi on oil, 24,976 on vehicle. (3rd oil change). Oil/filter changes have been done by the dealer.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the first two oil changes analysed. I have ran the oil until I usually get to about 20% of oil life as indicated by the dash readout. I became concerned about the engine after receiving a notice from GMC about an issue with poor plating on the balancer chain. As explained in the oil analysis from Blackstone, the metals are high.
sick.gif
I am debating if I should bring these numbers to GMC or wait and do another oil change and see where the numbers are then.
confused.gif

I have also posted the letter from GMC about the issue.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

img002.jpg
img003.jpg

welcome2.gif
to BITOG.

I don't know much about these engines but that Iron level seems a little high with 24K on the engine. You may have the issue described in the letter you posted. I'm not sure if GMC would do anything though based off of your UOA, there would likely need to be observable symptoms. Have you noticed anything like described in the letter?

I'd have it fixed. One less thing to worry about. Make sure the dealer has a rental car that will be provided to you. Nip it in the bud. A stretched chain can lead to a disaster. Welcome aboard!

They are going to do the same as RAM with their pinion nut recall, play the odds and hope it doesn't blow. You would think they would want to replace the chain before it takes the engine out which equals more money to fix. Darn BeanCounters!!!

I think that 2.4 is a DI engine and the UOA indicates thinning and fuel dilution.
I wouldn't go over 5K on an OCI even using full synthetic.
The GM dexos 5w30 is a semi-syn. so 8K is a lot of miles, IMO.
I think the OLM is optimistic in this case...

how the oil consumption? there is a fix for all of the problems with this engine. new pistons and rings, new high pressure pump, new chains and guides.

We have noticed an occasional rattle when starting the engine but it's not consistent. I wouldn't say it's noisy at idle but I was listening to it today and I could hear a few slight "rattles". Of course this can drive you crazy trying to judge if it's noisier today than a month ago.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
welcome2.gif
to BITOG.

I don't know much about these engines but that Iron level seems a little high with 24K on the engine. You may have the issue described in the letter you posted. I'm not sure if GMC would do anything though based off of your UOA, there would likely need to be observable symptoms. Have you noticed anything like described in the letter?

You may be right, 6,000 would probably be better. GM did flash the computer some time back to lessen the perhaps overly "optimistic" oil change interval.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I think that 2.4 is a DI engine and the UOA indicates thinning and fuel dilution.
I wouldn't go over 5K on an OCI even using full synthetic.
The GM dexos 5w30 is a semi-syn. so 8K is a lot of miles, IMO.
I think the OLM is optimistic in this case...

No appreciable oil consumption. Certainly no oil added between changes. When I took the oil sample through the dipstick tube, the oil wasn't low.

Originally Posted By: jkhawaii
how the oil consumption? there is a fix for all of the problems with this engine. new pistons and rings, new high pressure pump, new chains and guides.

Iron and Chromium are too high and seem to fit with the warnings in the Letter. Reduce your oci to 5k max,while you decide what to do. You may want to contact an Attorney.

I agree with the numbers, entirely too high. I would disagree with the attorney for now. Up to this point I haven't expressed my concerns to the dealer or GMC. They deserve time to look into my issue. I will give them time to respond. Having been somewhat in the industry, I know when a customer starts using the "A" word, goodwill can evaporate. I will give them a chance to make it right. The extended warranty that was provided to cover this issue was a good first step I feel.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Iron and Chromium are too high and seem to fit with the warnings in the Letter. Reduce your oci to 5k max,while you decide what to do. You may want to contact an Attorney.

Don't threaten with an Attornery. You may need one to make sure your car is properly and completely fixed and/or advise you of any other rights you may have .

It looks to me to have all the conditions described in the letter. High wear metals, low viscosity, high fuel dilution, low flashpoint. It needs to be fixed ASAP.

Terrible report. Low flash, oil sheared, wear metals are concerning. Lower the OCI for sure.

awfully nice to see GM step up. But these engines are already known to be harsh on oil. So it can't be a big surprise to everyone here.

I agree with Nate1979, simply choose a syn or syn blend and see what happens.

Note that the sampling method interests me due to the way the oil stratifies in the sump after sitting even a few minutes. This could be a clue...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back